• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Fix Wikipedia "Formicarium" Article

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline drtrmiller - Posted December 12 2015 - 8:42 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

https://en.wikipedia...iki/Formicarium

The page is so sad.  It's like a Charlie Brown Christmas Tree.

• Gregory2455 and ctantkeeper like this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#2 Offline dspdrew - Posted December 13 2015 - 7:11 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

:lol:

There seems to be a bit of misinformation there too.

Or just... weird information.

"Some owners shake their formicarium every few days so that the tunnels cave in, allowing them to observe their ants digging new tunnels. However, this practice can compromise the safety of the ants and may be considered a form of animal cruelty."

:wtf:

At least they're linking to the right forum. :D

• dermy and LC3 like this

#3 Offline dermy - Posted December 13 2015 - 2:14 PM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

This is what I hate about Wikipedia, anyone can literally edit anything! Trust me I should now I did it in highschool, I put false information on some random page :lol:

#4 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted December 13 2015 - 3:11 PM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

a few years back a kid going to my school wrote on our school's wikipedia entry that he was the king of rocky hill high school lol

#5 Offline drtrmiller - Posted December 13 2015 - 3:19 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

The point, is that "ant farm" also redirects to "formicarium," so it's likely that hundreds of thousands to millions of people peruse the article each year.

Edited by drtrmiller, December 13 2015 - 10:54 PM.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#6 Offline antmaniac - Posted December 13 2015 - 5:30 PM

antmaniac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 507 posts

They could have copied pasted that "...shake their formicarium every few days..." from some user instruction manuals. You would be surprised to find how some of the user instruction manuals are written these days.

#7 Offline Barristan - Posted December 14 2015 - 12:36 PM

Barristan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • LocationBindlach, Bavaria, Germany

Why don't you fix it by yourself?

I fixed this error not long ago in Atta sexdens article: https://en.wikipedia...oldid=677333792

On another webpage the error is still there: http://animaldiversi...s/Atta_sexdens/(I sent an email to the admin in November).

Wikipedia is all about collaboration. But if you just complain about an article in a forum it won't improve at all...

Edited by Barristan, December 14 2015 - 12:41 PM.

• Subverted and LC3 like this

#8 Offline drtrmiller - Posted December 23 2015 - 12:59 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Saw something similar with the "Honeypot Ant" article today.

After talking to my friend about honeypot ants, he naturally found the Wikipedia article, and was excited to learn about all the different colors of honey pot ants—red, blue, yellow, green, etc.  An anonymous user in New Jersey had edited the article in 2009 to say "These ants are also known to change colors. Some common colors are green, red, orange, yellow, and blue."

Took 6.5 years, during which people added additional colors and referred to the ants as Pikmin, but it's finally gone.

Edited by drtrmiller, December 23 2015 - 1:01 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users