• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Who else still has dud queens from summer?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Foogoo - Posted November 27 2015 - 5:09 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

I still have two P. rugosus, one P. californicus, and one C. vicinus hanging around. The Pogonomyrmex have laid eggs but they always disappeared. So far I'm just letting them hang out.

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#2 Offline dspdrew - Posted November 30 2015 - 6:33 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I've got a bunch; mainly Camponotus.

#3 Offline PTAntFan - Posted December 2 2015 - 11:22 PM

PTAntFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • LocationBurbank, CA

I have two Pogonomyrmex queens.  Both had 1-3 or 4 brood develop into workers.  One of them lost her only worker the other day.  The others are in a tower with poor visibility and I almost never see them, but if I put Blue 100 in their tower, it always disappears within a day or so.

In other news, I gassed one of my remaining two Formica colonies.  It was just a boneheaded move.  I put some rubbing alcohol in their outworld to eradicate some books lice and then promptly put the lid on it like an idiot.  3 workers and the queen survived, but are in bad shape.

PTAntFan----------------------------------Pogonomyrmex Californicus*****************************<p>I use the $3 Tower I made up. See it here.

#4 Offline Crystals - Posted December 3 2015 - 7:35 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

I have several dud queens.

3 Formica neogagates who either never lay eggs, or eat them within day.  One is from last summer, so I have had her 17 months now (yeah, I feed her small drops of hummingbird nectar occasionally).

My Camponotus queen who never laid eggs last year, finally got 2 workers and now is taking off full steam with a tonne of brood.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#5 Offline dermy - Posted December 3 2015 - 10:02 AM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

I have a queen that just decided to lay eggs, hatch them then eat them. Does that count? It's Camponotus as well.

#6 Offline Foogoo - Posted December 3 2015 - 6:20 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

I have two Pogonomyrmex queens.  Both had 1-3 or 4 brood develop into workers.  One of them lost her only worker the other day.  The others are in a tower with poor visibility and I almost never see them, but if I put Blue 100 in their tower, it always disappears within a day or so.

In other news, I gassed one of my remaining two Formica colonies.  It was just a boneheaded move.  I put some rubbing alcohol in their outworld to eradicate some books lice and then promptly put the lid on it like an idiot.  3 workers and the queen survived, but are in bad shape.

Been there done that  :( . Killed my favorite Camponotus and her only worker. Speaking of which, is booklice any harm? I think those are the things crawling around my nests, but I've just let them be.

I have several dud queens.

3 Formica neogagates who either never lay eggs, or eat them within day.  One is from last summer, so I have had her 17 months now (yeah, I feed her small drops of hummingbird nectar occasionally).

My Camponotus queen who never laid eggs last year, finally got 2 workers and now is taking off full steam with a tonne of brood.

That's what I'm hoping for, that one day they will lay eggs. But right now, they're like graduate children living in my basement.

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#7 Offline drtrmiller - Posted December 3 2015 - 6:28 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

[Are] booklice any harm? I think those are the things crawling around my nests, but I've just let them be.

Quite the contrary. They're beneficial, as they consume detritus and other ant waste and will never prey on the ants themselves. In higher population densities, they may even be hunted by the ants for food.

Edited by drtrmiller, December 3 2015 - 6:29 PM.

• Foogoo likes this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#8 Offline PTAntFan - Posted December 3 2015 - 6:32 PM

PTAntFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • LocationBurbank, CA

My only beef with the book lice is that they swarm the food I provide and I cannot tell if that is a deterrant to the ants themselves eating.

PTAntFan----------------------------------Pogonomyrmex Californicus*****************************<p>I use the $3 Tower I made up. See it here.

#9 Offline NightsWebs - Posted December 3 2015 - 7:27 PM

NightsWebs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • LocationSo Cal

do dead queens count as duds? looking for a coastal P.californicus as I have several Pogonomyrmex but no queen she kicked the proverbial bucket

Current Colonies;

Acromyrmex Versicolor

Dorymyrmex Bicolor

Pogonomyrmex Californicus
Pogonomyrmex Rugosus

Pogonomyrmex Tenuispinus
Novomessor Cockerelli
Myrmecocystus Mexicanus

Last Update: 08 Jul 2016

#10 Offline Foogoo - Posted December 4 2015 - 7:56 AM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

do dead queens count as duds? looking for a coastal P.californicus as I have several Pogonomyrmex but no queen she kicked the proverbial bucket

So now it's a queen-less colony? I wonder if they'd adopt a colony-less queen, if they were introduced slowly. I see you're in Socal, you're welcome to try my dud if you'd like.

#11 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted December 6 2015 - 10:23 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I have a bunch still too.

#12 Offline dspdrew - Posted December 7 2015 - 7:06 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I've got so many colonies to take care of, I have started eliminating dud queens. I don't keep them as long as I used to, especially once the next anting season starts. At that point I'll just get new ones.

#13 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted December 7 2015 - 5:03 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I've got so many colonies to take care of, I have started eliminating dud queens. I don't keep them as long as I used to, especially once the next anting season starts. At that point I'll just get new ones.

Same. I stopped feeding dud queens that are not special. The only dud queens I still feed are the Camponotus sansabeanus, Formica fusca (she had workers that died in this summer's heat), and Dorymyrmex insanus queens that used to have workers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users