• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Dealing with antipathy and disgust for your hobby

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Ernteameise - Posted April 1 2023 - 2:48 PM

Ernteameise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • LocationGermany

I only recently started again with ant keeping.

I remember back in school, when I did all my ant science experiments, I was the bane of my biology teachers and my class mates called me "ant" and my room with the large formicarium "the ant cave". I have always been quite nerdy, and I have been used to being sidelined and laughed at and ignored or insulted since I can remember. I had a few friends at school, but it was mainly just a race to avoid many social pitfalls.

Today, I am working at a large biological laboratory company and the whole top floor is basically 50% nerds.

The non-nerds are teasing us (in a non-malicious way) and sometimes we are laughed at.

So when I told people at work that I had decided to start again with ant keeping, I got a whole range of reactions, ranging from interest and excitement to amusement, to bad jokes and only a few cases in disgust. In most cases, people just laugh at my crazyness.

I also know that my mum will not be thrilled about me doing "even more of my crazy stuff".

But why am I writing this?

I am actually quite shocked by a reaction I got from one colleague. We have some common interests, love nature and he recently started on breeding some Triops and other ancient crustaceans and I was very happy to share experience and lots of water plants from my cherry shrimp tank.

When I told him about my ant project and shared some pictures, I thought he would be happy that I also got into a new project and was so enthusiastic about these creepy crawlies. After all, we nearly had a burial ceremony for his pet tarantula!

I was utterly shocked and totally confused when his reaction was total disgust and he blatantly told me "leave me alone with these pests!"

This was so unexpected, I just stood there lost of words and dumbfounded.

How do you guys deal with aversion and antipathy and disgust for your hobby in your social environment?

Do you hide your hobby?

Do you avoid these people? Or ignore them?

Or do you try to educate them?

For example, at work, my direct colleagues sitting next to me first laughed, and said they would be much too afraid to be bitten, so I took up the challenge and made some pictures and a video of a major of my Messor barbarus on my fingers- the major did not bite at all, and even started preening. So I showed that these girls are harmless and gentle and not dangerous at all. I have even contacted the social media guys of my company who introduce employees and their pets on social media and suggested that I will share some of my pictures of my Messors, just to share some education and love.

I just get very ethusiastic about things I enjoy!

I would love to hear some experiences and opinions on this.

Here is one of these pictures I shared with my colleagues, btw:

338951723-933510924735965-29352336015554

• AntsCali098 and Rrar like this

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 1 2023 - 3:25 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,415 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Honestly, it’s all the same for me. People think I’m crazy for keeping ants, but I’m 40 years old now and in truth, I don’t give an F what anybody else thinks about me anymore. I share the hobby with a few people who appreciate it, and with the rest I just don’t mention it. I’m glad you found this corner where everyone will appreciate what you learn and experience with ants.
  • Manitobant, Devi, AntBoi3030 and 4 others like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline Devi - Posted April 1 2023 - 8:49 PM

Devi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  • LocationDenver, Colorado

Same here.  I bet many people here have had similar experiences.  Ant keeping seems to be a misunderstood hobby and interest by many.  People respond negatively to many things foreign and different, ant keeping included.  I mainly share my ant keeping endeavors with fellow ant keepers online.  That's the best way to improve and learn more, in my opinion.  Other than that, sometimes I'll talk with close friends about ants, but other than that I rarely share the hobby.  Best place to share is here!

• Ernteameise likes this

#4 Offline Demoant - Posted April 1 2023 - 9:25 PM

Demoant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Interestingly enough my classmates and teachers don't find my ants and my ant keeping hobby gross or repulsive. 
I was honoured to bring a couple of my colonies to my school's open day and show them to children and parents and the helpers all thought that the ant display was brilliant.

However,  if i do have to deal with people who dislike ants or ant keeping, i would tell them the misconceptions of ants and try to convince them to stop disliking ants

If that doesnt work then i just stop talking to them. That's better than to keep the argument going

