• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Best formicarium for pogonomyrmex ants?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline evanmancini2011 - Posted November 4 2023 - 8:02 PM

evanmancini2011

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationParker Colorado

Hey I was wondering if anyone had any good formicarium ideas for my 20+ pogonomyrmex ant colony?

Thank you for your time!

#2 Offline Zeiss - Posted November 4 2023 - 8:17 PM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley

In my experience, I've always preferred something with top down viewing of the colony because they like to cover vertical glass which makes it hard to see them.

• bmb1bee likes this

#3 Offline UtahAnts - Posted November 4 2023 - 8:39 PM

UtahAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 599 posts
  • LocationUtah Valley

A simple top down view works great, see the first few images. Alternatively, if you are willing to make a nest yourself, try a dual view setup. You get characteristics of top and side viewing, plus unique lighting abilities. 

IMG 0801

IMG 0787

Dual views

IMG 2725

Or

ezgif.com Gif maker (1)

Closeup with overhead lighting

IMG 0604

• bmb1bee, ChenZ and 100lols like this

Leave the Road, take the Trails - Pythagoras

Utah Ant Keeping --- Here

DIY Formicariums and Outworlds --- Here

Honeypot Ant Journal --- Here

Photo Album --- Here

Videos --- Here

#4 Offline ChenZ - Posted November 4 2023 - 9:26 PM

ChenZ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

A simple top down view works great, see the first few images. Alternatively, if you are willing to make a nest yourself, try a dual view setup. You get characteristics of top and side viewing, plus unique lighting abilities. 

Dual views

Or

Closeup with overhead lighting

That gif of yours is what makes my want to keep P. rugosus!

I have a P. subnitidus colony growing like crazy in a tube and tub set up, I feel so timid about getting stung by them (quite allergic to insect stings!) so still haven't put them into a better looking set up.

For those who's keeping them in a more decent formicarium (other than test tubes), is it easy to handle them safely when cleaning and changing the nest?

• 100lols likes this

#5 Offline 100lols - Posted November 5 2023 - 12:48 AM

100lols

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA
[mention]UtahAnts [/mention]loving those man!

OP, your other option is one of Andrew’s “dirt box” formicarium or a formicarium designed similarly.

Although visibility isn’t going to be as good, seeing my ants tunnel is awesome! They’re always busy digging, moving things around, etc. it’s pretty exciting compared to my colonies I keep in a regular plaster formicarium.
  • ANTdrew likes this

#6 Offline Manitobant - Posted November 6 2023 - 12:41 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,900 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
Pogonomyrmex are horrible climbers, so a horizontal formicarium is recommended. Personally, i would go for a THA fallen fortress or labyrinth.
  • 100lols likes this

#7 Offline Full_Frontal_Yeti - Posted November 6 2023 - 1:26 PM

Full_Frontal_Yeti

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Top down for them no doubt.

My Pogonomyrmex Occidentalis started in a side view mini hearth, but quickly grew into a fallen fortress.

Which i later expanded on with my own makes, still top down views, poured in perfect cast.

I find the Pogonomyrmex Occidentalis i keep acclimate to whatever the light conditions are pretty quickly. Which means if you put them in enough dark for long enough they will become more light averse and get the freak outs when rapidly exposed to light. But once they were living under the light in top downs fully, they no longer care when the 14 hour daytime lamp kicks on in the morning.

They will build up dirt on the glass regardless of top or side view. It's just easier to build up on a side view, while a top glass needs more condensation to hold the dirt/debris in place. I make sure not to give them much in the way of dirt/loose sand to work with, and always get some heat cable on the glass to help keep it from getting condensation.
Which is easier to do with a top down glass view than a side one.

Edited by Full_Frontal_Yeti, November 6 2023 - 1:28 PM.

• 100lols likes this

#8 Offline evanmancini2011 - Posted November 7 2023 - 5:44 AM

evanmancini2011

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationParker Colorado

Ok thank you for all of your responses! I have one quick question of what the fallen fortress is made out of?

Thank you for your time! 

#9 Offline Full_Frontal_Yeti - Posted November 7 2023 - 12:01 PM

Full_Frontal_Yeti

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Ok thank you for all of your responses! I have one quick question of what the fallen fortress is made out of?

Thank you for your time! 

THA calls it "type III" and as best as i can tell there is no given ingredients of what that means exactly. So i can't say what the material is, like saying perfect cast or ytong, its some kind of poured plaster/concreat like material. THA have been working on it up to type III now and have completly phased out type II for whatever shortcomming about it they didn't like.
https://tarheelants....-iii-formicaria

https://tarheelants....ess-formicarium

It's a nice connected setup where the nest is resting on a platform with the outworld as a single unit, but can be detached.
Also includes a port in both nest and outworld to expand off of which i haved used both of now.

• 100lols likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users