• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Leaf cutter ants eating a moth?

leaf cutter ants atta atta mexicana strange questions

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AntsTopia - Posted February 1 2024 - 3:59 PM

AntsTopia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY and Managua, Nicaragua

HI guys! Its been quite a while since I have posted here and plan on updating my Atta Mexicana journal tomorrow. My colony has been getting quite big and they cut leaves every day  so naturally I have a separate feeding area for them. The feeding area got quite damp since I don't want the leaves or flowers to get dry. However it got to the point where I couldn't see inside because of the condensation. So I put some fluon on the lid and took the lid off so it could air out. I always have the light on over their feeding area to simulate day and night since I don't want the colony getting too big too fast. Unfortunately, some of the Wax Worms for my bearded dragon escaped and pupated into moths. Apparently a moth flew inside the foraging area trying to get to the light. At this point I wasn't there. All I saw was them dragging a moth through the tubes when I was there. The moth was giving them a hard time but eventually they did kill it. I was expecting them to drag the moth to the garbage bin but no. They dragged the moth to the fungus chamber where they chopped it up to pieces and the workers and soldiers were consuming it. I'm surprised and not so surprised at the same time. I do see them cannibalize the brood now and then. I would like to hear thoughts on this matter. 

Thanks for reading!

Keeper of:

Atta Mexicana x 1

Messor Barbarus x 1

Ants are just better.

#2 Offline JesseTheAntKid - Posted February 1 2024 - 4:26 PM

JesseTheAntKid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationHouston TX

Maybe they thought it was a leaf? Also, this is scary.

• AntsTopia and Artisan_Ants like this

Currently keeping: Pheidole obscurithorax (FINALLY I CAN STUDY THEM AND HAVE THEIR COOL MAJORS  B)), Tetramorium bicarinatum, Solenopsis spp. (probably xyloni, the queens are tiny hehe)

Wanting: Atta texana, Camponotus planatus (PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE CAN SOMEONE HOOK ME UP WITH ATTA)

Previously kept: Monomorium minimum, Pheidole dentata

"ATTAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!" -Me

"AAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" -Even more me

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"- Me personified

#3 Offline Artisan_Ants - Posted February 1 2024 - 4:47 PM

Artisan_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationChester County, PA
Well, all ants should have some source of protein right? Or their larvae are very likely to not grow. And (depending on the type of fungus) it produces a special kind of protein for the workers, and their larvae to eat and grow. But the fact that they consumed a moth, which has completely different protein, is very odd.
Wow, according to some studies, it seems like A. cephalotes occasionally go for insects; and A. cephalotes (along with practically every other species in the genus Atta) are a phylogenic version of A. mexicana. Meaning that, the gene of this behavior has likely passed on (though it really just matters on what the ants themselves do) from A. mexicana. Just a suggestion of what might have happened.

Edited by Artisan_Ants, February 1 2024 - 5:26 PM.

• AntsTopia likes this

Keeping:

3x - S. molesta 

1x - C. chromaiodes

2x - F. pallidefulva

2x - C. cerasi

1x - B. depilis

2x P. imparis (colonies) 3x P. imparis queens (1x queen in test tube, 3x queens in test tube, and 6x queens in another test tube. Can't wait to see the results!)

Check out my C. chromaiodes journal here: https://www.formicul...aiodes-journal/

#4 Offline AntsTopia - Posted February 1 2024 - 5:06 PM

AntsTopia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts

No, the way they were attacking the moth was similar to a Solenopsis colony or a Tetramorium colony. It was covered in ants when I saw the commotion. They don't do that do leaves. 

• Artisan_Ants likes this

Keeper of:

Atta Mexicana x 1

Messor Barbarus x 1

Ants are just better.

#5 Offline AntsTopia - Posted February 1 2024 - 6:31 PM

AntsTopia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Well, all ants should have some source of protein right? Or their larvae are very likely to not grow. And (depending on the type of fungus) it produces a special kind of protein for the workers, and their larvae to eat and grow. But the fact that they consumed a moth, which has completely different protein, is very odd.
Wow, according to some studies, it seems like A. cephalotes occasionally go for insects; and A. cephalotes (along with practically every other species in the genus Atta) are a phylogenic version of A. mexicana. Meaning that, the gene of this behavior has likely passed on (though it really just matters on what the ants themselves do) from A. mexicana. Just a suggestion of what might have happened.

That's interesting. Maybe if someone had a lot of Atta Mexicana colonies they could try to take the fungus out and only provide sweets and insects. The workers would be fine but apparently the larva solely depend on the fungus for nutrition. Then again there's no point in having leaf cutter ants if they don't cut leaves. All in all, your suggestion seems to be the answer. 

Edited by AntsTopia, February 1 2024 - 6:32 PM.

Keeper of:

Atta Mexicana x 1

Messor Barbarus x 1

Ants are just better.

#6 Offline ZATrippit - Posted February 2 2024 - 3:30 PM

ZATrippit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • LocationWaikato, NZ
Ants aren't discriminatory when it comes to protein, unless it's toxic.
FROM NEW ZEALAND YEAHHHHHH!!!!!!!Species I have:3x Iridomyrmex undescribed2x Ochetellus glaberFree Queen Ants- 100% Legit (not a scam):<p>https://blogs.mtdv.m...free-queen-ants

#7 Offline JesseTheAntKid - Posted February 2 2024 - 6:59 PM

JesseTheAntKid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationHouston TX

No, the way they were attacking the moth was similar to a Solenopsis colony or a Tetramorium colony. It was covered in ants when I saw the commotion. They don't do that do leaves. 

Well now I'm very scared.

• AntsTopia likes this

Currently keeping: Pheidole obscurithorax (FINALLY I CAN STUDY THEM AND HAVE THEIR COOL MAJORS  B)), Tetramorium bicarinatum, Solenopsis spp. (probably xyloni, the queens are tiny hehe)

Wanting: Atta texana, Camponotus planatus (PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE CAN SOMEONE HOOK ME UP WITH ATTA)

"AAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" -Even more me

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"- Me personified

#8 Offline AntsTopia - Posted February 3 2024 - 12:26 PM

AntsTopia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Yes, but leaf cutting ants have been around for thousands of years or more eating fungus as their main source protein. I also tried giving them another moth and to my suprise they ate it and discarded the exoskeleton. If I am able to give them a steady source of protein maybe they can leave the fungus alone by not eating it as much and only serving it to the larva and the queen.

Keeper of:

Atta Mexicana x 1

Messor Barbarus x 1

Ants are just better.

#9 Offline cutchins - Posted February 11 2024 - 7:59 AM

cutchins

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationBrownsville, TX

Yes, but leaf cutting ants have been around for thousands of years or more eating fungus as their main source protein. I also tried giving them another moth and to my suprise they ate it and discarded the exoskeleton. If I am able to give them a steady source of protein maybe they can leave the fungus alone by not eating it as much and only serving it to the larva and the queen.

Honestly, this is interesting as hell. I wonder how consistently feeding them in this way would affect the growth and behavior of the colony. Would be cool if this type of thing had been tried and documented...

• futurebird and AntsTopia like this

#10 Offline JesseTheAntKid - Posted February 11 2024 - 8:31 PM

JesseTheAntKid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationHouston TX

Time to start packing my stuff for the inevitable time when I must retreat to the bunker and escape the hordes of ravenous leafcutter ants that are poised for world domination.

• cutchins likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: leaf cutter ants, atta, atta mexicana, strange, questions

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users