• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Exploring the Captive Life of Temnothorax Longispinosus

temnothorax longispinosus temnothorax acorn ant

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AntsAbyss - Posted September 19 2023 - 1:43 PM

AntsAbyss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationQuakertown PA 18951

Hey there, fellow ant enthusiasts!  Are you ready to embark on an extraordinary journey through the captivating life of the Temnothorax Longispinosus? Join us as we dive into the miniature world of these incredible ants and explore their remarkable journey through life.

About Our Vlog: "Exploring the Captive Life of Temnothorax Longispinosus" is your one-stop destination for all things Temnothorax Longispinosus. Whether you're a budding entomologist, a curious explorer, or simply fascinated by the intricacies of the natural world, our vlog promises to deliver a front-row seat to the mesmerizing life of these tiny but mighty creatures.

As we embark on this journey, we invite you to become a part of our vibrant community. Share your thoughts, questions, and insights as we explore the incredible world of Temnothorax Longispinosus together. Your curiosity and passion are what make this adventure truly special.

Edited by AntsAbyss, September 21 2023 - 7:05 PM.

• Karma, Ernteameise and 100lols like this

#2 Offline AntsAbyss - Posted September 19 2023 - 1:44 PM

AntsAbyss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Chapter 1 "The Life of a Queen"

Edited by AntsAbyss, September 26 2023 - 10:16 AM.

• Karma, antsriondel, rptraut and 1 other like this

#3 Offline AntsAbyss - Posted September 21 2023 - 6:02 PM

AntsAbyss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
This colony is the one featured in all of these videos, housing a total of three queens. Allow me to introduce you to the group we refer to as "the warriors of the abyss.

#4 Offline AntsAbyss - Posted September 21 2023 - 6:05 PM

AntsAbyss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

This is the warriors of the abyss IMG_20230921_215500.jpg

found a colony near my house in an acorn on July 22, 2023. It had three queens, over 30 workers, and lots of eggs. I've been making special nests for them for about three years, and I finally found one that they really like. The nest is about 2x2 inches inside and has an overall size of 3x3 inches.

I have many other Temnothorax species, and in the future, I'd like to share all of them with you. I hope you enjoy my work.

Edited by AntsAbyss, September 22 2023 - 7:16 PM.

• Karma, antsriondel, Ernteameise and 1 other like this

#5 Offline AntsAbyss - Posted September 26 2023 - 10:14 AM

AntsAbyss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Chapter 2 "We Are The Colony"

Edited by AntsAbyss, September 26 2023 - 7:07 PM.

• Karma, antsriondel and 100lols like this

#6 Offline antsriondel - Posted September 26 2023 - 11:56 AM

antsriondel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 915 posts
  • LocationRiondel British Columbia Canada.

Nice videos! I felt like I was watching a documentary! 

#7 Offline AntsAbyss - Posted September 26 2023 - 12:18 PM

AntsAbyss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Thank you lol that's what i'm aiming for still getting the hang of taping them since there so small. 

#8 Offline ANTdrew - Posted September 26 2023 - 4:18 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,411 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Those ultra eggs are larvae, not eggs.
  • AntsAbyss and 100lols like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#9 Offline AntsAbyss - Posted September 26 2023 - 5:49 PM

AntsAbyss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

I am currently in the process of differentiating between queen larvae, worker larvae, and males within my colony. After closely observing my colony, which I have maintained for approximately two years, I have noted a curious development. It appears that mating may have occurred within the nest, resulting in the emergence of approximately five queens.

#10 Offline AntsAbyss - Posted September 26 2023 - 5:59 PM

AntsAbyss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

also meant to say larvae instead of egg lol

Edited by AntsAbyss, September 26 2023 - 6:05 PM.

#11 Offline 100lols - Posted September 26 2023 - 8:54 PM

100lols

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

[font='Söhne']I am currently in the process of differentiating between queen larvae, worker larvae, and males within my colony. After closely observing my colony, which I have maintained for approximately two years, I have noted a curious development. It appears that mating may have occurred within the nest, resulting in the emergence of approximately five queens.[/font]

They could also just be infertile queens who’s wings were ripped off. It would probably be hard to tell. Keep the videos coming! :)
  • AntsAbyss likes this

#12 Offline AntsAbyss - Posted September 26 2023 - 9:18 PM

AntsAbyss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

[font='Söhne']I am currently in the process of differentiating between queen larvae, worker larvae, and males within my colony. After closely observing my colony, which I have maintained for approximately two years, I have noted a curious development. It appears that mating may have occurred within the nest, resulting in the emergence of approximately five queens.[/font]

They could also just be infertile queens who’s wings were ripped off. It would probably be hard to tell. Keep the videos coming! :)

Yeah i thought that to but i noticed that they all do seem to be producing eggs because i had took one of the queens out with about 8 workers and put them into another setup and they seem to be making more workers and she keeps laying as well so i really do think they breed inside of the nest. and thanks :)

Edited by AntsAbyss, September 26 2023 - 9:19 PM.

• 100lols likes this

#13 Offline 100lols - Posted September 26 2023 - 9:29 PM

100lols

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Yeah i thought that to but i noticed that they all do seem to be producing eggs because i had took one of the queens out with about 8 workers and put them into another setup and they seem to be making more workers and she keeps laying as well so i really do think they breed inside of the nest. and thanks :)

Ahhh yes, with better context I now understand! That’s amazing..

Also, what makes you like this nest above your other designs? :zoomeyes:

#14 Offline AntsAbyss - Posted September 27 2023 - 4:12 AM

AntsAbyss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
Well I had bought a 3d printer so I could build micro nests I've made many over time this nest I now use for all my work holds the perfect humidity for weeks I've been major testing on it this on seems to keep the nest at 70% for weeks honestly maybe even longer I barely ever have to rehydrate it.
Well I had bought a 3d printer so I could build micro nests I've made many over time this nest I now use for all my work holds the perfect humidity for weeks I've been major testing on it this on seems to keep the nest at 70% for weeks honestly maybe even longer I barely ever have to rehydrate it.
  • 100lols likes this

#15 Offline 100lols - Posted September 27 2023 - 1:13 PM

100lols

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA
That’s awesome. Maybe it’s something you could put on the market for others to purchase? Nests for tiny ants that are good quality can be hard to find. At least for a reasonable price. I really want a 3d printer lol.

#16 Offline AntsAbyss - Posted September 27 2023 - 3:06 PM

AntsAbyss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

lol yeah true i make mine all link-able also i was thinking of selling them on my website soon hopefully.

• 100lols likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: temnothorax longispinosus, temnothorax, acorn ant

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users