• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Can Camponotus discolor have multiple queens?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AntsTopia - Posted March 28 2024 - 3:21 PM

AntsTopia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY and Managua, Nicaragua
Hi everyone! My friend in Florida caught two discolor queens a while ago and didn't know if he should put them together. He did not do so, but I'm still wondering what would've happened to this day. This question generally interests me because I have had colonies of C. Discolor myself since I lived in Florida. Does anyone know about this?

Keeper of:

Atta Mexicana x 1

Messor Barbarus x 1

Ants are just better.

#2 Offline futurebird - Posted March 28 2024 - 3:30 PM

futurebird

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 813 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

It seems very unlikely as this isn't how wild colonies are found. And really one queen is enough. Have you seen all these eggs I'm dealing with? 

Sometimes newly mated queen alates will tolerate each other when their nests are small, but one of them either leaves or the workers get rid of one of the queens. That's how it works with Camponotus nicobarensis. Camponotus isn't a genus well known for polygyny even if they love polydomy.

• AntsTopia and Artisan_Ants like this

Starting this July I'm posting videos of my ants every week on youTube.

I like to make relaxing videos that capture the joy of watching ants.

If that sounds like your kind of thing... follow me >here<

#3 Offline AntsTopia - Posted March 28 2024 - 3:35 PM

AntsTopia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts

It seems very unlikely as this isn't how wild colonies are found. And really one queen is enough. Have you seen all these eggs I'm dealing with? 

Sometimes newly mated queen alates will tolerate each other when their nests are small, but one of them either leaves or the workers get rid of one of the queens. That's how it works with Camponotus nicobarensis. Camponotus isn't a genus well known for polygyny even if they love polydomy.

Yeah they do lay a lot of eggs that's for sure. It would be cool if they could have another queen though. I think that C. Vicinus is the only polgynus one, right? 

Keeper of:

Atta Mexicana x 1

Messor Barbarus x 1

Ants are just better.

#4 Offline GOCAMPONOTUS - Posted March 28 2024 - 4:02 PM

GOCAMPONOTUS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • LocationRocklin,CA

I know C.vicinus is poly I had a colony with 6 queens and they tolerated each other, even after the several  Thousand mark.

• futurebird and AntsTopia like this

Currently keeping
1.Camponotus vicinus. 5 workers
2.Camponotus modoc. 5 workers
3. Camponotus hyatti. 1 worker
4.Veromessor pergandei. founding
5 Linepithema humile. 70-100 workers 5 queens
6. Pheidole Californica. 65 workers

I want: Atta,Myrmecia,Myrmica,Myrmecocystus

#5 Offline AntsTopia - Posted March 28 2024 - 4:19 PM

AntsTopia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts

I know C.vicinus is poly I had a colony with 6 queens and they tolerated each other, even after the several  Thousand mark.

wow

Keeper of:

Atta Mexicana x 1

Messor Barbarus x 1

Ants are just better.

#6 Offline Flu1d - Posted March 28 2024 - 4:24 PM

Flu1d

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  • LocationPensacola, Florida
C. planatus, if I remember correctly, are polygynous. You can add queens AND workers to established colonies. (Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm like 99.999% sure that somebody once told me that). I don't remember if any other Florida Camponotus species are polygynous.

I do know there's a Florida keeper who successfully managed to keep a polygynous C. floridanus colony, which goes against what we thought could happen. But it worked somehow.

Edited by Flu1d, March 28 2024 - 4:25 PM.

• GOCAMPONOTUS likes this

#7 Offline GOCAMPONOTUS - Posted March 28 2024 - 4:28 PM

GOCAMPONOTUS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • LocationRocklin,CA
Online I read most Camponotus are polygynous but they just don't tolerate each other.

Edited by GOCAMPONOTUS, March 28 2024 - 4:29 PM.

Currently keeping

#8 Offline GOCAMPONOTUS - Posted March 28 2024 - 4:31 PM

GOCAMPONOTUS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • LocationRocklin,CA

C. planatus, if I remember correctly, are polygynous. You can add queens AND workers to established colonies. (Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm like 99.999% sure that somebody once told me that). I don't remember if any other Florida Camponotus species are polygynous.
I do know there's a Florida keeper who successfully managed to keep a polygynous C. floridanus colony, which goes against what we thought could happen. But it worked somehow.

I believe you are right.

Currently keeping

#9 Offline The_Gaming-gate - Posted April 2 2024 - 12:07 AM

The_Gaming-gate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • LocationOrlando, Florida. USA.

Oh wow! I forgot anything besides C. floridanus lived here, haha. I never really recognized C. planatus are Camponotus due to their size, and I’d usually just think they are some sort of Formica without walking over to actually look. I feel very silly.

Edited by The_Gaming-gate, April 2 2024 - 12:08 AM.

Ants are small creatures... but together... they can rule the world.

#10 Offline Flu1d - Posted April 2 2024 - 11:26 AM

Flu1d

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  • LocationPensacola, Florida

Oh wow! I forgot anything besides C. floridanus lived here, haha. I never really recognized C. planatus are Camponotus due to their size, and I’d usually just think they are some sort of Formica without walking over to actually look. I feel very silly.

It's not silly, brother. They do look different from your typical Camponotus species here in Florida, so it's understandable! My goal is to one day get a C. planatus colony, but I'm in no rush. There are a lot of species I wanna keep so I'm just going with the flow.

#11 Offline The_Gaming-gate - Posted April 3 2024 - 10:42 AM

The_Gaming-gate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • LocationOrlando, Florida. USA.

It's not silly, brother. They do look different from your typical Camponotus species here in Florida, so it's understandable! My goal is to one day get a C. planatus colony, but I'm in no rush. There are a lot of species I wanna keep so I'm just going with the flow.

Agreed! I looked around today and found some C. planatus foragers! I hope I can catch a queen, but if not I’ll settle for C. floridanus. (They are pretty much a bigger planatus.)

Ants are small creatures... but together... they can rule the world.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users