• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Unknown Tetramorium species Journal

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Roachant - Posted July 23 2015 - 3:36 PM

Roachant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Quebec, Canada
Hi all,
This spring I found several queens of an unknown tetramorium species and kept them in test tubes and small petri dishes. I tried a small experiment, I put two queens together instead of keeping them alone. I have noticed the queens that were together did remarkably better and started a colony much quicker than the other queens. Here is a video link to the two queen colony which had just recently gotten its first nanitics.
I have to say though, those first nanitics are some of the smallest ants i have ever seen!

I have just put in their first insect, a small sowbug and they immediatley killed it and brought it in their petri dish nest. I plan to move them to a nest as soon as they have enough workers to fill their petri home.
Thank you all for identifying this species for me!

Don

Edited by Roachant, July 25 2015 - 7:36 PM.

#2 Offline Chall - Posted July 23 2015 - 5:19 PM

Chall

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationCalifornia, BayArea
Where did you find them what state

#3 Offline Chall - Posted July 23 2015 - 5:21 PM

Chall

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationCalifornia, BayArea
Honestly I have no idea

#4 Offline AntsAreUs - Posted July 23 2015 - 7:35 PM

AntsAreUs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationMarion, IN

Wait... could that be Tetramorium?

Eh, probably not though.

Edited by AntsAreUs, July 23 2015 - 7:36 PM.

#5 Offline LC3 - Posted July 23 2015 - 8:31 PM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Eh, probably not though.

It does look surprisingly close to Tetramorium. Picked up a few specimens I have and the queens look nearly identical o.O  

I'm not sure if Tetramorium found their colonies with other queens but if they do make it Raochant (aka not having an "election") You may have found a rare strain of polygynous Tetramorium. :D 

#6 Offline Jonathan21700 - Posted July 24 2015 - 1:01 PM

Jonathan21700

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Do you have any photos?

Looks like Tetramorium.

Edited by Jonathan21700, July 24 2015 - 1:06 PM.

#7 Offline William. T - Posted July 24 2015 - 2:25 PM

William. T

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • LocationWestern Maryland

Eh, probably not though.

It does look surprisingly close to Tetramorium. Picked up a few specimens I have and the queens look nearly identical o.O  

I'm not sure if Tetramorium found their colonies with other queens but if they do make it Raochant (aka not having an "election") You may have found a rare strain of polygynous Tetramorium. :D

Tetramorium sometimes start colonies with other queens. I did an experiment with Tetramorium SpE, and put two queens in a test tube. When the notices emerged, in some of the tubes the weaker queens was killed, but in other tubes the queens get along fine. Does look like Tetramorium though, and they look like Tetramorium SpE, which flew in droves a few weeks back.

• LC3 likes this

Species I keep:

1 Lasius cf. Neoniger 30 workers

1 Camponotus sp. 15 workers

20 Tetramorium SpE 30 workers

1 T. Sessile 200 workers

#8 Offline Roachant - Posted July 25 2015 - 2:07 AM

Roachant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Hmmm.. Well, they have been showing up regularly in my pool starting on June 16. They have been having flights for about a month and have since stopped as of July 10th or so. I find them during the day.
Here are a few pictures,image.jpg image.jpg

So far the two queens are getting along very well. They even feed each other and every day I see more and more workers. If there will be a power struggle I'm guessing it will be soon.

#9 Offline AntTeen804 - Posted July 25 2015 - 6:37 AM

AntTeen804

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • LocationVirginia
Yeah those are Tetramorium.

If you ain't got a dream, you ain't got nothing.

#10 Offline Roachant - Posted July 25 2015 - 6:09 PM

Roachant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Whoops! Identifying ants is so complicated. I feel stupid for really missing the boat on these ones though.
At least I have heard they are an easy to keep species.

#11 Offline LC3 - Posted July 25 2015 - 7:04 PM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Yah might want to edit the title, change it Tetramorium sp. e.

#12 Offline Roachant - Posted July 25 2015 - 7:40 PM

Roachant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Changed it! Thanks guys!

#13 Offline dermy - Posted July 26 2015 - 1:45 AM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

Good luck with them they are a great beginner species! Colonies grow fairly large too!

Edited by dermy, July 26 2015 - 1:45 AM.

• AntTeen804 likes this

#14 Offline Roachant - Posted August 17 2015 - 6:01 PM

Roachant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Update on this colony!
I plan to have some new video soon, I,just have to edit it together.
So so far my experiment to have two tetramorium queens together is still working. They seem to be very close, almost inseparable and I am now up to at least 35-40 workers!
They also eat a lot. I have been giving them live insects once every three days and they devouring them as soon as they encounter them. And these are not small insects either, I gave them large Isopods, crickets, huge flies they hollow them out within a few hours. Judging from the piles of larvae, I'm going to have a lot more workers from this colony very soon.
I noticed something odd but, maybe it's just me. For some reason there are two piles of larvae on two sides of their nest. Could this be because they are from two different queens?
Regardless, I see no violence (haven't seen a dead worker yet) so if there's going to be a civil war in there, I'm guessing it won't be anytime soon.
I find they are a rewarding species to keep as they are quite active all over the nest and outworld.
  • Myrmicinae and LC3 like this

#15 Offline Huch - Posted August 17 2015 - 6:09 PM

Huch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Cool. I hope this works out so we can know that this species can have multiple queens.

#16 Offline Myrmicinae - Posted August 17 2015 - 6:59 PM

Myrmicinae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationFort Collins, CO

Very interesting.  In my attempts at keeping multiple queens together, all but one are always killed immediately before or after eclosion of first workers.  Definitely keep us updated!

Journals on Formiculture:
Pheidole ceres
Tapinoma sessile

Old YouTube Channel:
ColoradoAnts

#17 Offline Crystals - Posted August 18 2015 - 11:15 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

The seperation of the brood is common, it is usually sorted by size/stage of brood.  Pupae separate from large larvae, separate from small larvae, etc.

Sometimes queens can co-exist for quite some time, but with species that tend to be monogynous any big stresser might tilt the balance of power.  Some of Drew's colonies had 50+ workers before they removed the extra queens.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#18 Offline William. T - Posted August 18 2015 - 1:44 PM

William. T

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts

The seperation of the brood is common, it is usually sorted by size/stage of brood.  Pupae separate from large larvae, separate from small larvae, etc.

Sometimes queens can co-exist for quite some time, but with species that tend to be monogynous any big stresser might tilt the balance of power.  Some of Drew's colonies had 50+ workers before they removed the extra queens.

One of my queens somehow wanted to attack the termite soldiers I fed her colony. She is part of a three queen Tetramorium colony I have, 25 workers. She was tussling with an aggressive soldier almost her size. Long story short, she must have got injured, because she was in the colony debris pile the next morning.

Edited by William. T, August 18 2015 - 1:45 PM.

• Roachant likes this

Species I keep:

1 T. Sessile 200 workers

#19 Offline Roachant - Posted August 19 2015 - 4:59 PM

Roachant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

One of my queens somehow wanted to attack the termite soldiers I fed her colony. She is part of a three queen Tetramorium colony I have, 25 workers. She was tussling with an aggressive soldier almost her size. Long story short, she must have got injured, because she was in the colony debris pile the next morning.

Interesting, it almost seems that the cooperation between queens is fragile at best.
  • LC3 likes this

#20 Offline William. T - Posted August 20 2015 - 4:26 AM

William. T

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Interesting, it almost seems that the cooperation between queens is fragile at best.

Yeah, they really must want an excuse to get rid of her. I bet if I touched her, she would also go in the debris pile.

Species I keep:

1 T. Sessile 200 workers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users