• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Dermys Season 2014/2015

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#1 Offline dermy - Posted June 13 2014 - 8:54 AM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

So I decided to make a photo-bucket account so I could share more pictures on here of my Dermy 2014 Season. It's looking good here are a few of my "nest" designs:

IMG_1424_zps4db07548.jpg

This is where Zeoxy's Colony is residing at the moment, won't be too long until I will move her into this bin:

b92b7c13-dbfe-452e-be29-4a12ace51766_zps

Currently my other colony[mainly just beetles as I keep boosting Zeoxy's colony with all the larvae that come out of it] is in it. Here is a picture through the viewing hole, which is then reclosed to keep the light out.

IMG_1435_zps26601cf1.jpg

Here is a picture of Zeoxy's Colony:

IMG_1429_zpsc634f536.jpg

So far 2014 is shaping up to be a successful year for Dermestids. Hopefully it is also a good year for other things, like wasps and worms.

Edited by dermy, June 18 2015 - 10:41 AM.

#2 Offline Crystals - Posted June 13 2014 - 12:17 PM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

The larder beetles I found were unable to climb plastic.  I have used those cheap deli sandwich containers, or any container with a flat bottom to give them some room.

Imagine how many you could have in a plastic shoe box.  :D

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#3 Offline dermy - Posted June 13 2014 - 3:09 PM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

Mine can't climb either, I just made these cages to make things more dark and such.

I will one day have a whole bin full of these[I hope] and when I do I will show you how much can fit in a plastic storage bin[shoebox]

#4 Offline Mads - Posted June 13 2014 - 5:27 PM

Mads

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationInnisfail, Alberta, Canada

Go ask any cricket farm for some if you want more. They were a huge hassle when I was producing crickets on a commercial scale.

Mads

#5 Offline dermy - Posted June 15 2014 - 8:23 AM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

Thanks Mads, but for this colony, I'm just using what I have[they breed fast enough as is, plus I like their new home, even built them an auto-watering device, that i'll show you all pretty soon.

#6 Offline dermy - Posted June 15 2014 - 9:06 AM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

It's been a few more days since last update. Yesterday I made a cool new watering system[I'll get better pictures tomorrow]
Here is a picture of a larva drinking out of the watering system and here is the amount of frass that has developed all ready!
IMG_1488_zps44c382e9.jpg
IMG_1489_zps7d11399c.jpg

#7 Offline dermy - Posted June 16 2014 - 2:51 PM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

Here is my newest idea, Dermy Factories:
IMG_1532_zps9e7bcb25.jpg
Basically you put in a female[or two] and they lay eggs inside[with the food you provide] and the larvae can exit IMG_1530_zps41d820ea.jpg
Here is my whole set[not all of them are in use just the ones in the back]
IMG_1534_zpsd364a939.jpg

Edited by dermy, June 16 2014 - 2:52 PM.

#8 Offline dermy - Posted June 16 2014 - 2:54 PM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

IMG_1525_zpsc0e8990a.jpg

That's my small Attagenus unicolor colony, about 50+ larvae! They breed so slow, some sites say they can take up to 200+ days at best and up to 2 yrs if conditions suck! :o

#9 Offline dermy - Posted June 17 2014 - 4:20 PM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

I just finished boosting Zeoxy's Colony with about 10 more larvae, bringing it up to my boosting goal of 50+ which means all the larvae I find either in the Dermy Factories or anywhere else will be going into colony 2.

#10 Offline Crystals - Posted June 19 2014 - 6:27 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

With your Dermie factories, don't the females have to mate after every 2-4 egg batches?

Also, how will you know if they run out of food or die?

Is there a problem with just leaving them together in a larger container?

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

My Colonies

#11 Offline dermy - Posted June 19 2014 - 11:47 AM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

I can open them up[just undue the tape] I checked on them yesterday and they are doing fine. I think what I will do is let them have the first batch or so and add the females back into the colony and take out some of the other females so that way they can mate again and also have a drink or two :P.

