• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

ColAnt735's Lasius brevicornis Journal

lasius brevicornis

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Offline ColAnt735 - Posted April 24 2022 - 6:52 PM

ColAnt735

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • LocationOntario,Canada

You know what? I've decided for the first time since I joined this forum and AntBoi3030 said that I should make a journal on this species I'm actually going to do it. So Ant keepers of all ages gather round for some backstory of my Lasius brevicornis colony (sorry for the bad pictures):

These queens were caught on September 11th.There were originally a total of twenty-three queens that helped found this colony at the moment there are only twelve queens in the colony as six queens sadly passed away and I gave away five queens to a friend because if you are like me you don't want to destroy your mental health and feeder supplies with just the sheer number of ants twenty three queens in a single colony can create. These queens got a consistent egg pile on December 12th mainly because I think there was one unmated queen that just constantly ate the eggs being laid. On December 20th I noticed their first larvae and then  for almost a two month period nothing happened no growth nothing happened at all. I got pretty impatient during this time and I had to wait until until February 12th when the queens got a cocoon and I got excited and I mean super excited it started getting REALLY hard to not check up on these queens, and then disaster struck. One of the queens ate the cocoons. I was super annoyed and pretty much gave up on them and for one and a half months I didn't even peek in on them and when I did I basically squealed in delight as I was overjoyed to find out that a single worker had enclosed. Which brings us to today where I have worker and brood boosted them and now they have around one hundred workers. I really am excited about this colony and I hope all of you enjoy this journal!

(For all of the Europeans that may read this journal Lasius brevicornis is the North American equivalent of Lasius flavus)

Pictures:

September 15th 2021:

ueJTZ9A_d.webp?maxwidth=760&fidelity=gra

December 12th 2021:

URPVaxi_d.webp?maxwidth=760&fidelity=gra

April 16th 2022:

2a41oAo_d.webp?maxwidth=760&fidelity=gra

April 24th 2022(The condensation made this photo really bad):

FUGF8YN_d.webp?maxwidth=760&fidelity=gra

Edited by ColAnt735, April 25 2022 - 6:49 AM.

• T.C., azzaaazzzz00, AntBoi3030 and 4 others like this

"If an ant carries an object a hundred times it's weight,you can carry burdens many times your size.

#2 Offline United-Ants - Posted April 24 2022 - 7:22 PM

United-Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts
  • LocationUtah United States
Looking forwerd to seeing this colony grow
  • ColAnt735 likes this

#3 Offline ColAnt735 - Posted April 25 2022 - 6:03 AM

ColAnt735

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • LocationOntario,Canada

Looking forwerd to seeing this colony grow

Thanks!

• bmb1bee likes this

"If an ant carries an object a hundred times it's weight,you can carry burdens many times your size.

#4 Offline T.C. - Posted April 25 2022 - 6:29 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

Have you ever founded queens of this species together? I tried to do it it with Lasius flavus and it did not end well.

“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#5 Offline ColAnt735 - Posted April 25 2022 - 6:31 AM

ColAnt735

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • LocationOntario,Canada

Have you ever founded queens of this species together? I tried to do it it with Lasius flavus and it did not end well.

I founded all of these queens together and they got six nanitics. Then I brood and worker boosted them with workers and brood from a wild colony.

• T.C., azzaaazzzz00, bmb1bee and 1 other like this

#6 Offline T.C. - Posted April 25 2022 - 6:55 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

I founded all of these queens together and they got six nanitics. Then I brood and worker boosted them with workers and brood from a wild colony.

Good luck, following.

• ColAnt735 likes this
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#7 Offline AntBoi3030 - Posted April 25 2022 - 7:08 AM

AntBoi3030

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Yay! thanks for making this its own journal. I actually have a 3-queen colony.

• ColAnt735 likes this

My favorite queens/colony’s:
Pheidole Tysoni, Selonopis Molesta, Brachymyrmex Depilis, Tetramorium Immagrians, Prenolepis Imparis, Pheidole Bicirinata 

#8 Offline ColAnt735 - Posted April 25 2022 - 7:23 AM

ColAnt735

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • LocationOntario,Canada

I guess that means you have three times the egg production of a single queen .If this is the case then I have twelve times a single queens potential egg production. (this was such a great idea)

Edited by ColAnt735, April 25 2022 - 7:35 AM.

