• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Ant photography thread

982 replies to this topic

#701 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted January 4 2022 - 4:35 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

Some of these pictures I'm about to post are not ants in the wild but I think I should post them nonetheless.

You can post any pictures of ants, doesn't matter if they are wild or captive.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#702 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted January 4 2022 - 5:00 PM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationA random state in the US

Some of these pictures I'm about to post are not ants in the wild but I think I should post them nonetheless.

wow love the neivamymex

1X Pogonomyrmex occidentalis 40-50 Workers

1X Solenopsis molesta 10 Workers (mono)

Ants I Want: Crematogaster sp, Camponotus Sp., Ponera Pennsylvanica, Mymercocystus sp.

My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube....kUjx-dPFMyVqOLw

Join Our Fledgling Discord Server https://discord.com/...089056687423489

#703 Offline NicholasP - Posted January 4 2022 - 6:00 PM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts
  • LocationGrand Rapids, Michigan

Thanks guys. I'm glad you like them.

#704 Offline WideBrownLand - Posted January 4 2022 - 9:32 PM

WideBrownLand

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • LocationQueensland, Australia

A Polyrhachis rufifemur in my backyard in Queensland. I think they are trying to start a colony in a nearby palm tree.

Attached Images

• DSC_1559.JPG

• ConcordAntman, Kaelwizard, Antkeeper01 and 4 others like this

#705 Offline WideBrownLand - Posted January 5 2022 - 8:11 PM

WideBrownLand

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

A Myrmecia nigrocinta that are very common in the bush near me in Queensland. They are called Jack Jumper Ants because they can jump very well.

Attached Images

• DSC_1268.JPG

• ConcordAntman, Antkeeper01 and PaigeX like this

#706 Offline PaigeX - Posted January 6 2022 - 6:26 PM

PaigeX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • LocationGympie, QLD, Australia

A Polyrhachis rufifemur in my backyard in Queensland. I think they are trying to start a colony in a nearby palm tree.

I legit asked a site when they will be selling more queens of these and they said they didn't catch any this year and I have to wait another year for one

Favourite Genus: Polyrhachis 

Journal: Main

Instagram: australian_polyrhachis

May God Bless you.

#707 Offline Leptomyrmx - Posted January 6 2022 - 6:38 PM

Leptomyrmx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

I legit asked a site when they will be selling more queens of these and they said they didn't catch any this year and I have to wait another year for one

My sister is also waiting for them to come in stock, if I've guessed the website you're talking about correctly. (Ants Everything, right?) Looks like you have some competition, lol.

She's also a fan of Polyrhachis.

• PaigeX likes this

My Ants:

Colonies: Camponotus humilior 1w, Opisthopsis rufithorax 11w, Aphaenogaster longiceps ~5w, Pheidole sp. ~235w ~15m, Iridomyrmex sp. 2q 1w, Brachyponera lutea 6w, Crematogaster sp. ~20w, Podomyrma sp. 1w

Queens: Polyrhachis cf. robinsoni, Polyrhachis (Campomyrma) sp. (likely infertile)

Previously Kept: Colobopsis gasseri, Technomyrmex sp., Rhytidoponera victorae, Nylanderia cf. rosae, Myrmecia brevinoda/forficata, Polyrhachis australis, Solenopsis/Monomorium

Key: Q = Queen, W = Worker, M = Major

Youtube Channel: Ants of Sydney - YouTube

Patreon (for YouTube channel): https://www.patreon.com/antsofsydney

#708 Offline PaigeX - Posted January 6 2022 - 6:44 PM

PaigeX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

My sister is also waiting for them to come in stock, if I've guessed the website you're talking about correctly. (Ants Everything, right?) Looks like you have some competition, lol.

Hahahaha yes that's the one! I'm happy there is someone else out there a fan of Polyrhachis too. I don't mind the competition as I see it joyful for others to get their wish ants. <3

• Leptomyrmx likes this

May God Bless you.

#709 Offline NicholasP - Posted January 6 2022 - 9:03 PM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts
  • LocationGrand Rapids, Michigan

Hahahaha yes that's the one! I'm happy there is someone else out there a fan of Polyrhachis too. I don't mind the competition as I see it joyful for others to get their wish ants. <3

Dang. I wish I lived in Australia now to buy Polyrachis.

• Antkeeper01, eea and PaigeX like this

#710 Offline WideBrownLand - Posted January 8 2022 - 8:30 PM

WideBrownLand

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

The very small and very difficult to photograph Cardiocondyla sp. from the Sunshine Coast, Qld. I am seeing these really small ants everywhere I go at the moment.

