• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Formica Fusca group founding stage question

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AperturePrime - Posted September 13 2023 - 10:49 PM

AperturePrime

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

I collected 5 Formica Fusca group queens 6 weeks ago. Three weeks ago I found out that construction has started next door. They have been driving piles, shaking my building. I have isolated the test tubes as best I can but they still have no eggs. When should I expect my ants start laying if at all?

#2 Online ANTdrew - Posted September 14 2023 - 2:06 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,433 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
You could try hibernating them to see if they will lay after that, but six weeks seems too long for them not to have already laid eggs. My Formicas even get workers by six weeks. Are they warm enough?
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline AperturePrime - Posted September 14 2023 - 6:32 PM

AperturePrime

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

They have been kept at ~22-26C. My Tetramorium Immigrans have been perfectly happy being kept in the same conditions. I was more worried about the vibration, the building was shaking pretty violently, it felt like a magnitude 3 or 4 earthquake.

#4 Offline ReignofRage - Posted September 14 2023 - 7:52 PM

ReignofRage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • LocationCalif.

Those temperatures are a bit cool for F. fusca-group species, however the vibration disturbances are not helping whatsoever.

#5 Offline Manitobant - Posted September 15 2023 - 6:10 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,901 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
formica subsericea queens in my area always hibernate before laying eggs. Id recommend sticking em in the fridge if i were you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users