• bmb1bee likes this

#9 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 25 2022 - 7:43 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

I guess that means you have three times the egg production of a single queen .If this is the case then I have twelve times a single queens potential egg production. (this was such a great idea)

Number of queens actually isn't the ultimate determining factor on egg production. The two main factors are amount of food and heating. If you wanted to limit their growth, don't feed them a ton (don't starve them either) and don't heat them. If you feed them the exact same as a 1-queen colony, they wouldn't grow a lot faster (except during the founding stages, which is the only time in a colony's life where having multiple queens is the main factor for faster colony growth).

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#10 Offline ColAnt735 - Posted April 25 2022 - 7:47 AM

ColAnt735

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • LocationOntario,Canada

Sorry I phrased that wrong what I meant was potential egg production.

Edited by ColAnt735, April 25 2022 - 7:48 AM.

• bmb1bee likes this

#11 Offline ColAnt735 - Posted April 25 2022 - 6:13 PM

ColAnt735

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • LocationOntario,Canada

This colony seems to enjoy all sugars and ate a little bit of Darkling Beetle.

Pictures:

One of the two areas where the queens normally hang out:

qWTiEsU_d.webp?maxwidth=760&fidelity=gra

A portion of the boosted brood. I've noticed these larvae move quite a bit:

24TX9wT_d.webp?maxwidth=760&fidelity=gra

A worker cleaning a queen's gaster:

GqE5iUZ_d.webp?maxwidth=760&fidelity=gra

Edited by ColAnt735, April 25 2022 - 6:13 PM.

• T.C., azzaaazzzz00, AntBoi3030 and 4 others like this

#12 Offline Polyacanthus - Posted April 26 2022 - 6:36 AM

Polyacanthus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • LocationMichigan, USA
I caught some queens last fall. I didn't know they were polygenous. Oops! They all have eggs separately though.
  • ColAnt735 likes this

#13 Offline ColAnt735 - Posted May 10 2022 - 8:40 PM

ColAnt735

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • LocationOntario,Canada

I have been busy these past three weeks studying for EQAO( For every non Canadian out there EQAO basically ranks schools across Ontario and is a MASSIVE exam that ranks every public school with a score in order to help parents pick schools for their children and it occurs in Grade three, Grade six, Grade nine, and Grade ten). Sorry for the delay of this update.

Update 10/5/22

This colony has grown quite a bit with around one hundred fifty workers. Many of the introduced workers passed away most likely due to stress I have replaced them because of the large amount of larvae I would rather not have their deaths on my hands. I replaced the deceased workers with around 50-100 worker ants and they have been flourishing ever since. Sadly two of the twelve queens passed away and had their bodies eaten but on a lighter note the queens laid a few eggs overnight, only around two hundred, like I said a few. The queens that passed away were by far the least cared for queens in the entire colony with only two to three workers at most tending to them while other queens had at least twenty ants tending to them at all times. They seem to love Crickets, Mealworms, and all sugary liquids I've given them. I believe that this colony will reach around a thousand workers at the end of the year and I can't wait for it to happen. These ants are beautiful and are quite timid being not nearly as aggressive as all of my colonies except for maybe my Temnothorax curvispinosus. I have big plans for this colony that I hope will happen this year. Fingers crossed these ants will be problem free! It was after saying this that ColAnt735 realized that he had just dug his own grave and would most likely face major problems with this colony in the future.

EDIT: most of these photos were taken before the second worker boost.

Here are some photos of the colony:

A queen prior to the second worker boost and eggs:

x5bqIQP_d.webp?maxwidth=760&fidelity=gra

A few workers and larvae:

jOUqYRb_d.webp?maxwidth=760&fidelity=gra

Eggs:

knl1MW3_d.webp?maxwidth=760&fidelity=gra

One of the queens that passed being eaten:

CJnTQkk_d.webp?maxwidth=760&fidelity=gra

A queen laying an egg:

KNrqvl7_d.webp?maxwidth=760&fidelity=gra

One of the root aphids this colony tends to:

https://imgur.com/lWNgCgn

A few of the queens:

uyb0lEk_d.webp?maxwidth=760&fidelity=gra

A Queen's Ocelli:

yUZLYzw_d.webp?maxwidth=760&fidelity=gra

I love the different colourations of the queens:

JqPyy98_d.webp?maxwidth=760&fidelity=gra

Edited by ColAnt735, May 11 2022 - 4:34 AM.

• T.C., azzaaazzzz00, m99 and 2 others like this

#14 Offline lazyant - Posted May 10 2022 - 9:19 PM

lazyant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • LocationBrentwood, CA

Just read the whole thing, now am invested will follow!

