• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

ColAnt735's Lasius brevicornis Journal

lasius brevicornis

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 Offline ant_ - Posted June 2 2022 - 1:04 PM

ant_

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

great i might try it too.

#22 Offline ColAnt735 - Posted August 14 2022 - 7:39 PM

ColAnt735

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • LocationOntario,Canada

Holy cow I haven't updated this journal in forever...

Update 14/8/22

Sadly this colony was somewhat neglected by my grandma over my family vacation. They lost all but three of their queens and most of their workers.They also had a GIANT grain mite infestation like really bad they pretty much covered the inside of the test tube.  Now they have quite a few cocoons and eggs from and I moved them into a self made dirt nest and moved them in today. It didn't take long for them to start digging and now they have burrowed in the dirt. The queens have disappeared underneath the soil. I hope this colony bounces back to what it once was. Also I apologize for not updating this journal in a while. Thank you for reading and have a great rest of your day (or night)!

photo:

kjBcMvd.jpg

• Leptomyrmx and lazyant like this

"If an ant carries an object a hundred times it's weight,you can carry burdens many times your size.

#23 Offline Leptomyrmx - Posted August 14 2022 - 10:12 PM

Leptomyrmx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Note to self: if anyone looks after my ants, tell them which ones they can neglect.

• ColAnt735 likes this

My Ants:

Colonies: Camponotus humilior 1w, Opisthopsis rufithorax 11w, Aphaenogaster longiceps ~5w, Pheidole sp. ~235w ~15m, Iridomyrmex sp. 2q 1w, Brachyponera lutea 6w, Crematogaster sp. ~20w, Podomyrma sp. 1w

Queens: Polyrhachis cf. robinsoni, Polyrhachis (Campomyrma) sp. (likely infertile)

Previously Kept: Colobopsis gasseri, Technomyrmex sp., Rhytidoponera victorae, Nylanderia cf. rosae, Myrmecia brevinoda/forficata, Polyrhachis australis, Solenopsis/Monomorium

Key: Q = Queen, W = Worker, M = Major

Youtube Channel: Ants of Sydney - YouTube

Patreon (for YouTube channel): https://www.patreon.com/antsofsydney

#24 Offline ColAnt735 - Posted September 29 2022 - 12:24 PM

ColAnt735

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • LocationOntario,Canada

Diapause Update 29/9/22

Thankfully since the last update this colony bounced back. They now are numbered around fifty workers with lots of eggs. Sadly the one of the three queens perished but other than this they have been pretty active and growing well.  I really hope that this colony survives diapause because they are beautiful. Thanks for reading and may your ants have a safe diapause ( if you live in a colder climate).

• lazyant likes this

"If an ant carries an object a hundred times it's weight,you can carry burdens many times your size.

#25 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted September 30 2022 - 5:51 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Interesting, your ants laid over winter in December-February? did you not hibernate them in canada?

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#26 Offline ColAnt735 - Posted September 30 2022 - 10:43 AM

ColAnt735

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • LocationOntario,Canada

Interesting, your ants laid over winter in December-February? did you not hibernate them in canada?

Yes I hibernated them in Canada. I was very impatient back then.

• lazyant likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lasius brevicornis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users