• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Camponotus sp. majors dueling

camponotus majors dueling ice house canyon trail mt. baldy california

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 10 2014 - 8:20 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

This one Camponotus nest out on Ice House Canyon Trail near Mt. Baldy, California had tons of dueling majors for some reason. I don't recall ever seeing them do this before. They were all doing this just as they were coming out to forage right after it got dark.

#2 Offline James C. Trager - Posted April 10 2014 - 9:42 AM

James C. Trager

Expert

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Territorial interaction between two colonies, I'd say. I've seen this in some other Camponotus spp.

#3 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 10 2014 - 12:03 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Really? I'm almost positive these were all coming out of the same nest. Also I dropped one somewhere near another nest once and it got in a brutal fight with the other major, not anything like this. I kind of thought it would probably be similar to what Oz Ant's Myrmecia ants are doing in this video, and we know for a fact they are from the same colony.

Edit: I was back out there again, and these were dueling like this again. They are definitely from the same colony, and i didn't see any of the other colonies doing this... weird....

#4 Offline Matt - Posted April 10 2014 - 2:34 PM

Matt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationFrance

Strange behavior. Two hypothesis come in mind:

• I know that in some species, Major are eaten when there is a lack of food (protein?).
  • But this behavior seems to be a real fight against two ants of different colonies. So, one of them could have lost its recognition pheromones? (water, sugar on its antennas...?)

#5 Offline Crystals - Posted April 11 2014 - 6:11 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

I have seen this kind of fighting with the local Camponotus herculeanus, usually where 2 nest borders meet.  Camponotus vs Camponotus.

I have never seen them lay into another Camponotus the way Formica do, with rolling around and such.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#6 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 11 2014 - 7:27 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Strange behavior. Two hypothesis come in mind:

• I know that in some species, Major are eaten when there is a lack of food (protein?).
  • But this behavior seems to be a real fight against two ants of different colonies. So, one of them could have lost its recognition pheromones? (water, sugar on its antennas...?)

There were lots of dueling pairs.

#7 Offline Matt - Posted April 11 2014 - 9:39 AM

Matt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationFrance

So, no idea.

#8 Offline Mercutia - Posted May 5 2014 - 10:41 AM

Mercutia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

I've read somewhere in someones journal that sometimes if the ants eat particularly smelly foods it can sometimes throw off the pheromone scents so that they become unrecognizable to each other and think they are from differing colonies. It's not permanent, but momentarily they confuse each other for intruders.

I wonder if that might be what happened?

#9 Offline dspdrew - Posted May 5 2014 - 12:50 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I'm thinking probably not, because they do this every time they come out of the nest after dark. It's also not just two of them, but tons of them.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: camponotus, majors, dueling, ice house canyon trail, mt. baldy, california

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users