• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Camponotus.Ca02

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline GOCAMPONOTUS - Posted February 22 2024 - 2:56 PM

GOCAMPONOTUS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • LocationRocklin,CA

Does anyone have C.Ca02 or C.ocreatus or C.sansabeanus colonies? PM me. I was not able to find in the marketplace.

Edited by GOCAMPONOTUS, February 22 2024 - 2:58 PM.

Currently keeping
1.Camponotus vicinus. 5 workers
2.Camponotus modoc. 5 workers
3. Camponotus hyatti. 1 worker
4.Veromessor pergandei. founding
5 Linepithema humile. 70-100 workers 5 queens
6. Pheidole Californica. 65 workers

I want: Atta,Myrmecia,Myrmica,Myrmecocystus

#2 Offline Artisan_Ants - Posted February 22 2024 - 4:09 PM

Artisan_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationChester County, PA
Those are some pretty elusive species to FIND (at least from what I found) so yeah, they won’t be AS common in the Market.
  • GOCAMPONOTUS likes this

Keeping:

3x - S. molesta 

1x - C. chromaiodes

2x - F. pallidefulva

2x - C. cerasi

1x - B. depilis

2x P. imparis (colonies) 3x P. imparis queens (1x queen in test tube, 3x queens in test tube, and 6x queens in another test tube. Can't wait to see the results!)

Check out my C. chromaiodes journal here: https://www.formicul...aiodes-journal/

#3 Offline GOCAMPONOTUS - Posted February 22 2024 - 4:17 PM

GOCAMPONOTUS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • LocationRocklin,CA

Yea I was not able to catch any for over 2 years (I never found any) so I was wondering if anyone on the market had some.

Currently keeping
1.Camponotus vicinus. 5 workers
2.Camponotus modoc. 5 workers
3. Camponotus hyatti. 1 worker
4.Veromessor pergandei. founding
5 Linepithema humile. 70-100 workers 5 queens
6. Pheidole Californica. 65 workers

I want: Atta,Myrmecia,Myrmica,Myrmecocystus

#4 Offline ReignofRage - Posted February 22 2024 - 4:23 PM

ReignofRage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 667 posts
  • LocationCalif.

Those are not elusive by anymeans... C. us-ca02 fly en masse (hundreds to thousands of queens over one area during a single flight), C. sansabeanus are very similar depending on the area. C. ocreatus is the least collected, however I find that to be due to when people go anting and not scouting out dense spots rather than the quantity released during flights - largest collection from a single C. ocreatus flight I've heard of is >40 gynes.

The reason they are not "common" right now, is due to them simply not flying yet. Where are you getting any of this information about elusivity? Because it's greatly erroneous.

• gcsnelling and bmb1bee like this

#5 Offline bmb1bee - Posted February 22 2024 - 6:57 PM

bmb1bee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • LocationHayward, CA

Camponotus us-ca02? Wait until late March, maybe April. Everyone and their mother will be selling these, and in the dozens if not more. They're definitely not elusive; in fact they're rather widespread throughout SoCal. C. sansabeanus and ocreatus are actually available right now. Vern from www.antopiausa.com has some for sale.

"Float like a butterfly sting like a bee, his eyes can't hit what the eyes can't see." - Muhammad Ali

Check out my shop and Camponotus journal! Discord user is bmb1bee if you'd like to chat.

#6 Offline AntsCali098 - Posted February 22 2024 - 7:06 PM

AntsCali098

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 984 posts
  • LocationLong Beach, California (SoCal)
I'll be selling them as early as April
  • bmb1bee likes this

Interested buying in ants? Feel free to check out my shop

Feel free to read my journals, like this one.

Wishlist:

Atta sp (wish they were in CA), Crematogaster cerasi, Most Pheidole species

#7 Offline Artisan_Ants - Posted February 24 2024 - 8:49 AM

Artisan_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationChester County, PA
I’m just stating from what I’be seen in some ant stores. Camponotus us-CA02 tend to be pretty pricy, so I guessed that they were fairly elusive to those sellers. But yeah, they are more common when you look at the right time. I generally don’t know anything about the three species since they’re not from where I live obviously.

Keeping:

3x - S. molesta 

1x - C. chromaiodes

2x - F. pallidefulva

2x - C. cerasi

1x - B. depilis

2x P. imparis (colonies) 3x P. imparis queens (1x queen in test tube, 3x queens in test tube, and 6x queens in another test tube. Can't wait to see the results!)

Check out my C. chromaiodes journal here: https://www.formicul...aiodes-journal/

#8 Offline Mushu - Posted February 24 2024 - 10:34 AM

Mushu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationAlhambra, California

Antopiausa has small colony of C. Sansabeanus for sale

https://www.antopiau...n5ol6mh376hb35o

Nurbs has Ca02 listed for sale but last update was Dec 17, 2023. Worth a contact.

https://www.formicul...eens-available/

Edited by Mushu, February 24 2024 - 10:34 AM.

• GOCAMPONOTUS likes this

#9 Offline bmb1bee - Posted February 24 2024 - 10:46 AM

bmb1bee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • LocationHayward, CA

I’m just stating from what I’be seen in some ant stores. Camponotus us-CA02 tend to be pretty pricy, so I guessed that they were fairly elusive to those sellers. But yeah, they are more common when you look at the right time. I generally don’t know anything about the three species since they’re not from where I live obviously.

In this forum's marketplace, they're far from pricey. I usually see single queens go for $20-40, with small colonies being $35-60 or so. Pretty much typical Camponotus pricing, so they're definitely not supposed to be expensive (aside from the ant stores that you've been checking, which are clearly overpriced beyond belief if they're not within the range I mentioned).

"Float like a butterfly sting like a bee, his eyes can't hit what the eyes can't see." - Muhammad Ali

Check out my shop and Camponotus journal! Discord user is bmb1bee if you'd like to chat.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users