• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

What is the best Southern NV beginner ant?

beginner ant southern nevada

48 replies to this topic

#21 Offline GOCAMPONOTUS - Posted March 3 2024 - 4:43 PM

GOCAMPONOTUS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 428 posts
  • LocationRocklin,CA

Most camponotus start slow but they speed up around their second year.

Currently keeping
1.Camponotus vicinus. 5 workers
2.Camponotus modoc. 5 workers
3. Camponotus hyatti. 1 worker
4.Veromessor pergandei. founding
5 Linepithema humile. 70-100 workers 5 queens
6. Pheidole Californica. 65 workers
I want: Atta,Myrmecia,Myrmica,Myrmecocystus

#22 Offline cooIboyJ - Posted March 3 2024 - 5:05 PM

cooIboyJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • Locationhenderson NV

ok

I LIKE ANTS!!!!

#23 Offline GOCAMPONOTUS - Posted March 3 2024 - 5:08 PM

GOCAMPONOTUS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 428 posts
  • LocationRocklin,CA

And when you go anting bring lots of test tubes/ vials.

• cooIboyJ likes this

Currently keeping

#24 Offline The_Gaming-gate - Posted March 27 2024 - 11:25 PM

The_Gaming-gate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • LocationOrlando, Florida. USA.

Carpenter ants and harvester ants are in your area but harvesters grow way faster than carpenters but they are some of the med sized in your area.

I never knew carpenter ants were that small! I always thought of them like the Dinomyrmex gigas of the U.S. Thanks for informing me!

Edited by The_Gaming-gate, March 28 2024 - 3:32 AM.

Ants are small creatures... but together... they can rule the world.

#25 Offline The_Gaming-gate - Posted March 27 2024 - 11:49 PM

The_Gaming-gate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

i think i want a medium sized ant that grows medium speed

that is also polymorphis

Pogonomyrmex is a stinging harvester species with majors, but they might grow a bit faster than you’d like.
Veromessor is a polymorphic harvester.
You should be able to slow down growth by changing how much seeds you give them, but they will try to make reserves in their nest.

Formica is a medium sized genus, they look like Camponotus, but do not have majors to my knowledge. They do have acid so, there’s that.

According to AntWiki, you have Neviamyrmex army ants. I wouldn’t try to keep them though.

Pheidole is another harvester.

Iridomyrmex may not have majors, but they are quite beautiful ants.

If you count repletes as polymorphic, you have Myrmecocystus and Prenolepis which are honeypot ants. Prenolepis is on the smaller size, however they shouldn’t try to escape. Both can’t live in test tubes when they get workers, since the workers need a rough surface to hang from. Buy a mini hearth from TarHeelAnts, or build one yourself.

Polyergus are medium sized, but no majors. They are social parasites, so you can take Formica ants and put them in a tube with the Polyergus and they’ll mix colonies if it goes well.

Edited by The_Gaming-gate, March 28 2024 - 11:52 AM.

• Artisan_Ants likes this

#26 Offline The_Gaming-gate - Posted March 27 2024 - 11:51 PM

The_Gaming-gate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
But for beginners I recommend Camponotus Carpenters which are large, and slow growing with majors. Lasius is also a good pick as long as you don’t let them escape. Do note that both of those have acid so if you leave them in a crammed test tube when disturbed, they may spray acid on themselves which will probably kill them all due to low ventilation.

#27 Offline Flu1d - Posted March 28 2024 - 1:07 AM

Flu1d

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationPensacola, Florida

Carpenter ants and harvester ants are in your area but harvesters grow way faster than carpenters but they are some of the med sized in your area.

What? Carpenter ants are quite literally the largest ants in the U.S. They are definitely not medium sized.

