• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Queen ant

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Offline SegaGenitals - Posted February 21 2024 - 4:42 PM

SegaGenitals

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Found this queen on the tennis court at skyline country club in Tucson AZ. The day is 21feb24 and the habitat was Rocky. She is 7/16 in long and moves pretty slow and cautious

Attached Images

• IMG_0847.jpg
  • IMG_0843.jpg
  • IMG_0848.jpg

#2 Offline Artisan_Ants - Posted February 21 2024 - 5:29 PM

Artisan_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationChester County, PA
Unusual. Looks like Messor which is weird because Messor species are found in Europe and Asia. Best guess is some sort of Pogonomyrmex. Like P. rusgosus (please correct me since I am not fully sure). But I’m more on the Messor side. It could even be a Messor minor which is amazing. Strange find…

Edited by Artisan_Ants, February 21 2024 - 5:37 PM.

• futurebird likes this

Keeping:

3x - S. molesta 

1x - C. chromaiodes

2x - F. pallidefulva

2x - C. cerasi

1x - B. depilis

2x P. imparis (colonies) 3x P. imparis queens (1x queen in test tube, 3x queens in test tube, and 6x queens in another test tube. Can't wait to see the results!)

Check out my C. chromaiodes journal here: https://www.formicul...aiodes-journal/

#3 Offline TacticalHandleGaming - Posted February 21 2024 - 5:57 PM

TacticalHandleGaming

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 727 posts
  • LocationOregon

I'm no expert, but after looking I'd agree on Pogonomyrmex rugosus. Looks very similar to Dspdrew's queen from a few years back.

?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.formiculture.com%2F

Currently kept species

L. neoniger, P. occidentalis, C. modoc, C. novaeboracensis, C. vicinus, T. immigrans, A. occidentalis, S. molesta, P. imparis, M. kennedyi, M semirufus, F. pacifica, P. californica, M. ergatogyna.

Previously kept species

T. rugatulus, B. depilis.

Looking for

Myrmecocystus pyramicus, Myrmecocystus testaceus

Pheidole creightoni, Pheidole inquilina, Crematogaster coarctata, Crematogaster mutans

My youtube channel.  My ant Etsy store - Millennium Ants

#4 Offline Artisan_Ants - Posted February 21 2024 - 6:21 PM

Artisan_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
Yeah, upon further inspection, it is very likely P. rusgosus. The only strange thing is that she has flown in February when she should be flying in late summer like July, August, and September.

Edited by Artisan_Ants, February 21 2024 - 6:22 PM.

Keeping:

3x - S. molesta 

1x - C. chromaiodes

2x - F. pallidefulva

2x - C. cerasi

1x - B. depilis

2x P. imparis (colonies) 3x P. imparis queens (1x queen in test tube, 3x queens in test tube, and 6x queens in another test tube. Can't wait to see the results!)

Check out my C. chromaiodes journal here: https://www.formicul...aiodes-journal/

#5 Offline SegaGenitals - Posted February 21 2024 - 6:22 PM

SegaGenitals

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Thank you guys.  That's the closest I could come up with as well.  Time to research the species.  :) can't wait till trap jaws season!! 

Edited by SegaGenitals, February 21 2024 - 6:22 PM.

#6 Offline SegaGenitals - Posted February 21 2024 - 6:25 PM

SegaGenitals

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

It's gone from pretty cool to a sudden string of 80F degree days. Maybe it triggered a flight? Hopefully it wasn't just one colony that got bamboozled and she's had the chance to mate. 

#7 Offline TacticalHandleGaming - Posted February 21 2024 - 7:15 PM

TacticalHandleGaming

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 727 posts
  • LocationOregon

Yeah, upon further inspection, it is very likely P. rusgosus. The only strange thing is that she has flown in February when she should be flying in late summer like July, August, and September.

I'm wondering if she was kicked out from a colony she didn't fly from, or maybe she was scavenging for food?

