• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Keeping world-conquering ants

#help #tip&tricks #argentine ant

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline antscientist - Posted January 4 2024 - 12:52 PM

antscientist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I have decided to take on the gruesome and probably painful but possibly rewarding task of keeping argentine ants. I've located a colony of them near my house and I decided to capture some of their queens, brood, and workers.

I plan to keep them in a tubs and tubes setup with the barriers: Olive Oil and Vaseline

Q.1 Are these barriers good enough?

Q.2 Anything to look out for?

Q.3 Any tips and tricks at keeping them?

Q.4 (joke)Am I gonna die?

Q.5 General information in keeping them

Any answers will be appreciated. Thanks!

• ZATrippit likes this

#2 Offline ZATrippit - Posted January 4 2024 - 1:28 PM

ZATrippit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • LocationWaikato, NZ
https://www.formicul...l/?fromsearch=1this great journal should answer your questions. Keep in mind you must be extra dilligent with cracks, as escaped Argentines are known to invade other colonies en masse.

Edited by ZATrippit, January 4 2024 - 1:28 PM.

• antscientist likes this
FROM NEW ZEALAND YEAHHHHHH!!!!!!!Species I have:3x Iridomyrmex undescribed2x Ochetellus glaberFree Queen Ants- 100% Legit (not a scam):<p>https://blogs.mtdv.m...free-queen-ants

#3 Offline ANTdrew - Posted January 4 2024 - 2:34 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,418 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Vaseline and olive oil are widely considered the least effective of barriers. Try fluon or talc mixed with alcohol instead.
  • TennesseeAnts, antscientist, bmb1bee and 1 other like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#4 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted January 4 2024 - 5:40 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

Vaseline and olive oil are widely considered the least effective of barriers. Try fluon or talc mixed with alcohol instead.

I second this.

Olive oil has really only ever (somewhat) worked on large, clumsy ants for me. I've never used Vaseline, but I'd imagine it wouldn't do much of anything at all.
  • ANTdrew, antscientist and 100lols like this

#5 Offline JesseTheAntKid - Posted January 7 2024 - 7:46 PM

JesseTheAntKid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • LocationHouston TX

To answer question 4, yes. TAKE NO CHANCES WITH THEM.

• rptraut and 100lols like this

Currently keeping: Pheidole obscurithorax (FINALLY I CAN STUDY THEM AND HAVE THEIR COOL MAJORS  B)), Tetramorium bicarinatum, Solenopsis spp. (probably xyloni, the queens are tiny hehe)

Wanting: Atta texana, Camponotus planatus (PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE CAN SOMEONE HOOK ME UP WITH ATTA)

Previously kept: Monomorium minimum, Pheidole dentata

"ATTAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!" -Me

"AAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" -Even more me

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"- Me personified

#6 Offline Manitobant - Posted January 8 2024 - 4:16 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,900 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
I've had success with argentines in a mini hearth before so you don’t necessarily need a lot of space as the guide suggests unless you have a really large colony. However one thing to note is that in mine (and other keepers) experiences, linepithema need a varied diet in order to thrive and you can’t really get away with feeding them the exact same things all the time like you can with most other ants. Try mixing it up and feeding them different sugar sources (honey, hummingbird nectar, sugar water etc) and different feeder insects every once in a while.

Also before anyone gets any ideas, I caught mine in a greenhouse

Edited by Manitobant, January 11 2024 - 12:14 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users