There are definitely smaller Camponotus species out there. Florida alone has SEVERAL of the Myrmentoma subgenus group species, such as C. discolor, C. decipiens, C. snellingi, C. nearcticus, etc. We also have Camponotus planatus, which is the smallest Camponotus species in Florida. I don't think he was stating that Camponotus are medium sized, but compared to other Camponotus species there are some that would be considered medium and even small. Some of our larger species in Florida are C. pennsylvanicus, C. socius, C. castaneus and C. floridanus. If you look at C. decipiens and C. discolor, they look like really small C. floridanus.

I'm pretty sure that's all they were saying.

#28 Offline The_Gaming-gate - Posted March 28 2024 - 3:28 AM

The_Gaming-gate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

What? Carpenter ants are quite literally the largest ants in the U.S. They are definitely not medium sized.
There are definitely smaller Camponotus species out there. Florida alone has SEVERAL of the Myrmentoma subgenus group species, such as C. discolor, C. decipiens, C. snellingi, C. nearcticus, etc. We also have Camponotus planatus, which is the smallest Camponotus species in Florida. I don't think he was stating that Camponotus are medium sized, but compared to other Camponotus species there are some that would be considered medium and even small. Some of our larger species in Florida are C. pennsylvanicus, C. socius, C. castaneus and C. floridanus. If you look at C. decipiens and C. discolor, they look like really small C. floridanus.

I'm pretty sure that's all they were saying.

That’s a fair point. In the pretty much man-made Central Florida I pretty much only find C. floridanus unless I look, so I never had much to compare too. They pretty much tower over most of the other common Florida ants such as Solenopsis and Lasius species. I shall now edit my comment.

#29 Offline GOCAMPONOTUS - Posted March 28 2024 - 6:07 AM

GOCAMPONOTUS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 428 posts
  • LocationRocklin,CA

that is also polymorphis

Pogonomyrmex is a stinging harvester species with majors, but they might grow a bit faster than you’d like.
You should be able to slow down growth by changing how much seeds you give them, but they will try to make reserves in their nest.

Formica is a medium sized genus, they look like Camponotus, but do not have majors to my knowledge. They do have acid so, there’s that.

According to AntWiki, you have Neviamyrmex army ants. I wouldn’t try to keep them though.

If you count repletes as polymorphic, you have Myrmecocystus and Prenolepis which are honeypot ants. Prenolepis is on the smaller size, however they shouldn’t try to escape. Both can’t live in test tubes when they get workers, since the workers need a rough surface to hang from. Buy a mini hearth from TarHeelAnts, or build one yourself.

Polyergus are medium sized, but no majors. They are social parasites, so you can take Formica ants and put them in a tube with the Polyergus and they’ll mix colonies of it goes well.

Their is no Pogonomyrmex in nevada that is poly

Currently keeping

#30 Offline The_Gaming-gate - Posted March 28 2024 - 12:01 PM

The_Gaming-gate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

that is also polymorphis

Polyergus are medium sized, but no majors. They are social parasites, so you can take Formica ants and put them in a tube with the Polyergus and they’ll mix colonies of it goes well.
Their is no Pogonomyrmex in nevada that is poly

You sure? Because P. rugosus really looks like they have majors.

Attached Images

• IMG_0321.png
  • IMG_0320.png

#31 Offline ReignofRage - Posted March 28 2024 - 12:43 PM

ReignofRage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 668 posts
  • LocationCalif.

NA Pogonomyrmex aren't polymorphic in the sense of having a major caste. They have worker size variaition of a singular worker caste.

Additionally, Pogonomyrmex is fast growing and not polymorphic, Formica isn't polymorphic, Pheidole is small, Iridomyrmex is non-existent in all of the United States, and Polyergus is not polymorphic - Myrmecocystus is a decent choice, but their majors aren't too distinct, though they do have repletes.

that is also polymorphis

For Nevada, a better suggestion for medium size, medium growth rate, and polymorphism (i.e. majors) would be Camponotus.

Edited by ReignofRage, March 28 2024 - 12:43 PM.

