• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

AntsCanada Ants Store

antscanada formicarium antfarm

• Please log in to reply
222 replies to this topic

#181 Offline AntsCanada - Posted November 12 2016 - 5:23 PM

AntsCanada

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Do you have trap jaw ants in your area? I would love to see a video on them :)

Actually, I have made it so I receive an email when someone posts here in this thread but I am not always free to respond.

Yes, we do have Odontomachus spp. here and yes I will definitely make a video about them!
Ant love forever!
http://antscanada.com

#182 Offline NZAntKeeper - Posted November 12 2016 - 6:28 PM

NZAntKeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

pretty cool! 

Did you make those little sugar states yourself? Pretty good sculpting.

No, a very skilled cakemaker friend created them. She's great right?

That Hillary video was way too short. Please make some comparison videos again, I loved the video with the Burger meats - it's kind of interesting to see what ants prefer when given choices (although I expect the fire nation to just consume everything that comes into their path at their current size).

I will definitely do more Ant Reaction videos. The next one should be uploading Wednesday.

NEW VIDEO: Part 2 of our new Yellow Crazy Ant Supercolony. See what happened to Queen 1, VOTE for a name for the colony, and watch them do an Ant Mannequin Challenge!

pretty cool! 

Did you make those little sugar states yourself? Pretty good sculpting.

No, a very skilled cakemaker friend created them. She's great right?

That Hillary video was way too short. Please make some comparison videos again, I loved the video with the Burger meats - it's kind of interesting to see what ants prefer when given choices (although I expect the fire nation to just consume everything that comes into their path at their current size).

I will definitely do more Ant Reaction videos. The next one should be uploading Wednesday.

NEW VIDEO: Part 2 of our new Yellow Crazy Ant Supercolony. See what happened to Queen 1, VOTE for a name for the colony, and watch them do an Ant Mannequin Challenge!

Are you now uploading Saturday and Wednesday?

My Youtube Channel
https://m.youtube.co...R--GtDfJdaJjWpQ

Species I have kept or are keeping
-Nylanderia sp?
-Pheidole sp
-Pachycondyla Castanea (I didn't catch the queen sadly)
-Monomorium Antarcticum
-Iridomyrmex sp
-Ochetellus Glaber

-Amblyopone Australis

#183 Offline AntsCanada - Posted November 12 2016 - 7:07 PM

AntsCanada

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
Good question. Well, I'm not promising every Wednesday but I often have videos done ahead of time and are sitting around waiting to be uploaded so if so, yes I will start uploading additional videos on Wednesday, or I have been thinking of Mondays for the bonus videos (which was our original schedule). Longer meaty videos and AC question of the week, though would be Saturdays. That's the plan for now. Haha it's always changing.
  • ctantkeeper likes this
Ant love forever!

#184 Offline Goldsystem - Posted November 15 2016 - 12:37 PM

Goldsystem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • LocationWichita Kansas
Well he responded to the last two people who commented...

#185 Offline Goldsystem - Posted November 15 2016 - 12:38 PM

Goldsystem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • LocationWichita Kansas

Do you have trap jaw ants in your area? I would love to see a video on them :)

Actually, I have made it so I receive an email when someone posts here in this thread but I am not always free to respond.

Yes, we do have Odontomachus spp. here and yes I will definitely make a video about them!

Can't wait!

#186 Offline Solenoqueen - Posted November 15 2016 - 2:34 PM

Solenoqueen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Are you going to make a Myrmecocystus formicarium?

:>

#187 Offline AntsCanada - Posted November 19 2016 - 5:26 AM

AntsCanada

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

No, as they do not occur where I live butt here is a video on Myrmecocystus coming up soon! :) Please stay tuned for that!

----

Greetings Ant lovers!

This week’s episode on the AntsCanada Ant Channel is Part 1 to our Two Part American Thanksgiving Special. We delve into the amazing lives of Leafcutter ants and discover the complexities of their agricultural world. We look at their care, and also how humans are studying them to help better improve our medicine. It also features the ants of our very own Andrew Smith, the one who runs this forum! Thank you, drew for taking the time to let me drop by to film!

We also announce for the AC Question of the Week our GRAND BLACK FRIDAY Giveaway, as our big thanksgiving gift to you, our AC Family, for the undying support this year. Watch the new video here:

• dspdrew, MrILoveTheAnts, dermy and 1 other like this
Ant love forever!

#188 Offline dspdrew - Posted November 19 2016 - 7:24 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

No, as they do not occur where I live butt here is a video on Myrmecocystus coming up soon! :) Please stay tuned for that!

----

Greetings Ant lovers!

