• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Hello from Massachusetts

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline noebl1 - Posted April 18 2016 - 11:30 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • LocationNorthern Massachusetts

Just starting out...  always been fascinated by ants (and nature in general), and as a kid had a couple "ant farms."   First one like others was the original uncle milton kind that went no where obviously.  When I was a teenager, my father worked at a biotech company that searched for natural biological solutions for pest issues in homes such as termites, ants, cockroaches, etc.  Knowing my interest in science, they'd send him home with cool stuff for me to play with from time to time.  They sent him home one day with a Camponotus Pennsylvanicus colony for me to check out.  Pretty simple impromptu lab setup where they used a TV tray and a glass plate over the top cut to size.  Lasted a couple months unfortunately as I really didn't know at the time how to take care of them properly (also suspect they may have been used to test one of their means of elimination ;) )  In recent years as a home owner, living in the woods, routinely have to deal with C. Pennsylvanicus, but this time around more as an invasive pest.

Over the years enjoyed keep fish and kept saltwater reef tanks for many years.  Fun hobby, but got too expensive with electrical bills and way too much time having to micromanage it daily due to testing, chemical additives, etc.

Also really into computers, electronics and technology and projects related with them.  One of the pieces I'm hoping to do is some automation around whatever formicarium setups I do to monitor temp, humidity, manage lightning, etc.

Been really impatient (like a little kid) this season looking for my first queens (quite a few hopeful posts to the ANT ID subforum.)  Had a great weekend hunting with my daughter in the woods for queens/etc, and believe to have found a small starter colony for maybe a C. Americanus (http://www.formicult...sachusetts-usa/)   

Already met some nice people on the forum as well, one even offered a connection locally to a couple Prenolepis imparis queens if I could drive down to meet them.  Pretty friendly forum so far  :)

Edited by noebl1, April 18 2016 - 11:39 AM.

#2 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 18 2016 - 5:59 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Good to hear. Welcome. :)

#3 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted April 23 2016 - 8:41 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Hello. :D

#4 Offline Crystals - Posted April 24 2016 - 6:27 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

Welcome!

You might some good information and link here - http://www.formicult...of-handy-links/

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users