• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Wellington, New Zealand

Best Answer Manitobant , September 23 2023 - 10:25 AM

Austroponera sp, either A. castanea or A. castaneicolor. Both these species are endemic to NZ and look pretty much identical, with the main difference being that castanea has an ergatoid (permanently wingless) queen while castaneicolor has a standard dealate queen. Both these species used to be in the genus pachycondyla, which for many years was a wastebasket taxon solely used for classifying species that didn’t fit anywhere else. Luckily this has been corrected in recent years

Also if i were you I would put some soil or coco fiber at the bottom of the tank, as most ponerines require high humidity to thrive. Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline caswal - Posted September 23 2023 - 1:37 AM

caswal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationWellington, New Zealand

1. Location (on a map) of collection: Lower Hutt, Wellington, New Zealand. 
2. Date of collection: September 2023
3. Habitat of collection: Back garden, in wood debris
4. Length (from head to gaster): 8mm
5. Color, hue, pattern and texture: Smooth Brown
6. Distinguishing characteristics: Can't climb
7. Distinguishing behavior: Shy/easy startled
8. Nest description: In a rotten Log

9. Nuptial flight time and date: N/A

I was clearing up a lot of wood debris, old saw dust, bark etc from where I was making firewood. Came across these guys in a rotten log. As I flipped the log over, there was a bit of brood that they hurried back into the log. So I assume that is where the queen is. Log is small enough it fits into a 16L Aquarium.

I'm pretty sure it is Pachycondyla Castanae, I havn't measured a worker, but to my eye they look more like 8mm long compared to 6mm as documented.

20230923_205647.jpg 20230923_205649.jpg 20230923_212833.jpg

Video: https://photos.app.g...R1bFNRffJXwYpF9

#2 Offline dspdrew - Posted September 23 2023 - 4:24 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Wow, long time no see.

• caswal likes this

#3 Offline Manitobant - Posted September 23 2023 - 10:25 AM   Best Answer

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,900 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
Austroponera sp, either A. castanea or A. castaneicolor. Both these species are endemic to NZ and look pretty much identical, with the main difference being that castanea has an ergatoid (permanently wingless) queen while castaneicolor has a standard dealate queen. Both these species used to be in the genus pachycondyla, which for many years was a wastebasket taxon solely used for classifying species that didn’t fit anywhere else. Luckily this has been corrected in recent years

Also if i were you I would put some soil or coco fiber at the bottom of the tank, as most ponerines require high humidity to thrive.

Edited by Manitobant, September 23 2023 - 10:26 AM.

• ANTdrew likes this

#4 Offline caswal - Posted September 23 2023 - 5:02 PM

caswal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Also if i were you I would put some soil or coco fiber at the bottom of the tank, as most ponerines require high humidity to thrive.

Thanks Manitobant, I would like to get them to move out from the log. So I made this nest up today. I'll keep it moist and close up to the log, so hopefully as the log dries out they will move into it.

Hopefully they'll move, then make something nicer.

20230924_135627.jpg 20230924_135640.jpg 20230924_135725.jpg

Edited by caswal, September 24 2023 - 12:05 AM.

#5 Offline Manitobant - Posted September 23 2023 - 7:44 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,900 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
The photo links are broken. Mind posting them directly into the site?

#6 Offline caswal - Posted September 24 2023 - 12:06 AM

caswal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Huh, the reply editor gave no feedback that is was doing it as a link rather than the image from the clipboard. Never seen a forum do it like that. I've editted the post.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users