Attached Images

• DSC_0990.JPG

• ConcordAntman, Antkeeper01, SYUTEO and 1 other like this

#711 Offline WideBrownLand - Posted January 9 2022 - 12:45 PM

WideBrownLand

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

An unidentified Camponotus species that I have been seeing a lot of lately in the Sunshine Coast hinterland, Qld. I like the look of these ants, very sleek.

Attached Images

• DSC_1161.JPG

• Antkeeper01, antsandmore, eea and 1 other like this

#712 Offline M_Ants - Posted January 9 2022 - 7:10 PM

M_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationSan Diego CA
IMG 7983
IMG 7995
IMG 7987
IMG 7977

• Antkeeper01, eea, m99 and 3 others like this

Veromessor pergandei

Veromessor andrei

Crematogaster sp. 

Pogonomyrmex cf cali and rugosus

Various Pheidole

C. yogi 

https://www.youtube....FG7utFVBA/about

#713 Offline PaigeX - Posted January 10 2022 - 2:47 AM

PaigeX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

An unidentified Camponotus species that I have been seeing a lot of lately in the Sunshine Coast hinterland, Qld. I like the look of these ants, very sleek.

Looks like the White-Legged Sugar Ant - Camponotus Elegans. I have a lot around me too. they are very cute with their while legs and black bodies in the sun.

They have both Major and Miner ants. 

Edited by PaigeX, January 10 2022 - 2:48 AM.

• Antkeeper01 and WideBrownLand like this

May God Bless you.

#714 Offline WideBrownLand - Posted January 10 2022 - 11:58 AM

WideBrownLand

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Looks like the White-Legged Sugar Ant - Camponotus Elegans. I have a lot around me too. they are very cute with their while legs and black bodies in the sun.

They have both Major and Miner ants. 

I was leaning towards that but wasn't sure. There are a lot around.

#715 Offline ConcordAntman - Posted January 10 2022 - 11:59 AM

ConcordAntman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

I know this sounds silly but, I’m amazed at how dramatically different this is from C. pennsylvanicus, C. americanus, or C. novaeboracensis. In the northeast United State, Camponotus are generally huge ants. This appears so delicate. 

• Antkeeper01, PaigeX and WideBrownLand like this

#716 Offline PaigeX - Posted January 10 2022 - 3:39 PM

PaigeX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

I know this sounds silly but, I’m amazed at how dramatically different this is from C. pennsylvanicus, C. americanus, or C. novaeboracensis. In the northeast United State, Camponotus are generally huge ants. This appears so delicate. 

Yea there is some size different here with Camponotus.

Here are some pictures of the sizes from the 4 I have right now. Names going from Top test tube down. Same with their sizes. 

1st is a Camponotus I've been unable to ID. I know its not Camponotus consobrinus or Camponotus nigriceps. I did ID it as Camponotus Humilior for a while but realised its not it. I've also had them for over a month and they have not laid eggs.

2nd is Camponotus Aeneopilosus. The workers are small because those are her first nanitics.

3rd is Camponotus Elegans.

4th is Camponotus Humilior.

IMG_20220111_091654.jpg

Camponotus consobrinus is larger than all that I have pictured. Camponotus nigriceps is a little bigger than the top test tube queen.

• ConcordAntman, m99 and WideBrownLand like this

May God Bless you.

#717 Offline WideBrownLand - Posted January 11 2022 - 2:33 AM

WideBrownLand

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

As PaigeX  has mentioned there is quite a bit of size difference with ours as well. I will post a picture of Camponotus lownei which looks to my eye a lot different than most of the other Camponotus species I see, really chunky.

• ConcordAntman and PaigeX like this

#718 Offline WideBrownLand - Posted January 11 2022 - 2:40 AM

WideBrownLand

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

A Camponotus lownei and a Camponotus subnitidus ssp. famelicus. The chunky C. lownei is from Qld and the thin C. subnitidus ssp. famelicus was seen on a road trip through NSW. At first sight I thought C. lownei was Melophorus sp.

Attached Images

• DSC_9703.JPG
  • DSC_8110.JPG

• ConcordAntman, m99 and PaigeX like this

#719 Offline madbiologist - Posted January 11 2022 - 12:08 PM

madbiologist

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • LocationOhio

Some A. fulva photos!

IMG_0474.jpg

IMG_0478.jpg

IMG_0503.jpg

IMG_0511.jpg

• ConcordAntman, Kaelwizard, Antkeeper01 and 3 others like this

#720 Offline WideBrownLand - Posted January 12 2022 - 3:47 AM

WideBrownLand

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

A Nylanderia species that I found in my backyard in Queensland. 

Attached Images

• DSC_1764.JPG

• ConcordAntman, Kaelwizard, Antkeeper01 and 3 others like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users