• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

I'm a little confused about laws on shipping queens across state lines...

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#41 Offline Subverted - Posted September 10 2016 - 11:04 AM

Subverted

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • LocationSoCal

This is a fancy way of saying whatever we decide it is, humans excluded.

When it comes to potential agricultural pests/pathogens...I think I'm ok with that. Sorta a public health matter more than just a regulatory issue
  • Reacker likes this

My ants | My free feeder design | PM or email me if you need and 3d printing, cnc machining, or manufacturing done: http://www.lrmachining.com

Make your own mold/fungus/bacteria resistant test tube water! Don't get ripped off! Read my simple guide: http://www.formicult...-simple-how-to/

"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." - Isaac Asimov

#42 Offline dspdrew - Posted September 10 2016 - 11:49 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

When it comes to potential agricultural pests/pathogens...I think Im ok with that. Sorta a public health matter more than just a regulatory issue

What's the difference?

#43 Offline drtrmiller - Posted September 10 2016 - 1:34 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

When it comes to potential agricultural pests/pathogens...I think I'm ok with that. Sorta a public health matter more than just a regulatory issue

What's the difference?

Exactly.  The law, very much like its enforcement, is so overly broad, as to be virtually unenforceable. It is only when folks talk openly in public forums or smuggle with relative impunity that the responsible authorities are able to take action.

If there was a federal risk classification system, much like there is in California and other states, then there would be much more clarity and sensibility than currently exists.  Unfortunately, until a sizable commercial interest can justify such a policy change, the agricultural interests of "just say no to bugs" will continue to prevail.

• Myrmicinae likes this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#44 Offline dspdrew - Posted September 10 2016 - 2:14 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

"just say no to bugs"

:lol:

• Martialis likes this

#45 Offline Subverted - Posted September 10 2016 - 2:22 PM

Subverted

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Exactly.  The law, very much like its enforcement, is so overly broad, as to be virtually unenforceable. It is only when folks talk openly in public forums or smuggle with relative impunity that the responsible authorities are able to take action.

If there was a federal risk classification system, much like there is in California and other states, then there would be much more clarity and sensibility than currently exists.  Unfortunately, until a sizable commercial interest can justify such a policy change, the agricultural interests of "just say no to bugs" will continue to prevail.

The law says you can petition to have things removed (or add them)...

(2) PETITION TO ADD OR REMOVE PLANT PESTS FROM REGULATION
.—Any person may petition the Secretary to add a plant
pest to, or remove a plant pest from, the regulations issued
by the Secretary under paragraph (1).
(3) RESPONSE TO PETITION BY THE SECRETARY
.—In the case of a petition submitted under paragraph (2), the Secretary
shall act on the petition within a reasonable time and notify
the petitioner of the final action the Secretary takes on the
petition. The Secretary’s determination on the petition shall
be based on sound science.

My ants | My free feeder design | PM or email me if you need and 3d printing, cnc machining, or manufacturing done: http://www.lrmachining.com

Make your own mold/fungus/bacteria resistant test tube water! Don't get ripped off! Read my simple guide: http://www.formicult...-simple-how-to/

"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." - Isaac Asimov

#46 Offline Leo - Posted September 23 2016 - 11:16 PM

Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

I opened a bag of grapes from malaysia ( i live in Hong kong ) and i found a small colony of ants (with the queen ) between to grapes

#47 Offline Canadian anter - Posted September 24 2016 - 4:22 AM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada
GXF opened a mangosteen and found a erromyrma Latinoides colony inside
Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#48 Offline AntDomination - Posted March 9 2017 - 7:30 PM

AntDomination

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationArglye, TX

OI mate

#49 Offline Serafine - Posted March 10 2017 - 1:20 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

The USPS is prohibited from opening domestic First Class mail. No one would know if ants were transported between states except the receiver and the sender. Only international imports and exports are subject to inspection.

Yes, to open domestic mail they would need a warrant...but anyone who is on this forum or any number of facebook groups already provides more than enough probable cause for that should they be investigating the matter.

