• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Hoping to get a colony off the ground soon

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Offline spinyeti - Posted August 4 2015 - 6:19 AM

spinyeti

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationConnecticut, USA
Hello! I'm an engineer in the aviation industry living in Connecticut. I have been thinking about owning ants for about five years now, but lacked the space and was never prepared for nuptial flights.

A couple of weeks ago however, what appears to be a Camponotus pennsylvanicus alate "terrorized" my girlfriend by landing on her in her bedroom. I've caught it and transitioned it to a test tube which is now in a drawer in my office.

I have no real way to tell if she's fertile except to wait and read everything I can. The threads and posts I've found here have been very informative and have given me hope!

At the very least, I'm going to end up being very prepared for next spring, and will finally have ants of my own...
  • Herdo likes this

#2 Offline Herdo - Posted August 4 2015 - 6:30 AM

Herdo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationGlendale, Arizona

Congrats.  It's not like you are too late this year either.  You should have plenty of opportunities to find queens in your area throughout August if this queen isn't fertile.

#3 Offline spinyeti - Posted August 4 2015 - 6:42 AM

spinyeti

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
That's good to hear, Herdo! I plan on bringing some prepped test tubes with me on my next hike, just in case. I'll keep a close eye on what I suspect to be the origin nest of my captive. Perhaps more will fly after a good rain (we are due for a storm soon).

#4 Offline BrittonLS - Posted August 4 2015 - 7:07 AM

BrittonLS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • LocationFt. Worth, Texas

Hello! I'm an engineer in the aviation industry living in Connecticut. I have been thinking about owning ants for about five years now, but lacked the space and was never prepared for nuptial flights.

A couple of weeks ago however, what appears to be a Camponotus pennsylvanicus alate "terrorized" my girlfriend by landing on her in her bedroom. I've caught it and transitioned it to a test tube which is now in a drawer in my office.

I have no real way to tell if she's fertile except to wait and read everything I can. The threads and posts I've found here have been very informative and have given me hope!

At the very least, I'm going to end up being very prepared for next spring, and will finally have ants of my own...

"I didn't choose the ant life, the ant life chose me."

Lol, welcome, yay engineers! I'm currently a mechanical engineering student down in Texas. And yeah, plenty of queens should be flying throughout August. That's my hope too at least.

• Foogoo and spinyeti like this

#5 Offline dermy - Posted August 4 2015 - 8:48 AM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

Welcome to the boards! As Herdo has said your not too late, in fact lots of species of ants choose to fly in the August or even September Months, A few honourable mentions would be Lasius neoniger [which flies around Labor Day] and a few Formica Species, Lasius and others.

#6 Offline spinyeti - Posted August 4 2015 - 9:25 AM

spinyeti

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

"I didn't choose the ant life, the ant life chose me."

At least, that's the excuse I'm using with my girlfriend to get my foot in the door (she dislikes everything creepy-crawly).

"She came to me! It's destiny, we can't fight it!" :P
  • stuhrike likes this

#7 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 4 2015 - 9:29 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Yeah you should still be able to find yourself some Formica possibly, Lasius most definitely, and maybe some Crematogaster a little later.

#8 Offline spinyeti - Posted August 4 2015 - 9:33 AM

spinyeti

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

A few honourable mentions would be Lasius neoniger [which flies around Labor Day] and a few Formica Species, Lasius and others.

I'll keep my eyes peeled for these! I like the Camponotus species I've found in my yard (Camponotus pennsylvanicus and Camponotus chromaiodes as far as I can tell from my fuzzy cell phone pictures of wild workers) for their large size and docile nature, but will probably feel confident enough with my homemade formicariums to attempt something smaller by the fall.

#9 Offline spinyeti - Posted August 4 2015 - 9:36 AM

spinyeti

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Yeah you should still be able to find yourself some Formica possibly, Lasius most definitely, and maybe some Crematogaster a little later.

Awesome! More ants than I thought!

I've been admiring your formicarium builds and especially your journal for your leafcutters. I wish I lived in a region that had leafcutter ants, they are my favorite.

#10 Offline LC3 - Posted August 4 2015 - 10:18 AM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

H'llo and welcome to the forums :)

If you plan to bring prepared test tubes for a hike be careful about them flooding.

#11 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted August 4 2015 - 10:51 AM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Nice! Welcome to the forum. :)

#12 Offline Jonathan21700 - Posted August 4 2015 - 11:43 AM

Jonathan21700

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Welcome! Good luck with your queen!

#13 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 4 2015 - 12:53 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Awesome! More ants than I thought!

I've been admiring your formicarium builds and especially your journal for your leafcutters. I wish I lived in a region that had leafcutter ants, they are my favorite.

Thanks. :)

#14 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 4 2015 - 12:54 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

H'llo and welcome to the forums :)

If you plan to bring prepared test tubes for a hike be careful about them flooding.

That's true. Nobody mentions this often, but if you have large air bubbles in your water reservoir and you go up in altitude, you will have a flood, and possibly a dead queen. I've had it happen a few times when I went up in the mountains with old test tube setups.

• Jonathan21700 and LC3 like this

#15 Offline Foogoo - Posted August 4 2015 - 2:07 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Welcome! Civil Engineer here. Together, we should be able to build an amazing, automated, self-maintaining formicarium. Or a box of dirt that's over budget and late on schedule...

• dspdrew, drtrmiller and LC3 like this

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#16 Offline BrittonLS - Posted August 4 2015 - 5:54 PM

BrittonLS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • LocationFt. Worth, Texas

Welcome! Civil Engineer here. Together, we should be able to build an amazing, automated, self-maintaining formicarium. Or a box of dirt that's over budget and late on schedule...

And flies

#17 Offline spinyeti - Posted August 5 2015 - 3:00 AM

spinyeti

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

And flies

I'm aiming for "meets customer requirements" on this first try. That's not to say I haven't already thought about incorporating an arduino in one...

#18 Offline spinyeti - Posted August 5 2015 - 9:02 AM

spinyeti

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

She has laid some eggs! Four or five eggs in a pile right in the middle of the tube. I noticed them while putting a second queen in a tube next to her (this new one was uncovered while splitting and stacking logs. I picked up the firewood she was scurrying over and kept an eye on her until my dad fetched a container). The new queen is dealate and so much calmer than the first. Peeking at them this morning, I saw an egg already in the dealate tube.

I guess I really need to get my formicarium(s!) constructed now! I will soon start a thread in the journal section to document further updates!

#19 Offline Jonathan21700 - Posted August 5 2015 - 9:31 AM

Jonathan21700

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts

It's good to leave her in the dark and check her only once a week. When I started I used to check my ants(Formica) every other day and they only got around 4 workers but now when I peek on them less often they usually get around 10 workers.

#20 Offline spinyeti - Posted August 5 2015 - 9:48 AM

spinyeti

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

It's good to leave her in the dark and check her only once a week.

You are of course correct. My patience had been rewarded with my first--it was perhaps easier, because I tubed her, then went on vacation for a week!

I have their tubes in a drawer in a dark room which is rarely used, and only looked at the first incidentally last night while containing the second. Now that it's clear they are both comfortable enough to lay eggs, I will not be disturbing them until next week, earliest.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users