• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Tubing lengths and angles

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Offline spinyeti - Posted August 7 2015 - 8:13 AM

spinyeti

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationConnecticut, USA
I'm preparing to build my nests and outworlds, and have a question about tubing:

How long between nest and outworld is okay, and can I put it more or less vertical?

I am planning on putting the nests in a cabinet below the outworlds on shelves. I currently have 1/2" ID vinyl tubing because I was concerned about the Camponotus having room for travel.

I will be testing with some wild workers in my yard to see how they do with the tubing angle, but I am unsure about nest distance from the outworld for things like ventilation or garbage disposal.

#2 Offline Crystals - Posted August 7 2015 - 8:54 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

Depends on the species.  Some can climb easily, some can't.  I know some who put a pipe cleaner in their vinyl tubing for some species.

The younger or smaller the colony, the shorter the vinyl tubing should be.  It also depends on species.  Some will wander only a few inches down a tube, while tohers will explore for feet.

I prefer to keep my tubing under 6" for my colonies.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#3 Offline spinyeti - Posted August 7 2015 - 9:04 AM

spinyeti

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
Pipe cleaners! Interesting! I was trying to think of a good way to add texture for climbing in case that is needed. Thanks.

For foraging I'm assuming that some distance will likely be fine, since Camponotus pennsylvanicus forage over areas measured in meters at least. I just don't know about the ants-eye perception of their nest being 2-5 feet underground, since there will only be the one tube to connect to the outworld. What I mean is that it seems that it might be quite a trek for little Miss Every-Ant to deposit some sand/dirt/garbage somewhere out of the way of the nest and continued growth.

Edited by spinyeti, August 7 2015 - 9:07 AM.

#4 Offline Crystals - Posted August 7 2015 - 11:27 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

Also depends how large the colony is.  A small colony of 5 workers will never wander 4 feet up a tube.

A large colony of over a hundred should have a dozen or so that will make the trip.

Colonies start near the surface and work their way down over the years as the colony grows.

• Jonathan21700 likes this

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#5 Offline spinyeti - Posted August 7 2015 - 11:30 AM

spinyeti

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
That's what I feared. I will have to rethink my intended setup then. It seems I'm thinking too far down the line.

#6 Offline Foogoo - Posted August 8 2015 - 2:47 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

My Pogonomyrmex appeared to have trouble climbing up ~2" of tubing in their old nest so I dipped a toothpick in aquarium sillicone and "textured" the inside of the tubing. Appears to have worked well enough.

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#7 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 8 2015 - 4:23 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

What I do with vinyl tubing is put a steel tube brush in a drill, and scratch up the inside of the tube with it really well. This obviously might not be something you would want for a setup you have on display, because you can no longer see through the tubing very well.

• William. T and Huch like this

#8 Offline Huch - Posted August 9 2015 - 6:07 PM

Huch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

What I do with vinyl tubing is put a steel tube brush in a drill, and scratch up the inside of the tube with it really well. This obviously might not be something you would want for a setup you have on display, because you can no longer see through the tubing very well.

Or if you have a gun cleaning kit - rod with the copper bristle brush would score it really well.

• BugFinder likes this

#9 Offline BugFinder - Posted August 9 2015 - 9:37 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

I love the cabinet and shelf idea, if you can keep the tube short enough that they will actually travel through it that sounds so awesome!!

“If an ant carries an object a hundred times its weight, you can carry burdens many times your size.”  ― Matshona Dhliwayo

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

Pogonomyrmex Californicus

My Ant Goals!

#10 Offline spinyeti - Posted August 11 2015 - 5:10 AM

spinyeti

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

I love the cabinet and shelf idea, if you can keep the tube short enough that they will actually travel through it that sounds so awesome!!

Once I get something figured out, I'll post pictures. It's a good thing Camponotus are so slow; gives me time to plan a nice setup.

#11 Offline AntsTexas - Posted August 11 2015 - 6:00 AM

AntsTexas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • LocationLubbock, Texas

could angle the tubing until u get where u want it

Ant Queens found:

Solenopsis Invicta,  Solenopsis xyloni,  Brachymyrmex depilis/Sp,  Myrmecocystus Mimicus,  Pogonomyrmex barbatus,

Forelius pruinosus,  Camponotus sayi, Dorymyrmex insanus, crematogaster ashmeadi,

----------------------------------------

Ant Queens i have going right now:

camponotus sayi, solenopsis invicta, Myrmecocystus Mimicus, Forelius pruinosus

Pogonomyrmex barbatus, and some others (no i.d.)

---------------------------------------

YouTube:  AntsTexas

Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/cdockray1

Facebook page:  AntsTexas

#12 Offline spinyeti - Posted August 11 2015 - 6:06 AM

spinyeti

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

could angle the tubing until u get where u want it

That was an option I was considering: just spiral the tubing around a shelf post to keep the grade shallow enough, but that adds considerable distance, which Crystals suggested would be detrimental for new colonies.
  • AntsTexas likes this

#13 Offline AntsTexas - Posted August 11 2015 - 6:42 AM

AntsTexas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • LocationLubbock, Texas

how about something like this:

http://www.acehardwa...oductId=1334404

pACE3-1041447enh-z7.jpg

Ant Queens found:

Solenopsis Invicta,  Solenopsis xyloni,  Brachymyrmex depilis/Sp,  Myrmecocystus Mimicus,  Pogonomyrmex barbatus,

Forelius pruinosus,  Camponotus sayi, Dorymyrmex insanus, crematogaster ashmeadi,

----------------------------------------

Ant Queens i have going right now:

camponotus sayi, solenopsis invicta, Myrmecocystus Mimicus, Forelius pruinosus

Pogonomyrmex barbatus, and some others (no i.d.)

---------------------------------------

YouTube:  AntsTexas

Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/cdockray1

Facebook page:  AntsTexas

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users