There is not a problem with leaving them In a container I just wanted to mess around with something, ideas and such, but know that it's almost O.F.C. time I may have to re-group the colony and have the two colonies[Zeoxy's Colony and the Mixed Species Colony]

Zeoxy's Colony will not be partaking in the Over-Feeding Challenge as I don't want to mess with them yet.

Sorry if it doesn't make any sense, I like to do things "Outside the Box" and such. I'm weird and I'm proud of it :D

#12 Offline dermy - Posted June 20 2014 - 1:12 PM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

Here are some pics of Zeoxy and her Empire[some of them are of poor quality]
Zeoxy In Her Prime Form:
IMG_1655_zps2240cc21.jpg
IMG_1639_zps90646c5d.jpg
IMG_1659_zps02c9e3a8.jpg
I added a male to the mix today, so that way Zeoxy can mate again as I'm not really sure if she has laid any new eggs lately[no new larvae etc.]
IMG_1657_zps0e877a80.jpg

I'll keep you guys updated!

#13 Offline dermy - Posted June 20 2014 - 1:15 PM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

Here are a few new pics of the Mixed Colony, Dermestes lardarius and Attagenus unicolor:
IMG_1654_zpscc9afd6f.jpg
Here is what I have them working on, all the frass and other material from the old bins of this year, need to clean them out and what better way then with a dermestid beetle colony, so any eggs that haven't hatched/larvae that I haven't collected will be added to this colony, which currently sits at 40+.
IMG_1660_zpsb0b8b0b3.jpg

#14 Offline dermy - Posted June 23 2014 - 11:56 AM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

There are about 90+ in this colony now, hoping to hit the big 100+ soon!
I have begun feeding them more then 20 pieces of cat food now because I am afraid that If I don't keep them fed they may eat each other or worse eat me! laugh.gifJ/K wink.gif

Anyway I will post some pics up later on of this colony!

#15 Offline dermy - Posted June 23 2014 - 12:35 PM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

Here are a few pictures of the colony:
IMG_1725_zps596f0ba0.jpg
That one was taken at night time at around 3am :P
IMG_1724_zps253db170.jpg
Lots of food, I feel an Over-Feeding Challenge Coming....
IMG_1723_zpsb1623d8e.jpg
That one shows you just how many larvae this colony has, although there are some that are too small to post pictures of. Which is great news because that means there is always going to be new growth in the colony. Which is what I want in a colony like this. Hopefully I won't have any "Bust Cycles" coming this year. Especially since I plan to feed them a whole lot of food.

Hope you enjoyed the pictures!

#16 Offline dermy - Posted July 8 2014 - 10:43 AM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

More Pictures:
IMG_1905_zps325fb4bf.jpg

IMG_1908_zpsfb6f00c7.jpg

IMG_1910_zps34ef9422.jpg

IMG_1911_zps5f2af87d.jpg

#17 Offline dermy - Posted July 25 2014 - 3:32 PM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

Just thought I'd share with you how small the population was when I started updating with pictures two months ago [67 days to be exact!]
About two months ago, in late May [I think it was around May 22/2014]
a09abd34-85ea-4c89-b039-4952218178fd_zps
Now July 25/2014
3dd17b95-9715-4514-9436-965bbd50dbb6_zps
The population has [I'm just guessing here] tripled if not more! This colony is going to get massive now with more then 10 breeding females in it! I can't wait to share a picture of them in a month, I will post about the Over-Feeding Challenge tomorrow, as I think they will need more food by then!

#18 Offline dspdrew - Posted July 27 2014 - 3:27 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Soon you'll have enough to clean off an entire human skeleton. :)

#19 Offline dermy - Posted July 28 2014 - 12:02 PM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

It's even bigger then in that picture now, don't know why they are breeding so fast lately, I haven't went searching for any new ones to boost with, might do that soon.

Drew: Ah now all I need is a volunteer for the job, any takers? :P

#20 Offline Crystals - Posted July 28 2014 - 12:27 PM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

Drew: Ah now all I need is a volunteer for the job, any takers? :P

I can think of a few people he wouldn't mind dropping in a hole with them.  :D 

My Colonies

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users