• ConcordAntman, ANTdrew and Ernteameise like this

#5 Offline rptraut - Posted April 1 2023 - 9:30 PM

rptraut

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

I am also old enough to be past the point of caring what other people think of the things I say or do.  I've always been a little eccentric, so my ant keeping came as no surprise to anyone.  I have kept all manor of "crazy" things in my life, snakes, spiders, locusts, mantids, lizards, etc and I have many times tried to keep ants, but only recently have I had enough success with ants to actually share them with other people.  I also had a negative reaction from an old friend of mine the first time he saw my colonies in my workshop, but after he sat there and watched me feed them, water them, and saw a queen and brood with workers tending them he was amazed at what was involved and how interesting they are.  His wife on the other hand, had a bad ant experience as a child and was reluctant to even come in the house.  Some people simply can't get past a fear of some things like ants, spiders, snakes, lizards, etc....  they'll never be convinced otherwise.  When I'm unsure of a person's feelings I sometimes ask a simple question like "So, what do you think about ants?"  I take my lead as to how much further I go with the discussion from their answer.  I have to admit that if It wasn't for this forum I would feel very isolated and alone in this hobby.  As time goes by I'm sure ant keeping will find wider acceptance.  Only last week I noticed that our local pet store now stocks test tube colonies and small formicaria.  

I think we as ant keepers should be very proud of the inroads we have made into the realm of ant keeping.  Science provides some answers to questions about ant keeping, but many of the day to day trials and questions about keeping ants are being answered by people like you and me right here in this forum, from our own personal experiences as we raise our ants.  I'm relatively new to this hobby and I've benefited greatly from the vast knowledge and experience of the members of this forum.  Don't be discouraged by the prejudices and fears of others.   I only share details of my hobby with people that I feel are worthy.   This forum is where I go for advice, direction, and support in my ant keeping endeavors.  

RPT

• ConcordAntman and Ernteameise like this
My father always said I had ants in my pants.

#6 Offline Ernteameise - Posted April 2 2023 - 2:28 AM

Ernteameise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • LocationGermany

Thank you for your valuable experiences and insights.

Of course you are right- I also (most of the time) feel that I am too old for this kind of thing and that I should just get rid of that kind of negativity in my life.

But still, on occassion, it still hurts.

I do not mind my mum anymore (she has basically called me "not normal" from the day I could walk) but when this happens with a person you fully expected would understand what you are doing, I just feel caught with my pants down.

#7 Offline T.C. - Posted April 2 2023 - 4:24 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,060 posts
I've been given $hit for it more times than i count. But quite literally just tell them to F off and be confident in what you do and enjoy.
  • Ernteameise likes this
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#8 Offline PurdueEntomology - Posted April 2 2023 - 6:00 AM

PurdueEntomology

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  • LocationUrbanna, Virginia

How do you guys deal with aversion and antipathy and disgust for your hobby in your social environment?

Do you hide your hobby?

As an entomologist I believe just sharing interesting "facts" about ants can readily assist others in getting over any phobias or discomfort.  The fact that your colleague labeled ants as "pests" indicates a general dismissive attitude.  I believe many gold seekers (anglo-American) in the 1850's labeled indigenous peoples as "lice and vermin".  Upshot, dismissive and derogatory labels are common for people to use against those they do not understand and want to categorize as unimportant.  Enough of that though.  So, try to educate with instructive examples.  Read up from interesting scientific journal papers on ant facts that are intriguing. 

Hell Ants :   https://antwiki.org/...020.104381).pdf

Evolution of Agriculture in Ants:

https://www.research...culture_in_Ants

Are just a couple.  If you are keeping a specific species learn as much as you can from scientific literature just by selective google searches and read then share. 

Misinformation is always a killer (Think DUNE).

Finally, enjoy your time with ants, ask yourself why they intrigue you, and share that.  Those who are not interested or think you are odd, well I cannot understand why people want stand in a field and hit a white ball (golfing),  or go to a stadium and watch cars drive in ovals (NASCAR) or whatch men dribble a ball up and down (basketball) or listen to country music!!! 

• ConcordAntman, ANTdrew, Ants_Dakota and 1 other like this

#9 Offline Ernteameise - Posted April 2 2023 - 6:25 AM

Ernteameise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • LocationGermany

Do you hide your hobby?

As an entomologist I believe just sharing interesting "facts" about ants can readily assist others in getting over any phobias or discomfort.  The fact that your colleague labeled ants as "pests" indicates a general dismissive attitude.  I believe many gold seekers (anglo-American) in the 1850's labeled indigenous peoples as "lice and vermin".  Upshot, dismissive and derogatory labels are common for people to use against those they do not understand and want to categorize as unimportant.  Enough of that though.  So, try to educate with instructive examples.  Read up from interesting scientific journal papers on ant facts that are intriguing. 

Hell Ants :   https://antwiki.org/...020.104381).pdf

Evolution of Agriculture in Ants:

https://www.research...culture_in_Ants

Are just a couple.  If you are keeping a specific species learn as much as you can from scientific literature just by selective google searches and read then share. 