• futurebird likes this

Currently kept species

L. neoniger, P. occidentalis, C. modoc, C. novaeboracensis, C. vicinus, T. immigrans, A. occidentalis, S. molesta, P. imparis, M. kennedyi, M semirufus, F. pacifica, P. californica, M. ergatogyna.

Previously kept species

T. rugatulus, B. depilis.

Looking for

Myrmecocystus pyramicus, Myrmecocystus testaceus

Pheidole creightoni, Pheidole inquilina, Crematogaster coarctata, Crematogaster mutans

My youtube channel.  My ant Etsy store - Millennium Ants

#8 Offline futurebird - Posted February 21 2024 - 8:32 PM

futurebird

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

My Pogonomyrmex occidentalis was always producing rouge alates. When it still had a queen there were three female alates that just popped up out of nowhere and maybe six or so drones. Then after the queen died the colony kept going for a loooong time making male alates in increasing numbers. I had to remove them from time to time as they were lazy bones (lazy exoskeletons?) and desperate to get out anyways. 

I wonder if rouge off season founding is a background survival strategy? If queenless colonies are always pumping out a trickle of males and now and then colonies with queens raise a few queens it might make for a more easy founding process. If this is an offseason queen I'm curious to see if she can produce workers. I suspect she will lay eggs and at least make males Pogonomyrmex do that, and even the workers seem to be able to lay eggs no problem when a queen isn't around.  Good luck!

Starting this July I'm posting videos of my ants every week on youTube.

I like to make relaxing videos that capture the joy of watching ants.

If that sounds like your kind of thing... follow me >here<

#9 Offline ReignofRage - Posted February 21 2024 - 9:21 PM

ReignofRage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 667 posts
  • LocationCalif.

The pronotum looks very off to be P. rugosus and much more akin to Veromessor pergandei. Let's not jump to firm conclusions based on mediocre pictures.

Side note: it's not unknown that P. rugosus have infrequent spring flights.

• Manitobant, bmb1bee and Artisan_Ants like this

#10 Offline bmb1bee - Posted February 21 2024 - 9:24 PM

bmb1bee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • LocationHayward, CA

I also believe it looks more like V. pergandei. They typically have nuptial flights around this time of year, unlike P. rugosus's flights after the summer monsoons. Though like Reign said, it's possible for P. rugosus to fly sooner.

• Manitobant likes this

"Float like a butterfly sting like a bee, his eyes can't hit what the eyes can't see." - Muhammad Ali

Check out my shop and Camponotus journal! Discord user is bmb1bee if you'd like to chat.

#11 Offline Artisan_Ants - Posted February 22 2024 - 4:36 AM

Artisan_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
ReignOfRage has a very good point. I thought that it was Veromessor, but then I got confused and thought it was Novomessor, and obviously figured out that it would not be a match. Yeah this is surely a V. pergandei.

Edited by Artisan_Ants, February 22 2024 - 4:40 AM.

Keeping:

3x - S. molesta 

1x - C. chromaiodes

2x - F. pallidefulva

2x - C. cerasi

1x - B. depilis

#12 Offline Manitobant - Posted February 24 2024 - 10:46 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,900 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
Yeah definitely V. pergandei id say. They’re a fully claustral species.

#13 Offline SegaGenitals - Posted February 25 2024 - 8:59 AM

SegaGenitals

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Thank you all for the input I really just wanted to save her from the tennis ball smashing her or her dying of thirst.  I'll probably release her into my backyard, plenty of room there 

#14 Offline Manitobant - Posted February 25 2024 - 11:22 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,900 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
Why not keep her? These guys are very easy to raise

#15 Offline SegaGenitals - Posted February 27 2024 - 11:04 AM

SegaGenitals

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

I feed my ants in the backyard and they get free reign so I'm keeping her technically :) 

#16 Offline AsdinAnts - Posted February 28 2024 - 7:09 PM

AsdinAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • LocationSanta Clarita, SoCal
if there are other ants in your backyard, she’ll most likely die
  • Artisan_Ants likes this
Currently keeping
-A. occidentalis
-B. patagonicus
-F. neogagates
-M. invidia
-Stennama spec..
I will want to also keep some lasius in the future.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users