• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

LF Pogonomyrmex Occidentalis - 2 separate colonies - motivated buyer

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Offline JMarcu - Posted September 7 2022 - 5:07 PM

JMarcu

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

I've recently built a couple large "ant farm" style formicariums. They are roughly 5'x4' with about 1/2" in between two panes of glass. I filled them 3/4 full with Pure brand decorative sand and successfully kept a group of Pogonomyrmex Occidentalis workers for some time. I'd love to now move into keeping colonies in the enclosures.

These are two completely separate enclosures so I'm looking for separate colonies for each.

I'll be the first to admit I'm very new to this so open to suggestions/info on similar species, sources, etc.

Thank you all

Edit 1:

Wanted to clarify that I did do my reading before introducing the workers, so by "successfully kept" I mean I took care of them, hydrated the sand, provided and kept clean the outer world, ventilation, feeding, etc. So your beloved colonies will not be haphazardly dumped into a sealed box of sand and left to die.

Edited by JMarcu, September 7 2022 - 5:14 PM.

#2 Offline UtahAnts - Posted September 7 2022 - 6:49 PM

UtahAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 599 posts
  • LocationUtah Valley

Those formicariums sound amazing, do you have any pics?

Leave the Road, take the Trails - Pythagoras

Utah Ant Keeping --- Here

DIY Formicariums and Outworlds --- Here

Honeypot Ant Journal --- Here

Photo Album --- Here

Videos --- Here

#3 Offline JMarcu - Posted September 12 2022 - 12:04 PM

JMarcu

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

I do! sorry was out of town for a bit

IMG-8769.jpg

IMG-8770.jpg

• UtahAnts and TypeD like this

#4 Online ANTdrew - Posted September 12 2022 - 3:29 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,422 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
You could order some from Stateside Ants.
https://www.statesid...ex-occidentalis

Those formicariums look amazing. Please make a journal about this project!
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#5 Offline That_one_ant_guy - Posted September 12 2022 - 4:13 PM

That_one_ant_guy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 477 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

sadly stateside ants can't ship P. Occidentalis to Cali (yet)

#6 Offline JMarcu - Posted September 19 2022 - 9:04 AM

JMarcu

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

sadly stateside ants can't ship P. Occidentalis to Cali (yet)

Ah bummer :/ Is there another Pogonomyrmex species that would be similarly tunnel-y and easily kept?

#7 Offline TypeD - Posted September 19 2022 - 9:30 AM

TypeD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

IMG-8769.jpg

IMG-8770.jpg

Looks very nice! If you're able to, I'd suggest adding some clay soil (like this one) into the medium, rather than just sand. I've had success incorporating it into the substrate mix in my vivariums; it does a great job of helping the soil hold structure and moisture, and preventing tunnel collapse. I imagine it wouldn't be easy to rescue your ants if an accident happened in this type of setup, so something to consider.

As far as Pogonomyrmex colonies go, looks like TarheelAnts has numerous colonies available, including this ants only one. Apparently they need a state permit to ship to California, but from the instructions on THA's website it seems easy to apply for.

#8 Offline JMarcu - Posted September 19 2022 - 11:15 AM

JMarcu

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

IMG-8769.jpg

IMG-8770.jpg

Looks very nice! If you're able to, I'd suggest adding some clay soil (like this one) into the medium, rather than just sand. I've had success incorporating it into the substrate mix in my vivariums; it does a great job of helping the soil hold structure and moisture, and preventing tunnel collapse. I imagine it wouldn't be easy to rescue your ants if an accident happened in this type of setup, so something to consider.

As far as Pogonomyrmex colonies go, looks like TarheelAnts has numerous colonies available, including this ants only one. Apparently they need a state permit to ship to California, but from the instructions on THA's website it seems easy to apply for.

Thanks for the suggestion on the clay soil! I'll give it a shot.

Also thanks for the THA rec. Through some other great recs on the forum I ended up deciding to go with P. Rugosus which is I'm told is still a good beginner species but more readily found all over CA.

• TypeD likes this

#9 Online ANTdrew - Posted September 19 2022 - 5:00 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,422 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Don’t pay for clay. It’s basically everywhere.
  • TypeD and JMarcu like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#10 Offline ZTYguy - Posted September 19 2022 - 11:32 PM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts
  • LocationNorthridge, California

If you want some P. rugosus you can find them all over formiculture. Just a few suggestions of vendors would be reignofrage, b_rad, kadinb or kadants.com, and last but not least AntsEmporium.com

• JMarcu likes this
Currently: Considering moving to Australia
Reason: Myrmecia

#11 Offline TypeD - Posted September 20 2022 - 8:06 AM

TypeD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

IMG-8769.jpg

IMG-8770.jpg

Thanks for the suggestion on the clay soil! I'll give it a shot.

Also thanks for the THA rec. Through some other great recs on the forum I ended up deciding to go with P. Rugosus which is I'm told is still a good beginner species but more readily found all over CA.

Great choice! That's a beautiful species.

• JMarcu likes this

#12 Offline T.C. - Posted September 20 2022 - 11:46 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts

Is that glass you cut yourself or did you order it custom made? Only recently did I find fairly priced options as far as customized glass. 

“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#13 Offline JMarcu - Posted September 21 2022 - 9:00 AM

JMarcu

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

Is that glass you cut yourself or did you order it custom made? Only recently did I find fairly priced options as far as customized glass. 

I went to a local glass shop to have it cut custom cut for me. With that size and weird shape I definitely didn't want to attempt that on my own haha. If you're going with a rectangular shape you may be able to find pre-cut online or at a local shop and then build your frame around what you find.

I went with 1/8" thick tempered glass for this one but after living with it for a bit I should have gone with 3/16 or 1/4 thick because of the large size - when the sand settles it's starting to bow out the middle of the glass slightly, but my faces are 4-5' across so unless you're going that large (more than 3' I'd guess) 1/8" should be plenty

• Ants_Dakota likes this

#14 Offline pauldandler - Posted September 30 2022 - 5:32 PM

pauldandler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationIrvine, California

are you secretly mark rober

Edited by pauldandler, September 30 2022 - 5:33 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users