• Artisan_Ants and GOCAMPONOTUS like this

#32 Offline GOCAMPONOTUS - Posted March 28 2024 - 4:03 PM

GOCAMPONOTUS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 428 posts
  • LocationRocklin,CA

I second on Camponotus for a good species.

Currently keeping

#33 Offline Flu1d - Posted March 28 2024 - 6:27 PM

Flu1d

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts

NA Pogonomyrmex aren't polymorphic in the sense of having a major caste. They have worker size variaition of a singular worker caste.

Additionally, Pogonomyrmex is fast growing and not polymorphic, Formica isn't polymorphic, Pheidole is small, Iridomyrmex is non-existent in all of the United States, and Polyergus is not polymorphic - Myrmecocystus is a decent choice, but their majors aren't too distinct, though they do have repletes.

that is also polymorphis

For Nevada, a better suggestion for medium size, medium growth rate, and polymorphism (i.e. majors) would be Camponotus.

I absolutely love the fact Florida has P. badius, because their majors are awesome!
  • GOCAMPONOTUS likes this

#34 Offline GOCAMPONOTUS - Posted March 28 2024 - 6:30 PM

GOCAMPONOTUS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 428 posts
  • LocationRocklin,CA

I agree I went on an anting trip in Florida and found a badius colony and the worker size diversity is incredible!

Currently keeping

#35 Offline ReignofRage - Posted March 28 2024 - 6:35 PM

ReignofRage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 668 posts
  • LocationCalif.

I absolutely love the fact Florida has P. badius, because their majors are awesome!

P. badius are pretty nice. I meant to put NV rather than NA, but that's my mistake.  :pigflu:

• GOCAMPONOTUS likes this

#36 Offline Flu1d - Posted March 28 2024 - 6:36 PM

Flu1d

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts

I agree I went on an anting trip in Florida and found a badius colony and the worker size diversity is incredible!

They're the only truly polymorphic Pogonomyrmex species in NA :)

#37 Offline GOCAMPONOTUS - Posted March 28 2024 - 6:38 PM

GOCAMPONOTUS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 428 posts
  • LocationRocklin,CA

P. badius are pretty nice. I meant to put NV rather than NA, but that's my mistake.  :pigflu:

We all mess up sometimes :rolleyes: In my opinion they are the best harvesters.

Currently keeping

#38 Offline Flu1d - Posted March 28 2024 - 9:43 PM

Flu1d

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts

P. badius are pretty nice. I meant to put NV rather than NA, but that's my mistake. :pigflu:
We all mess up sometimes :rolleyes: In my opinion they are the best harvesters.

ReignofRage, you post so much accurate, quality stuff that a small typo like "NA" from "NV" is hardly a mess up. I think the majority of us probably knew what you meant!

To GOCAMPONOTUS, I absolutely adore P. badius, and I agree, they probably are easily my favorite Pogonomyrmex. That being said, I wish we also had P. rugosus because they are also extremely cool! I love the coloration on them.

Besides, you guys on the other side over there, on the West and Southwest get P. rhea! I WISH we had P. rhea! Our biggest Pheidole is P. obscurithorax. I do love them, however.. but I think we can all agree that Pheidole rhea blow them out of the water.

#39 Offline GOCAMPONOTUS - Posted March 29 2024 - 6:33 AM

GOCAMPONOTUS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 428 posts
  • LocationRocklin,CA

Yeah but P.rhea is mostly found in Arizona but in Cali we also get P.californica and they have a nice coloration. But I agree P.rhea is the best.

Currently keeping

#40 Offline Flu1d - Posted March 29 2024 - 11:46 AM

Flu1d

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Yeah but P.rhea is mostly found in Arizona but in Cali we also get P.californica and they have a nice coloration. But I agree P.rhea is the best.

We don't have any of the trimorphic Pheidole out here in Florida, you guys on the west coast have all of them 😭😂

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: beginner ant, southern nevada

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users