Misinformation is always a killer (Think DUNE).

Finally, enjoy your time with ants, ask yourself why they intrigue you, and share that.  Those who are not interested or think you are odd, well I cannot understand why people want stand in a field and hit a white ball (golfing),  or go to a stadium and watch cars drive in ovals (NASCAR) or whatch men dribble a ball up and down (basketball) or listen to country music!!! 

Thank you!

You actually made me laugh.

Great advice.

• futurebird and AntsCali098 like this

#10 Offline Manitobant - Posted April 2 2023 - 6:48 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,900 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
I don’t care what others think about me or my hobbies.
  • ConcordAntman, ANTdrew, Rrar and 1 other like this

#11 Offline futurebird - Posted April 2 2023 - 3:52 PM

futurebird

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

I ran into an extreme version of this on vacation recently. We were having dinner on the train and the girl across from me noticed that there is an ant on my ring. "ugh I don't like bugs"
"well ants eat many bugs. They're great for your garden. I have several pet colonies in our apartment."
She started squirming! I think I ruined her dinner. But I didn't have much sympathy. Why would you look at something on someone's jewelry and then insult that thing?

---

I'm normally more sensitive, for example: not brining up ants at meals unless I know the people well enough to know that won't throw them. Most people start to like ants more if you can show them some videos of the ants that are close up so they can see their eyes and tell what they are doing. Someone reposted one of my videos on reddit recently of a Formica ant emerging from her cocoon with the help of her sister and reading the comments warmed my heart ... a few were like "I don't normally like ants but this was neat" -- and "Speaking as someone who has never had a particular interest in ants before, this video was awesome!"

https://www.reddit.c..._capable_adult/

I really think just showing people what's going on and how complex it is... how ants help each other and take care of each other-- it's very relatable. 

It's important to tidy away any half eaten crickets and roaches before filming. I keep my tanks pretty clean, but my videos get FAR MORE views if there aren't any visible dead bugs in frame. People like the idea of ants eating other insects... but watching the process is a bit much for anyone who isn't into bugs. 

I thought people would be more put off by shots of eggs and larvae... but those do well too. 

Wide shots that show lots of ants at once don't do as well as when I follow one particular ant keeping only her in the frame. 

Edited by futurebird, April 2 2023 - 3:53 PM.

Starting this July I'm posting videos of my ants every week on youTube.

I like to make relaxing videos that capture the joy of watching ants.

If that sounds like your kind of thing... follow me >here<

#12 Offline Ernteameise - Posted April 2 2023 - 11:05 PM

Ernteameise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • LocationGermany

I ran into an extreme version of this on vacation recently. We were having dinner on the train and the girl across from me noticed that there is an ant on my ring. "ugh I don't like bugs"
"well ants eat many bugs. They're great for your garden. I have several pet colonies in our apartment."
She started squirming! I think I ruined her dinner. But I didn't have much sympathy. Why would you look at something on someone's jewelry and then insult that thing?

---

I'm normally more sensitive, for example: not brining up ants at meals unless I know the people well enough to know that won't throw them. Most people start to like ants more if you can show them some videos of the ants that are close up so they can see their eyes and tell what they are doing. Someone reposted one of my videos on reddit recently of a Formica ant emerging from her cocoon with the help of her sister and reading the comments warmed my heart ... a few were like "I don't normally like ants but this was neat" -- and "Speaking as someone who has never had a particular interest in ants before, this video was awesome!"

https://www.reddit.c..._capable_adult/

I really think just showing people what's going on and how complex it is... how ants help each other and take care of each other-- it's very relatable. 

It's important to tidy away any half eaten crickets and roaches before filming. I keep my tanks pretty clean, but my videos get FAR MORE views if there aren't any visible dead bugs in frame. People like the idea of ants eating other insects... but watching the process is a bit much for anyone who isn't into bugs. 

I thought people would be more put off by shots of eggs and larvae... but those do well too. 

Wide shots that show lots of ants at once don't do as well as when I follow one particular ant keeping only her in the frame. 

Great suggestions!

I will keep that in mind for my future video/ picture taking.

You also made me laugh- I just a couple of days ago ordered an amber pendant from a amber dealer in Lithuania with a very beautiful fossilized ant in it and I totally and utterly intend to wear it to work. Stupid comments be damned.

