• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Hello from Cali

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Offline klawfran3 - Posted August 14 2015 - 1:08 PM

klawfran3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Not too sure how to start this off other than saying that my name is Nick and I have always thought ants were amazing but never had the opportunity to get a permanently kept queen until a few days ago. I am definitely a beginner but I have kept ants in the past as I tend to travel to Missouri every summer and I catch/keep queens there until I leave (about 6-8 weeks). I basically raised them until the nanitic workers hatched and then had to let them go.

I just purchased a pogonomyrmex californicus queen from a member here on the boards and will be picking her up soon. Super excited but very nervous because I am afraid to mess up. Expect some dumb questions until I get on my feet here.

Glad I could join the boards!

• BugFinder likes this

This message brought to you by the Committee for the Education of Folks who Describe Arthropod Taxa as 'Not Interesting' (CEFDATNI)

#2 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 14 2015 - 1:16 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Welcome. A lot of your questions might already be answered in some of these places. Make sure to check them out.

http://www.formicult...-for-beginners/

http://www.formicult...of-handy-links/

#3 Offline William. T - Posted August 14 2015 - 1:35 PM

William. T

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • LocationWestern Maryland

Hey there from Maryland. Don't put a plug on any questions because we are happy to answer them. Anting is a very addicting hobby, in a good way. From Cali? Well, this from is called Caliculture.  :D

Species I keep:

1 Lasius cf. Neoniger 30 workers

1 Camponotus sp. 15 workers

20 Tetramorium SpE 30 workers

1 T. Sessile 200 workers

#4 Offline LC3 - Posted August 14 2015 - 2:04 PM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

H'llo and Welcome to the forums. :)

#5 Offline klawfran3 - Posted August 14 2015 - 2:11 PM

klawfran3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Thank you Dspdrew for those handy links! I did know most of the basic care for the ants, but I am just a little confused on the care for this specific species (P. Californicus). I just need to know if I need to hibernate them or not during the winter (So Cal is the same temp all year round basically) and if I need to provide them additional heating (The room they will be in stays around 75- 80 as that is also optimal temperature for the plethora of tarantulas, scorpions, and roaches I breed in the same room). Other than that I have access to all other needed things for their proper care.

This message brought to you by the Committee for the Education of Folks who Describe Arthropod Taxa as 'Not Interesting' (CEFDATNI)

#6 Offline Zeiss - Posted August 14 2015 - 2:27 PM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley

Welcome!

#7 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted August 14 2015 - 3:04 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Welcome! :D

#8 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 14 2015 - 4:03 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Thank you Dspdrew for those handy links! I did know most of the basic care for the ants, but I am just a little confused on the care for this specific species (P. Californicus). I just need to know if I need to hibernate them or not during the winter (So Cal is the same temp all year round basically) and if I need to provide them additional heating (The room they will be in stays around 75- 80 as that is also optimal temperature for the plethora of tarantulas, scorpions, and roaches I breed in the same room). Other than that I have access to all other needed things for their proper care.

Ah, yes. Once we get more care sheets posted, all that information will be really easy to get.

#9 Offline klawfran3 - Posted August 14 2015 - 6:23 PM

klawfran3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Alright that's cool. If anyone wants to chime in for those two little questions it will be really appreciated. Thanks everyone! It'll help with a caresheet most likely as I can not find a definite answer to those two questions.

Edited by klawfran3, August 14 2015 - 6:24 PM.

#10 Offline Subverted - Posted August 14 2015 - 8:26 PM

Subverted

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Welcome!

For your questions, I don't think that P. californicus need to be hibernated and 75-80F is a fine temperature for them. You could probably give them a bit of extra heat if you wanted to.

• klawfran3 likes this

My ants | My free feeder design | PM or email me if you need and 3d printing, cnc machining, or manufacturing done: http://www.lrmachining.com

Make your own mold/fungus/bacteria resistant test tube water! Don't get ripped off! Read my simple guide: http://www.formicult...-simple-how-to/

"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." - Isaac Asimov

#11 Offline klawfran3 - Posted August 14 2015 - 9:18 PM

klawfran3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Thanks Subverted!

#12 Offline BugFinder - Posted August 14 2015 - 9:50 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

Welcome from San Jose, CA.

“If an ant carries an object a hundred times its weight, you can carry burdens many times your size.”  ― Matshona Dhliwayo

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

Pogonomyrmex Californicus

My Ant Goals!

#13 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted August 14 2015 - 11:26 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Ah, yes. Once we get more care sheets posted, all that information will be really easy to get.

I could do one on californicus if you want. I just want to experiment around with my colonies' preferences a bit.

Edited by Gregory2455, August 14 2015 - 11:26 PM.

#14 Offline William. T - Posted August 15 2015 - 4:45 AM

William. T

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Hey, you keep T's? Nice red rump you got there. I 

Species I keep:

1 T. Sessile 200 workers

#15 Offline klawfran3 - Posted August 15 2015 - 5:24 AM

klawfran3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Ahah actually the one on my prof. pic is a chromatopelma cyaneopubescens. I don't have a red rump actually. I like to focus on OW ones more; they're way more spunk and fun!

#16 Offline William. T - Posted August 15 2015 - 6:05 AM

William. T

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Ahah actually the one on my prof. pic is a chromatopelma cyaneopubescens. I don't have a red rump actually. I like to focus on OW ones more; they're way more spunk and fun!

Arhhh.....I am really messing up these days. Thought the abdomen would be a bit bluer for a red rump. Old World T's bite really hard...... I prefer to get hairs on my arm once a while than get bitten by my baboon. Avics have a personality of their own, no?

Species I keep:

1 T. Sessile 200 workers

#17 Offline Jonathan21700 - Posted August 15 2015 - 12:27 PM

Jonathan21700

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Welcome to the forum! :)

#18 Offline klawfran3 - Posted August 15 2015 - 3:15 PM

klawfran3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Arhhh.....I am really messing up these days. Thought the abdomen would be a bit bluer for a red rump. Old World T's bite really hard...... I prefer to get hairs on my arm once a while than get bitten by my baboon. Avics have a personality of their own, no?

They really do haha. I actually have a female avic avic sitting on a sac right now.

And as long as you're careful you won't get bit by an OW. Closest I ever got though was with a MM C. Marshalli. That wouldn't have been fun.

#19 Offline Trailandstreet - Posted August 16 2015 - 11:59 PM

Trailandstreet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Welcome, from the other side of the big lake ;)

:hi: Franz

if you find any mistakes, it's my autocorrection. it doesn't speak english.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users