• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Will ants cover wet cotton?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Works4TheGood - Posted August 6 2016 - 8:51 AM

Works4TheGood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • LocationState College, PA

If I use wet cotton on the floor of my formicarium for hydration, will the ants possibly cover it with substrate and eventually doom themselves?  Or, perhaps the ants will use the substrate in this way to achieve their desired moisture level!  Can anyone give me some insight here on what to expect?

~Dan

#2 Offline kellakk - Posted August 6 2016 - 12:37 PM

kellakk

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

In my experience, they'll either put their waste on it or bury it with substrate.  Either way you end up with gross, moldy cotton that needs to be replaced.

Current Species:
Camponotus fragilis

Novomessor cockerelli

Pogonomyrmex montanus

Pogonomyrmex rugosus

Manica bradleyi

#3 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 6 2016 - 12:55 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Camponotus love to put all their trash on the wet cotton.

#4 Offline Works4TheGood - Posted August 6 2016 - 3:28 PM

Works4TheGood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts
Wow! That sounds like a suicidal instinct! "Let's go make our trash wet and infected"
~Dan

#5 Offline Works4TheGood - Posted August 6 2016 - 8:17 PM

Works4TheGood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts
What if I cover the cotton with some mesh? Will they still pile their trash on the mesh?
~Dan

#6 Offline dermy - Posted August 7 2016 - 1:02 AM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

With my Myrmica colony they even ripped up the cotton and made nests inside it. They also put trash on it too and when it molds it molds quick! I'd suggest using something else other then cotton for larger colonies, it might not be too bad for a small colony of like 50. But after that the sheer numbers of ants dumping trash on it will cause big mold.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users