Ah yes, Trains. I remember once hand-raising a kitten and had to take it on the train and had to feed it- and some person turned around and asked me "What is this? A bat?"

• futurebird likes this

#13 Offline Ernteameise - Posted April 3 2023 - 10:00 AM

Ernteameise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • LocationGermany

So today I sent some of my ant pictures and a few paragraphs about the species, keeping and why they are fascinating to the social media people of my company (company of about 600 employees). They run little features on the pets of employees or differend interesting hobbies of employees.

Let's see if they will use it, and if they do, how this will be received.

Edited by Ernteameise, April 3 2023 - 10:01 AM.

• ANTdrew and futurebird like this

#14 Offline Rrar - Posted April 3 2023 - 4:12 PM

Rrar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

I don't care a damn if people laugh or insult my hobby. I just tell them to shut up

• Ernteameise likes this

canada = boring!!!!!

I want attaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!

also: Camponotus ca02 ( probably not possible though)

#15 Offline Locness - Posted April 4 2023 - 1:50 PM

Locness

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I actually haven't had a lot of negative responses and I think it might be due to my present relationship with those individuals, but also with how I relate it back to things they are interested in. They are typically surprised at first, but I always go from an angle that they are comfortable with, adjusting accordingly. For example, I have a coworker who keeps betta fish, so I asked her about that hobby of hers first before telling her about ants. We talked about animal husbandry and her own experiences with animal keeping. She became fascinated and is now interested in being a keeper. I have another coworker who is a an avid saltwater fisherman, so we talked about that, which included the diversity of sea creatures, before going into ants. He was taken aback at first, but then had tons of questions for me because it started to make sense to him. Now he asks when I'm going hunting for queens. 

• ANTdrew and Ernteameise like this

#16 Offline azzaaazzzz00 - Posted April 4 2023 - 2:28 PM

azzaaazzzz00

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationBogota, NJ

There are really only two people (excluding adults) that know about my hobby or even really know this hobby exists. They both make fun of me whenever it is brought up. I want to ignore it, but they speak loudly (I mean like LOUD), so everyone would hear about this lonley kid who loves to keep "disgusting pests". I'm sure I'll get over it when I'm older, but for now, just know that ants arn't pests...the people making fun of others are.

Edited by azzaaazzzz00, April 4 2023 - 2:30 PM.

• ConcordAntman and Ernteameise like this
Been keeping ants since January of 2021

Always try new things, even if its hard, hard is not impossible. We are smart and it's good to be smart but not too smart for your own good.

#17 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 4 2023 - 3:09 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,415 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

There are really only two people (excluding adults) that know about my hobby or even really know this hobby exists. They both make fun of me whenever it is brought up. I want to ignore it, but they speak loudly (I mean like LOUD), so everyone would hear about this lonley kid who loves to keep "disgusting pests". I'm sure I'll get over it when I'm older, but for now, just know that ants arn't pests...the people making fun of others are.

Screw them! You’ll find less ignorant people as you get older I bet.
  • ConcordAntman and azzaaazzzz00 like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#18 Offline LowQualityAnts - Posted April 4 2023 - 5:52 PM

LowQualityAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, Georgia
I mostly do not talk to people in my school about ants so I do not have many negative experiences with them, however my close friends are usually either disinterested or humor my ant talk.
  • Ernteameise likes this

#19 Offline rptraut - Posted April 4 2023 - 8:30 PM

rptraut

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

I belong to a Horticultural Society that has a "show and tell" table at all of their open meetings.  Last meeting, I took my carnivorous plants and many people were interested to see and learn about them.  I was considering taking some of my ant colonies to the next meeting and mentioned it to some of the other members.  After the initial "You keep what?" questions, many said they would be interested to see them and encouraged me to bring them.  I'm still considering whether I'll take them, considering their transportation and trying to display them so they are visible while not upsetting the colonies unduly and giving a bad impression with a bunch of panicky ants.  I'll probably only take small colonies and take them early so they can settle down before the meeting.  I'm curious to see what the reaction of the general membership will be.  These are plant growers who profess concern for the natural world and pollinators in particular, but I think they might still have a problem with Carpenter ants.

RPT

• ANTdrew and Ernteameise like this
My father always said I had ants in my pants.

#20 Offline Locness - Posted April 6 2023 - 9:00 AM

Locness

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I had a coworker ask me how my ants were doing this morning  B) Then she asked what their housing arrangements looked like and about the care requirements. I think we might have another ally in the hobby. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users