This week’s episode on the AntsCanada Ant Channel is Part 1 to our Two Part American Thanksgiving Special. We delve into the amazing lives of Leafcutter ants and discover the complexities of their agricultural world. We look at their care, and also how humans are studying them to help better improve our medicine. It also features the ants of our very own Andrew Smith, the one who runs this forum! Thank you, drew for taking the time to let me drop by to film!

We also announce for the AC Question of the Week our GRAND BLACK FRIDAY Giveaway, as our big thanksgiving gift to you, our AC Family, for the undying support this year. Watch the new video here:

You forgot Trachymyrmex!

• dermy likes this

#189 Offline Mdrogun - Posted November 19 2016 - 8:19 PM

Mdrogun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationGainesville, FL

----

Greetings Ant lovers!

You forgot Trachymyrmex!

and Cyphomyrmex

Currently Keeping:
Trachymyrmex septentrionalis

Pheidole pilifera

Forelius sp. (Monogynous, bicolored) "Midwestern Forelius"
Crematogaster cerasi

Pheidole bicarinata

Aphaenogaster rudis

Camponotus chromaiodes

Formica sp. (microgena species)

Nylanderia cf. arenivega

#190 Offline AntsCanada - Posted November 19 2016 - 8:37 PM

AntsCanada

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
I mentioned both of those genera in the comments section (pinned) as an additional note :)
Ant love forever!

#191 Offline T.C. - Posted November 19 2016 - 9:40 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

I was catching up on a bunch of your videos I have been missing. I think this one was my favorite. Did that second colony you were trying to introduce to the first have alates though?

" Whatever You Are, Be a Good One "

#192 Offline AntsCanada - Posted November 26 2016 - 9:26 AM

AntsCanada

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

I was catching up on a bunch of your videos I have been missing. I think this one was my favorite. Did that second colony you were trying to introduce to the first have alates though?

Thank you! Yes, Colony B only had male alates though. :) Thank you for watching!

NEW VIDEO: This week we take an intimate look at the ever diverse Harvester Ants for Part 2 of our two part Thanksgiving Special. We also announce our up coming Christmas Sale and Ant Keeping Beginner Promo! Hope you enjoy this week’s video!

Ant love forever!

#193 Offline AntsCanada - Posted November 26 2016 - 9:27 AM

AntsCanada

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

And another bonus video which uploaded prior to US Thanksgiving: 

Ant love forever!

#194 Offline SamKeepsAnts - Posted December 2 2016 - 1:43 PM

SamKeepsAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • LocationSoCal

What has more space in it - omni nest extra large or omninest vertical large?

Owner of :

7 Founding Brachymyrmex Patagonicus queens

#195 Offline Goldsystem - Posted December 2 2016 - 2:09 PM

Goldsystem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • LocationWichita Kansas
I think the vertical but that one drys out kinda fast

Edited by Goldsystem, December 2 2016 - 2:09 PM.

#196 Offline SamKeepsAnts - Posted December 2 2016 - 2:19 PM

SamKeepsAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • LocationSoCal

ok thanks

Owner of :

7 Founding Brachymyrmex Patagonicus queens

#197 Offline Serafine - Posted December 2 2016 - 4:02 PM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

The vertical is more suitable for species that require lots of ceiling space (honey pots) or dry rooms (like Messor for seed-storing and some Camponotus are also very dry-loving).

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#198 Offline AntsCanada - Posted December 2 2016 - 5:17 PM

AntsCanada

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

What has more space in it - omni nest extra large or omninest vertical large?

Definitely more space in an Omni Xtra Large. They are quite big formicariums and will hold many, many ants. Think the size of those large laptops.

The Omni Nest Vertical has a lot of space, as well, but offers less hydration area (only the sponge side stays moist) which works for a lot of ant species but not recommended for moisture-loving ants like Myrmica.

Hope this helps!
Ant love forever!

#199 Offline Californian Anter - Posted December 2 2016 - 8:43 PM

Californian Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationFremont, California

When do you think the large Hybrid Nests will return?

Keeper of:

Camponotus Vicinus

Prenolepis Imparis

Tetramorium Sp. E x2

#200 Offline AntsCanada - Posted December 2 2016 - 8:51 PM

AntsCanada

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

When do you think the large Hybrid Nests will return?

Definitely first quarter of 2017. We actually have new Test Tube Portals and Test Tube racks that are now being included in all the starter kits that I haven't photographed yet for the site. Now that these have launched, the new Hybrids are next. They are larger and much more sleek, and no longer 3d printed.
Ant love forever!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: antscanada, formicarium, antfarm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users