• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Preventing Escapes from the Edges

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Offline T.C. - Posted December 18 2023 - 11:40 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts

Anyone have some practical non-tacky ideas on how to keep ants from scaling up the edges of a setup like this? Working on a setup that will allow the top to be open for better airflow. I already had a top glass sheet to go on top but I'm just not a fan. 

med_gallery_1073_688_32972.jpg

Edited by T.C., December 18 2023 - 11:46 PM.

“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#2 Offline ZATrippit - Posted December 19 2023 - 12:20 AM

ZATrippit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • LocationWaikato, NZ
Many different solvents can be used to line the top of tanks, such as alcohol + baby powder, olive oil, and vaseline. The lining is slippery and prevents ants from climbing up it.
FROM NEW ZEALAND YEAHHHHHH!!!!!!!Species I have:3x Iridomyrmex undescribed2x Ochetellus glaberFree Queen Ants- 100% Legit (not a scam):<p>https://blogs.mtdv.m...free-queen-ants

#3 Offline T.C. - Posted December 19 2023 - 12:42 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts

Many different solvents can be used to line the top of tanks, such as alcohol + baby powder, olive oil, and vaseline. The lining is slippery and prevents ants from climbing up it.

I'm aware. But the edges are rigid and have silicone. None of these would be effective.

• 100lols and ZATrippit like this

#4 Offline ReignofRage - Posted December 19 2023 - 1:25 AM

ReignofRage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 671 posts
  • LocationCalif.

Using a fresh razor blade to remove excess silicone for the top inch to two inches allows barriers to be applied with effectiveness. Another option is to use packing tape or another clear tape and apply a single piece in each corner to cover the silicone, but that may fall under "tacky." Instead of a solid piece of glass as a lid, a lid that has the majority of the center cut out, acting more as a lip rather than a lid, could look better if you're willing to cut the glass.

• T.C. and 100lols like this

#5 Offline ANTdrew - Posted December 19 2023 - 2:32 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,418 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Go to Hobby Lobby and buy a large poster frame that comes with flexible plastic instead of glass. This material is easy to cut with scissors. Trim it to fit your tank rim, and cut out a center hole. Glue this to the rim with silicone.
Another option would be making kind of a moat around a center island in the tank on which the ants live.
  • 100lols likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#6 Offline T.C. - Posted December 19 2023 - 10:58 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts

Another option would be making kind of a moat around a center island in the tank on which the ants live.

Not sure what you mean... essentially an island?

#7 Offline ANTdrew - Posted December 20 2023 - 3:16 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,418 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Yes. Fill the tank partially with water, but build a raised island in the middle of it. You could even get small water creatures like snails or cherry shrimp to live in the water. You could make something truly beautiful and interesting this way. Watch some SerpaDesign videos on YouTube for inspiration!
  • T.C., rptraut and 100lols like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#8 Offline Rrar - Posted December 20 2023 - 3:52 PM

Rrar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Could you use fluon on silicon? I'm not sure. I know some European ant shops that sell fluon that works on silicone

canada = boring!!!!!

I want attaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!

also: Camponotus ca02 ( probably not possible though)

#9 Offline T.C. - Posted December 20 2023 - 8:47 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts

Yes. Fill the tank partially with water, but build a raised island in the middle of it. You could even get small water creatures like snails or cherry shrimp to live in the water. You could make something truly beautiful and interesting this way. Watch some SerpaDesign videos on YouTube for inspiration!

I've actually considered doing something like that for along time as I used to build planted aquariums and such a about 5 years ago. I don't know i'd attempt that right now, but it continues to sit in the back of my mind.  After the new year I intend to have a little more time in this hobby again.

Edit:  Actually, i think back in 2018 I had sampled what species would work best in such a setup. Camponotus sp. had the lowest number of deaths from drowning when i did it and Formica sp. straight up suicided.  I think that might have to deal with their sensitive and frantic nature though.

Could you use fluon on silicon? I'm not sure. I know some European ant shops that sell fluon that works on silicone

I guess there is only one way to find out.

Edited by T.C., December 20 2023 - 8:52 PM.

#10 Offline dspdrew - Posted December 20 2023 - 10:21 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Like ReignofRage said, just put a ledge around the top. That's what I do if I want an open top. I make them about an inch wide and coat them with Fluon.

gallery_2_295_2283.jpg

gallery_2_295_1615781.jpg

gallery_2_295_497102.jpg

It's the best looking way to have a Fluon barrier. You don't have Fluon smeared all over and dripping down the sides of the tank. If you have a standard aquarium rim, you can just set them in like mine which makes it really easy to swap them out quickly when the Fluon starts to fail. Funny thing is I have actually never had to swap either of these out for as long as I've had them. One of the circular ones has a colony of M. mexicanus in it with about 800 workers and they have not breached it yet in two years.

• T.C., ANTdrew, rptraut and 1 other like this

#11 Offline T.C. - Posted December 21 2023 - 10:07 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts

Like ReignofRage said, just put a ledge around the top. That's what I do if I want an open top. I make them about an inch wide and coat them with Fluon.

It's the best looking way to have a Fluon barrier. You don't have Fluon smeared all over and dripping down the sides of the tank. If you have a standard aquarium rim, you can just set them in like mine which makes it really easy to swap them out quickly when the Fluon starts to fail. Funny thing is I have actually never had to swap either of these out for as long as I've had them. One of the circular ones has a colony of M. mexicanus in it with about 800 workers and they have not breached it yet in two years.

I'll give it a go. I wish I had more tools at my disposal for a more flush cut.

#12 Offline ANTdrew - Posted December 22 2023 - 3:46 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,418 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
You can get pretty straight lines using a blade attachment on a wood burning tool. That’s the cheapest option, other than scissors.
  • 100lols likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users