• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Earwig details

earwig keeping setup questions

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Max_Connor - Posted August 6 2022 - 12:09 AM

Max_Connor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Hello!

I have done some research on keeping earwigs as feeders, and was wandering if anyone who has bred them successfully could help with these nuances:

1) Are male earwigs found just as easily as females? I've seen several female earwigs in my area, but no males. Are they hiding in some special places? 

2) If you put several females with one male into one setup, the females lay eggs and start tending to them, do you catch and release the male? The females store the sperm for a long time, so the male is probably not needed anymore?

3) Can you feed your ants with large earwig eggs and babies fresh, without boiling or freezing them? Just to make sure they don't have infections or parasites? Or should you sterilize them in some way first?

Thanks for reading and answering

#2 Offline Serafine - Posted August 6 2022 - 3:05 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

Um, get anything else instead.

It's difficult to keep multiple earwigs in the same small setup because they don't just eat each other, they will actively kill each other.

They are pretty skilled predators with a hard exoskeleton and will give your ants a lot of problems. Worst case one gets inside the nest and takes the queen off the census. They're fully capable of one-shotting an ant with their pincers if they hit right.

Also they are partially carnivorous which makes keeping them as feeders kinda pointless.

There are so many feeders that are much easier to keep like fruitflies, mealworms, roaches, isopods or waxworms.

Edited by Serafine, August 6 2022 - 3:08 AM.

• ANTdrew likes this

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#3 Offline ANTdrew - Posted August 6 2022 - 4:49 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Well said. Not to mention, it’s easy to find a near infinite supply in safe habitats. At least that’s the case in my area. My ants love to eat pre-killed earwigs.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#4 Offline Max_Connor - Posted August 6 2022 - 5:15 AM

Max_Connor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

It's difficult to keep multiple earwigs in the same small setup because they don't just eat each other, they will actively kill each other.

They are pretty skilled predators with a hard exoskeleton and will give your ants a lot of problems. Worst case one gets inside the nest and takes the queen off the census. They're fully capable of one-shotting an ant with their pincers if they hit right.

Also they are partially carnivorous which makes keeping them as feeders kinda pointless.

There are so many feeders that are much easier to keep like fruitflies, mealworms, roaches, isopods or waxworms.

Ok, that's weird.

Because there are some people who keep several earwigs in setups and they don't kill each other, and keeping seems easy:

https://insectandent...l-guide-to-keep

Also, of course I wouldn't give my ants live earwigs, I would smash them first.

Thanks for help

#5 Offline Fresh Hex - Posted August 11 2022 - 6:43 PM

Fresh Hex

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Locationsavannah georgia

Ok, that's weird.

Because there are some people who keep several earwigs in setups and they don't kill each other, and keeping seems easy:

https://insectandent...l-guide-to-keep

Also, of course I wouldn't give my ants live earwigs, I would smash them first.

Thanks for help

I've kept a colony of Euborellia arcanum before. They're fairly easy to keep and breed and aren't very cannibalistic so long as they're fed regularly. Mine would eat prekilled roaches, crushed dog food, and occasional bits of fruit. I can't speak on how useful they'd be raised as feeders, but the colony did grow quickly.

• UtahAnts and Max_Connor like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: earwig, keeping, setup, questions

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users