• ColAnt735 likes this

"Loneliness and cheeseburgers are a dangerous mix." -Comic book guy 

#15 Offline Leptomyrmx - Posted May 10 2022 - 10:04 PM

Leptomyrmx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

I have been busy these past three weeks studying for EQAO( For every non Canadian out there EQAO basically ranks schools across Ontario and is a MASSIVE exam that ranks every public school with a score in order to help parents pick schools for their children and it occurs in Grade three, Grade six, Grade nine, and Grade ten). Sorry for the delay of this update.

Update 10/5/22

This colony has grown quite a bit with around one hundred fifty workers. Many of the introduced workers passed away most likely due to stress I have replaced them because of the large amount of larvae I would rather not have their deaths on my hands. I replaced the deceased workers with around 50-100 worker ants and they have been flourishing ever since. Sadly two of the twelve queens passed away and had their bodies eaten but on a lighter note the queens laid a few eggs overnight, only around two hundred like I said a few. The queens that passed away were by far the least cared for queens in the entire colony with only two to three workers at most tending to them while other queens had at least twenty ants tending to them at all times. They seem to love Crickets, Mealworms, and all sugary liquids I've given them. I believe that this colony will reach around a thousand workers at the end of the year and I can't wait for it to happen. These ants are beautiful and are quite timid being not nearly as aggressive as all of my colonies except for maybe my Temnothorax curvispinosus. I have big plans for this colony that I hope will happen this year. Fingers crossed these ants will be problem free! It was after saying this that ColAnt735 realized that he had just dug his own grave and would most likely face major problems with this colony in the future.

Here are some photos of the colony:

A queen prior to the second worker boost and eggs:

A few workers and larvae:

Eggs:

One of the queens that passed being eaten:

A queen laying an egg:

One of the root aphids this colony tends to:

https://imgur.com/lWNgCgn

A few of the queens:

A Queen's Ocelli:

I love the different colourations of the queens:

Nice photos. Do you have a shot of the whole nest?

I had something that seems like an Australian equivalent of EQAO today. Didn't study :P I was fine though.

Edited by Leptomyrmx, May 12 2022 - 10:10 PM.

• ColAnt735 likes this

My Ants:

Colonies: Camponotus humilior 1w, Opisthopsis rufithorax 11w, Aphaenogaster longiceps ~5w, Pheidole sp. ~235w ~15m, Iridomyrmex sp. 2q 1w, Brachyponera lutea 6w, Crematogaster sp. ~20w, Podomyrma sp. 1w

Queens: Polyrhachis cf. robinsoni, Polyrhachis (Campomyrma) sp. (likely infertile)

Previously Kept: Colobopsis gasseri, Technomyrmex sp., Rhytidoponera victorae, Nylanderia cf. rosae, Myrmecia brevinoda/forficata, Polyrhachis australis, Solenopsis/Monomorium

Key: Q = Queen, W = Worker, M = Major

Youtube Channel: Ants of Sydney - YouTube

Patreon (for YouTube channel): https://www.patreon.com/antsofsydney

#16 Offline Antlover09 - Posted May 11 2022 - 6:51 AM

Antlover09

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Lovely queens and beautiful. I hope you will have a colony.

• ColAnt735 likes this

#17 Offline ant_ - Posted June 1 2022 - 5:35 PM

ant_

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

I just caught three of these queens and was wondering about the aphids you put in their nest. Is it necessary to add them or did you do it because it would make them feel like they were in the wild farming aphids. If you say yes I think it would be very cool to have aphids in the nest just like in the wild. 

#18 Offline ColAnt735 - Posted June 1 2022 - 5:39 PM

ColAnt735

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • LocationOntario,Canada

I just caught three of these queens and was wondering about the aphids you put in their nest. Is it necessary to add them or did you do it because it would make them feel like they were in the wild farming aphids. If you say yes I think it would be very cool to have aphids in the nest just like in the wild. 

It is not required to put aphids in the nest. I collected around fifty of them just because I thought it would be cool to see if the ants could raise them.

• azzaaazzzz00, bmb1bee and lazyant like this

#19 Offline Dumpling - Posted June 2 2022 - 8:06 AM

Dumpling

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • LocationPasadena, California

It is not required to put aphids in the nest. I collected around fifty of them just because I thought it would be cool to see if the ants could raise them.

Did you give them a plant as well?

My PFP is an ant. Yes. An Ant. I promise.

My all in one journal: https://www.formicul...-april-22-2022/

#20 Offline ColAnt735 - Posted June 2 2022 - 8:51 AM

ColAnt735

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • LocationOntario,Canada

Did you give them a plant as well?

Yes a piece of grass with roots.

• azzaaazzzz00, bmb1bee and lazyant like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lasius brevicornis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users