• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Dspdrew's Pogonomyrmex californicus (bicolor) Journal [160] (Discontinued)

pogonomyrmex californicus dspdrew journal mojave desert california harvester ants

• Please log in to reply
132 replies to this topic

#81 Offline sgheaton - Posted July 20 2016 - 5:19 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Fantastic! Thank you.  Totally going to make a set up like this. Trying to decide on how to alter the watering/hydration though. 

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

#82 Offline PappyOPhyllum - Posted July 21 2016 - 11:54 AM

PappyOPhyllum

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationCity of Temecula, CA, U.S.A.

Just caught five P. californicus (concolor) queens the other day, and am planning on trying your dirt-jar setup, from the beginning of the thread, for those three queens. I have read your results, is there anything, other than less hydrostone, that you would have changed/done differently. As always, any help/info would be greatly appreciated.

•  
  •  

"Not one would mind, neither bird nor tree, If mankind perished utterly; And Spring herself, when she woke at dawn Would scarcely know that we were gone." ~ Sara Teasdale, "There Will Come Soft Rain"

#83 Offline dspdrew - Posted July 21 2016 - 12:49 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA
I actually did do something differently. I did this (https://www.formicul...ated-2-25-2016/).

If I did something different with any of these setups, I would use glass jars if possible.

#84 Offline Mickeyt - Posted July 22 2016 - 4:11 PM

Mickeyt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Great posts. Are the Pogonomyrmex queens fully claustral? I cannot seem to find that info.

#85 Offline dspdrew - Posted July 22 2016 - 6:26 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

This species is not fully claustral.

#86 Offline KaptainKibs - Posted November 26 2016 - 11:16 AM

KaptainKibs

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Update?

#87 Offline dspdrew - Posted February 27 2017 - 12:44 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA
Update 2-27-2017

I think by now the Pogonomyrmex tenuispinus I had in one of my vase setups is clearly dead, so I decided to move my Pogonomyrmex californicus colony into it. It'll be very hard to get them out of the giant ant farm I have them in now, so I just hooked some tubing up to it, and plan to let it dry out until they move themselves.

med_gallery_2_205_291943.jpg

med_gallery_2_205_415433.jpg

They immediately started exploring.

med_gallery_2_205_170396.jpg

It didn't take long at all for them to make it all the way up the tube and into the vase.

med_gallery_2_205_66947.jpg

med_gallery_2_205_26171.jpg

They also started customizing the tube right away by bringing sand in.

med_gallery_2_205_661809.jpg

They're probably going to just bring all their trash up to the surface of the vase setup for now until their nest gets so dry that they have to move. This colony is pretty big, so we'll see what they've done by the time I get home from work tomorrow.

#88 Offline sgheaton - Posted February 27 2017 - 6:02 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

All of my "cylinder ants" died. Sure, it was a flooding-watering mishap but meh....Here's hoping that yours turn out better! 

Why are you wanting to remove the (I call it this) "window pane"  Pogonomyrmex californicus into this set up? How are things in the "window" set up?

Was going to ask "How do you get them to move from the window to the cylinder" but caught myself. Would you do us all an experiment and take care of both set ups so instead of moving they do a remote colonization? 

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

#89 Offline dspdrew - Posted February 28 2017 - 1:31 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA
Update 2-28-2017

Well... to my surprise, this morning I found some of the P. californicus workers attacking the P. tenuispinus queen that I assumed was dead. They invaded the founding nest and pulled the queen out.

By the time i got home from work, they had dug a tunnel almost all the way around the vase about 3/4 inch below the surface.

med_gallery_2_205_549290.jpg

They also moved a lot of sand into the tube where it's attached to the ant farm.

med_gallery_2_205_1479503.jpg

#90 Offline sgheaton - Posted February 28 2017 - 6:46 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

And what has it been? Less than 48 hours and they are already tunnelin' away at the new set up?!

#91 Offline dspdrew - Posted February 28 2017 - 7:00 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

And what has it been? Less than 48 hours and they are already tunnelin' away at the new set up?!

Yeah, they love to dig.

