• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Dspdrew's test tube rack/shelves

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 22 2015 - 8:15 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Not exactly sure what you mean. Possibly because you might not really know exactly what this is yet since it's not finished. Believe me, the first thing I do is try to find anything I can that is close enough, and modify it to fit my needs, but there really is nothing out there that would function the way I want it to, and take up the smallest amount of space possible.

#22 Offline William. T - Posted August 22 2015 - 8:51 AM

William. T

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • LocationWestern Maryland

Not exactly sure what you mean. Possibly because you might not really know exactly what this is yet since it's not finished. Believe me, the first thing I do is try to find anything I can that is close enough, and modify it to fit my needs, but there really is nothing out there that would function the way I want it to, and take up the smallest amount of space possible.

Well, what I meant is the possibility of filling up a drawer with egg crate foam, fill it with tubes, and make a next layer and do the sam thing.

Species I keep:

1 Lasius cf. Neoniger 30 workers

1 Camponotus sp. 15 workers

20 Tetramorium SpE 30 workers

1 T. Sessile 200 workers

#23 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 22 2015 - 10:14 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Well, what I meant is the possibility of filling up a drawer with egg crate foam, fill it with tubes, and make a next layer and do the sam thing.

That would essentially be what I have now, just without the drawers. It is a huge pain in the butt having to constantly shuffle these test tube covered foam pieces around.

I should be finished with this thing a little later today, so you'll see then how convenient it makes things for me.

#24 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 22 2015 - 11:10 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA
Making the shelves after my trip to the old lady store to get some black felt

med_gallery_2_478_10911.jpg

Shelf complete with felt covering to keep vibrations down while sliding plastic containers around on it

med_gallery_2_478_324494.jpg
  • LC3 likes this

#25 Offline Wamdar - Posted August 22 2015 - 2:22 PM

Wamdar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

you're gonna need another one!

#26 Offline dermy - Posted August 22 2015 - 4:23 PM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

Shelf complete with felt covering to keep vibrations down while sliding plastic containers around on it

Neat idea, then less disturbances to the queens and Colonies :D

Cause some dermestids infest carpets?

Hmmm maybe.............. :lol:

• LC3 likes this

#27 Offline William. T - Posted August 22 2015 - 5:56 PM

William. T

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • LocationWestern Maryland

Very nice! I like your carpet ;)

I think the inorganic carpets will not be infested. In China, though, the wool carpets, especially some of the shoddy ones rural people use, have some sort of maggot or something that will infest them. I think Dermestid will infest some organic carpets.

Edited by William. T, August 22 2015 - 5:57 PM.

Species I keep:

1 Lasius cf. Neoniger 30 workers

1 Camponotus sp. 15 workers

20 Tetramorium SpE 30 workers

1 T. Sessile 200 workers

#28 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 22 2015 - 6:06 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Very nice! I like your carpet ;)

I think the inorganic carpets will not be infested. In China, though, the wool carpets, especially some of the shoddy ones rural people use, have some sort of maggot or something that will infest them. I think Dermestid will infest some organic carpets.

Hmmm. Well too bad Dermy's hair isn't inorganic.

• dermy and LC3 like this

#29 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 22 2015 - 9:08 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA
All finished. :D

med_gallery_2_478_308777.jpg

med_gallery_2_478_175097.jpg

Fifteen test tubes

med_gallery_2_478_410352.jpg

Ten foraging containers

med_gallery_2_478_855180.jpg
  • kellakk, AntsTexas, Subverted and 1 other like this

#30 Offline Pulliamj - Posted August 23 2015 - 3:46 AM

Pulliamj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
That's a nice looking piece of furniture with a very specific purpose. So now you can catch even more queens on your trips. I guess you have those sliding drawer rails installed in each one? I bet it doesn't disturb them too much when opening and closing. Great job!

#31 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 23 2015 - 7:58 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

You guessed right. Thanks. I designed it to fit perfectly inside the supply cabinet where I keep my ants.

#32 Offline NightsWebs - Posted August 23 2015 - 4:02 PM

NightsWebs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • LocationSo Cal

Looks great Drew!

• dspdrew likes this

Current Colonies;

Acromyrmex Versicolor

Dorymyrmex Bicolor