• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Is anyone else bored?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Foogoo - Posted December 29 2015 - 3:23 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

I sure am. Ants at home not doing much since it's cold. No chance of any mating flights. Not even any colonies out and about worth checking out. Hopefully things start warming up here soon!

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#2 Offline Ants4fun - Posted December 29 2015 - 3:47 PM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota
Yeah, I can't wait until spring. I think next time I might reverse hibernate a colony, that way I can enjoy them in the winter.

#3 Offline Miles - Posted December 29 2015 - 7:31 PM

Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationFlorida & Arizona

This is the time that you should be preparing for next year. Perfecting your supply organization strategy. Watching YouTube videos about how others do things and learn from them. Order those supplies you know that you need for next season. Winter can be a drain, or it can be exciting because you use it to prepare for the coming spring - an opportunity to better yourself as an enthusiast. Maybe even read a book on ants?

• ctantkeeper and BrittonLS like this

PhD Student & NSF Graduate Research Fellow | University of Florida Dept. of Entomology & Nematology - Lucky Ant Lab 

Founder & Director of The Ant Network. Ant keeper since 2009. Insect ecologist and science communicator. He/Him.

#4 Offline dspdrew - Posted December 29 2015 - 8:12 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I can't even fathom what it's like to be bored.

• Crystals and Gregory2455 like this

#5 Offline jjjakes - Posted December 29 2015 - 9:35 PM

jjjakes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

I don't know about you, but just because it's winter doesn't mean you can't do ant things. Heck I even found a Solenopsis alate a few days ago, she's already started laying eggs. But that's not even what I'm really excited about.  

#6 Offline dermy - Posted December 30 2015 - 3:58 AM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

Haha you guys got it easy, come live in Canada where we have like a foot of snow if not more in some places. We are just nearing the time of the Year where the temps just plunge down to -30C and even lower....

• Roachant likes this

#7 Offline Foogoo - Posted December 30 2015 - 7:35 AM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Haha you guys got it easy, come live in Canada where we have like a foot of snow if not more in some places. We are just nearing the time of the Year where the temps just plunge down to -30C and even lower....

You do have a point there...

I'm just going stir-crazy indoors and I find hiking boring with no ants out. Maybe it's time for another ADHD hobby...

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#8 Offline Jonathan21700 - Posted December 30 2015 - 9:35 AM

Jonathan21700

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts

I thought ants are active all year round in SoCal.

#9 Offline Alza - Posted December 30 2015 - 1:31 PM

Alza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • LocationThe Village

They are...Just not the ones you want.

• Foogoo likes this

#10 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted December 30 2015 - 7:11 PM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

i couldn't agree more with you guys, i'm extremely bored since i cannot collect anything / observe the ants i own, but i feel that the winter provides a necessary break form the hobby (to keep me fro being overwhelmed and to keep the hobby fresh and interesting). and as miles put it, it's a great time to restock on important supplies and to build upon our own knowledge by reinforcing it with the experience and research of others. plus doing something new for a change can't hurt (I've been reading a lot of science fiction novels in in my spare time). i miss the little gals though.... but when spring comes, i will be ready!!!

#11 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted December 30 2015 - 11:19 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Yep...

#12 Offline Crystals - Posted January 4 2016 - 3:28 PM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

I can't even fathom what it's like to be bored.

:lol:

I must have too many hobbies and a lot of family members, I haven't been bored in years...

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#13 Offline Roachant - Posted January 4 2016 - 3:35 PM

Roachant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Quebec, Canada
I wish I had time to be bored...
But as far as ants go, I did a reverse hibernation on the colonies I got from CrystalS and they are keeping me ANTertained until I can take out my other colonies from the fridge.
Still, I already miss spring and summer..

#14 Offline dermy - Posted January 8 2016 - 2:25 PM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

I really miss just being able to go out without putting on so many layers it sucks in Canada in the Winter. I can't wait till May that's "usually" when Camponotus flies!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users