#92 Offline sgheaton - Posted February 28 2017 - 7:44 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

They, being diggers, are still my favorite. I can't help but put human feelings, emotions, you know.. anthropomorphize with them. They'd rather...trek up a long winding snake tube simply to get to the new fresh dirt to dig?! Silly ants you've got all the dirt in the current set up! What kind of excitement pheromones were laid to that trail?!? I can only imagine the entire colony calling the first discoverer crazy...though that probably happens anytime something new is discovered.

Well....with them already excavating and laying the foundation for their next home....Give them...a week and you'll have a completely dug up cylinder? Your "fish tank" set up had pictures of you removing big ole scoops of dirt.  I really liked PTs cylinders, have bigger upgrade parts...but...there are complications with them I think. Do please try and keep pictures coming. I really enjoy them, and I'm sure others do as well, when they are posted correctly :P

• Martialis likes this

#93 Offline dspdrew - Posted February 28 2017 - 8:12 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I think they just want to explore a little further from their nest. They probably think they've gone about six feet from the nest entrance walking up all that tube. Oh and the Pogonomyrmex that dug out those massive amounts of dirt are my p. rugosus. These guys don't dig as much as them.

#94 Offline sgheaton - Posted February 28 2017 - 8:48 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

that's where I wasn't getting to into it. I don't remember exactly which Pogonomyrmex were which. I think the P. Rugosus were your "fish tank" set up. That was the type that I gathered a bunch of males from last year... Pretty sure that the library didn't do much to get rid of them. Call up my "spot the Pogonomyrmex nest pictures". 

Good to know the Rugosus are the super diggers. Noted for future gathering this year. 

#95 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 8 2017 - 10:58 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA
Update 3-8-2017

It's only been a couple of days, and they've already dug this much.

med_gallery_2_205_165806.jpg

med_gallery_2_205_687798.jpg

med_gallery_2_205_122251.jpg
  • sgheaton likes this

#96 Offline sgheaton - Posted March 9 2017 - 5:59 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Gonna be a silly question...

Do the ants dig in a pattern? Do they have... an order to how they dig, or do they dig simply to dig because dirts in front of them and they've got the diggin' dirt blues? 

About asked "how far down do they typically dig before setting up chambers" but remembered all the posts about digging up founding chambers to find queens. I guess what I'm saying is what happens when those ants get to the bottom of the cylinder? They've....reached the bottom! They won! Looking at your Pogonomyrmex. rugosus in the fish tank, those girls just went to town power digging upwards, downwards, and all throughout every bit of dirt you gave them. 

#97 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 9 2017 - 7:03 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Do the ants dig in a pattern? Do they have... an order to how they dig, or do they dig simply to dig because dirts in front of them and they've got the diggin' dirt blues?

Probably the latter.

I guess what I'm saying is what happens when those ants get to the bottom of the cylinder? They've....reached the bottom! They won! Looking at your pogo. rugosus in the fish tank, those girls just went to town power digging upwards, downwards, and all throughout every bit of dirt you gave them. 

Yeah, they just keep digging.

• Martialis likes this

#98 Offline sgheaton - Posted March 9 2017 - 8:59 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Power hungry mega diggers. Ok!

#99 Offline xTNxANTMANx - Posted March 25 2017 - 1:40 PM

xTNxANTMANx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationWest TN
Wow, was really kool to see your collection on the Live AntsCanada YouTube channel today!!! If I have it my way, I'll have a room just the same lol...dedicated to AntLove! You have done an amazing job dspdrew! If only I lived in Cali, I bet we would become good friends :) but TN I'm stuck in.
Keeping:
Camponotus subbarbatus
Camponotus pennsylvanicusx3 (founding)
Dorymyrmex bureni
Formica pallidefulva x3
Formica subsericea x4
Tetramorium immigrans

Have kept many other ant species but now keep over 100 tarantulas and other inverts! Mantids, centipedes, and scorpions to name a few šŸ˜

#100 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 25 2017 - 7:54 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Thanks.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pogonomyrmex californicus, dspdrew, journal, mojave desert, california, harvester ants

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users