Nah, they haven't caught AlabamaAnter yet so there's no reason to believe they'll catch anyone.

Also the current US administration doesn't care about any invaders that have more than two legs because they can't get banned for what they believe.

Edited by Serafine, March 10 2017 - 1:21 AM.

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#50 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted March 10 2017 - 5:16 AM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado
I thought I told you I haven't shipped for like 3 months?

YJK

#51 Offline Serafine - Posted March 10 2017 - 5:32 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

But you did for a pretty long time and they didn't catch you. And I'm very sure you're not the only one here, so we should have heard by someone who got in trouble but nothing so far. These departments seem pretty much to be just paper tigers.

• Martialis likes this

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#52 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted March 10 2017 - 7:05 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

I never reported, because I didn't think some brat kid's family of unknowable circumstances should have to pay thousands of dollars for these mistakes.

To any other ignorant children on this forum (reformed or no): stuff like this is why we created the sandbox and why the posts of junior members are going to eventually be omitted from the feed. You are guests on a forum which values professional conduct in adherence to local environmental law. Trade across US state borders is strictly illegal. Breaking environmental laws just so you may be indulged with a purposeless exotic pet is an incredible disappointment to the hobby, the scientific community, and to conservation. This forum becomes less fun for everybody, including professional myrmecologists, when its members contradict its principles.

Edited by Batspiderfish, March 10 2017 - 7:06 AM.

• T.C. and AntsMaryland like this

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#53 Offline Socalfireants - Posted March 10 2017 - 7:13 AM

Socalfireants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Its not a good idea to ship. Most ants can't be properly identified by basic ant keepers. We need to stop spreading invasive species. I don't know what part of this some of you guys don't get. 

#54 Offline T.C. - Posted March 10 2017 - 7:29 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

I never reported, because I didn't think some brat kid's family of unknowable circumstances should have to pay thousands of dollars for these mistakes.

To any other ignorant children on this forum (reformed or no): stuff like this is why we created the sandbox and why the posts of junior members are going to eventually be omitted from the feed. You are guests on a forum which values professional conduct in adherence to local environmental law. Trade across US state borders is strictly illegal. Breaking environmental laws just so you may be indulged with a purposeless exotic pet is an incredible disappointment to the hobby, the scientific community, and to conservation. This forum becomes less fun for everybody, including professional myrmecologists, when its members contradict its principles.

I was thinking the same thing when you said you reported him. 90% of the world, at least, would have no idea you can't ship queen ants, and most wouldn't even be able to tell a queen from any other ants.

“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#55 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted March 10 2017 - 3:08 PM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
I also learned from a Californian antkeeper that it is illegal to actually put the ants in the mail.

YJK

#56 Offline drtrmiller - Posted March 10 2017 - 8:57 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

I also learned from a Californian antkeeper that it is illegal to actually put the ants in the mail.

Yeah, they might chew out of the envelope before the sorting system crushes their little guts out.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#57 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted March 11 2017 - 6:38 AM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts

Yeah, they might chew out of the envelope before the sorting system crushes their little guts out.
Squish.... :(

YJK

#58 Offline AnthonyP163 - Posted March 11 2017 - 1:05 PM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
  • LocationWaukesha, Wisconsin.

Rowstid

Sorry I had to.

Anyway, I agree with this. If you got caught, your parents would have had to pay thousands of dollars just because you wanted exotic species, your lucky nobody reported you and thanks for stopping.

Ant Keeping & Ethology Discord - 2000+ Members and growing

Statesideants.com - order live ants legally in the US

#59 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted March 11 2017 - 2:00 PM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts

Anthony, please do not make me tell...

YJK

#60 Offline Derpy - Posted February 12 2018 - 4:04 PM

Derpy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts
  • LocationSan Jose CA
Are you allowed to ship ants within state borders?

-1x Parasitic Formica Sp. Colony

-1x Pogonomymrex Californicus Colony

-1x Camponotus Hyatti Colony

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users