• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Greg's (Old) Acromyrmex versicolor Journal (Discontinued)

leafcutter ant leafcutter acromyrmex acromyrmex versicolor journal

• Please log in to reply
147 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted September 28 2014 - 3:27 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I caught four Acromyrmex versicolor queens just south of Joshua Tree National Park a couple days after a mating flight, on an early August night. I tried as hard as I could, but I was not able to get the fungus necessary for their survival. :( I took them home anyway, in hopes I can find someone with the proper fungus. They have lasted a few months now on no food. dspdrew said I can get some fungus from him, so I bought some when I went to get the Solenopsis invicta from him. I immediately introduced two queens to the fungus. In their hunger, they immedietly tackled the fungus, split it in two, and devoured some of it. I gave them some of the same Cichlid Pellets that Drew fed his. They started adding to the fungus within the third day, and it is growing nice. It has started to look a little grey, but it continues to grow. Today, Day Three, they split the fungus into three separate gardens, which I am very happy about, because after they grow a little more, it will be extraordinarily easy to distribute fungus to the other two queens. Also, I used two queens at the begining to:

1: In case one queen rejects the fungus, the other one will still care for it.

2: Two ants caring to the fungus will hopefully result in it growing faster, so therefore I can give some to the other two queens in need before it is too late.

I know before they get workers, I will have to split them, and therefore the fungus as well again.

Here are the two queens a few hours before being introduced to the fungus.

gallery_114_224_335423.jpg

Here they are with their three fungus gardens, each is about the size of their gaster now.

gallery_114_224_333527.jpg

gallery_114_224_368369.jpg

Here is the largest fungus garden magnified, through the glass. Notice the liquid around it is most likely excretion from the queens, which helps fertilize the fungus.

gallery_114_224_58871.jpg

Edited by Gregory2455, February 20 2019 - 10:15 PM.

#2 Offline DesertAntz - Posted September 28 2014 - 3:34 PM

DesertAntz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • LocationArizona

Awesome. I hope your queens do well. 

The good man is the friend of all living things. - Gandhi 

#3 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted September 28 2014 - 3:38 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Thanks! I hope they do well too :D I have such hope for this species, I love leafcutter ants so much!

#4 Offline dspdrew - Posted September 28 2014 - 3:46 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Nice! The fungus looks good, and is definitely being cared for with fluids and substrate being added to it that quick.

#5 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted September 28 2014 - 3:48 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Nice! The fungus looks good, and is definitely being cared for with fluids and substrate being added to it that quick.

Thanks! Also, what I forgot to mention is that I am SUPER open to suggestions with this colony, I have an idea of what type of formicarium I will make for these, but that is still in the rough stages of planning still too. :)

#6 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted September 29 2014 - 4:25 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

The queens decided to merge the two smaller fungus gardens yesterday, and the fungus is now just about back to the size where I got it from Drew (Before the queens ravaged it), and may even be a little larger. Also, I see a clear patch on each of the two fungus gardens, even my eyes are not good enough to see what's in them, but as far as I can see, they may be eggs! :D

#7 Offline Tpro4 - Posted September 30 2014 - 12:07 PM

Tpro4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationNorth Hills, CA
Nice, good luck with this species
Remember Dragon Warrior, anything is possible when you have inner peace. - Master Shifu

Current Queens:
1 Unknown Pogomyemex
1 Solenopsis Xyloni

#8 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted September 30 2014 - 4:30 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

They basically have not added almost any substrate yet since I got the fungus, Drew, are the queens rejecting it, or do they think the things I am giving them will not do good for the fungus? The reason I stated it looks bigger, is because obviously the growing hairs of the fungus make it look so. It is now brilliantly white and healthy looking again however.

#9 Offline dspdrew - Posted September 30 2014 - 5:43 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Just give them a variety of substrate to choose from. I'm sure they will start adding to it soon.

#10 Offline Mercutia - Posted September 30 2014 - 6:47 PM

Mercutia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

So happy for you Greg. Finally got your fungus. I bet you're going to have so much fun watching them grow.

#11 Offline Crystals - Posted September 30 2014 - 7:23 PM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

I bet you never thought that one day you would be thrilled to watch fungus grow.  :D

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#12 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted September 30 2014 - 7:34 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

So happy for you Greg. Finally got your fungus. I bet you're going to have so much fun watching them grow.

Thank you so much Mercutia, yeah, I am ecstatic to have it, and it is thrilling to check on it every five minutes! :D

I bet you never thought that one day you would be thrilled to watch fungus grow.  :D

Nope, that is the fun in it! :lol:

#13 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted October 1 2014 - 3:51 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Disaster! I came home today and checked on the fungus. It was fine just six hours ago, but now the largest fungus garden has disappeared and the small one looks like it is dying. I found a ball of substrate on the dry cotton, pretty tangled in it, which may have been the fungus. I am so sad right now! I do not know where a ball that big could have gone! :*( :(

#14 Offline DesertAntz - Posted October 1 2014 - 3:53 PM

DesertAntz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • LocationArizona

That's unfortunate. Fungi seems like touchy business. So much can go wrong. 

#15 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted October 1 2014 - 4:14 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Yeah, I think in an emergency effort am going to go present them with a bunch of different stuff to feed to it, just to see if they may take one... :(

#16 Offline Tpro4 - Posted October 1 2014 - 4:19 PM

Tpro4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationNorth Hills, CA

check and see if there is any fungus piece still alive

Remember Dragon Warrior, anything is possible when you have inner peace. - Master Shifu

Current Queens:
1 Unknown Pogomyemex
1 Solenopsis Xyloni

#17 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted October 1 2014 - 4:25 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

It is still alive, it is just thinning... :(

#18 Offline dspdrew - Posted October 1 2014 - 5:38 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Keep it very close to the wet cotton. I notice that every fungus garden I have is twice as white and fuzzy on the side closest to the cotton, and more towards the top of the tube where the water vapor mostly sits.

#19 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted October 2 2014 - 2:43 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

The fungus is dead. :( I cannot see anywhere where it is growing, and this different fungus started growing on the substrate. It is white, like the ant fungus, bit has long thin hairs coming off of it, with a little ball at the end.  :*( I am so sad.

Edited by Gregory2455, October 2 2014 - 2:45 PM.

#20 Offline DesertAntz - Posted October 2 2014 - 3:01 PM

DesertAntz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • LocationArizona

RIP fungi. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: leafcutter ant, leafcutter, acromyrmex, acromyrmex versicolor, journal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users