• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Stateside Ants Megathread

statesideants stateside ants stateside

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#21 Offline Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_* - Posted May 8 2022 - 8:07 AM

Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_*
  • Guests
Would love to see some sort of Psedumyrmex or Odonotmachus, but might be harder based on location. Where are you based?

#22 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 8 2022 - 9:20 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Those are halfway hard to find in Wisconsin.
  • TennesseeAnts likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#23 Offline Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_* - Posted May 8 2022 - 10:36 AM

Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_*
  • Guests
Are they even in Wisconsin? I didn’t know where they were based.

Otherwise, maybe tetromorium?

How are they getting S. Xyloni in Wisconsin? Through partners??

#24 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted May 8 2022 - 11:09 AM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationA random state in the US

Yeah tetras are invasive so it would be relatively hard to get a permit for tetras.

1X Pogonomyrmex occidentalis 40-50 Workers

1X Solenopsis molesta 10 Workers (mono)

Ants I Want: Crematogaster sp, Camponotus Sp., Ponera Pennsylvanica, Mymercocystus sp.

My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube....kUjx-dPFMyVqOLw

Join Our Fledgling Discord Server https://discord.com/...089056687423489

#25 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted May 8 2022 - 11:12 AM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

My L. brevicornis arrived with 2 workers alive and 3 dead, overnight the last two died I partially blame myself for those two they enclosed one worker correctly  who decided to die after 2 days and the rest of the pupae they failed to eclose. Id give them a 7/10. Hopefully if I buy S. xyloni when they are in stock they arrive in better condition.

Ants I Want: Crematogaster sp, Camponotus Sp., Ponera Pennsylvanica, Mymercocystus sp.

#26 Offline Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_* - Posted May 8 2022 - 12:49 PM

Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_*
  • Guests

Yeah tetras are invasive so it would be relatively hard to get a permit for tetras.
Thought they didn’t causes environmental damage, although I am probably wrong. How will they guarantee their S. Xyloni is actually S. Xyloni is my question. Not many differences between invicta, and they are microscopic for a 100% confirmation. This means you will have to put the workers under a microscope for every colony you send out. For queens you send out, it’s going to be an even bigger pain

#27 Offline NicholasP - Posted May 8 2022 - 9:13 PM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts
  • LocationGrand Rapids, Michigan

Thought they didn’t causes environmental damage, although I am probably wrong. How will they guarantee their S. Xyloni is actually S. Xyloni is my question. Not many differences between invicta, and they are microscopic for a 100% confirmation. This means you will have to put the workers under a microscope for every colony you send out. For queens you send out, it’s going to be an even bigger pain

I'm not exactly sure what you're saying here but it's fairly easy to ID xyloni from invicta without a microscope. Xyloni are not invasive in a single part of the world. And for Tetramorium they are highly invasive, and I have seen the dangers they pose to the environment. Today I was in my backyard several immigrans colonies warming up and I saw one of the chasing away a Formica worker and some Lasius workers. So, they do damage to the environment. And by the way this is just one of several examples I've seen T. immigrans doing bad things.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#28 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 9 2022 - 2:12 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I’m fairly certain that Cheeto is probably collecting the xyloni in partnership with Stateside, most likely from areas in AZ that do not have invicta. Also, there is no way Anthony is going to misidentify a species for sale with all the expertise he has.
  • AnthonyP163, TennesseeAnts, CheetoLord02 and 1 other like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#29 Offline AnthonyP163 - Posted May 9 2022 - 3:35 AM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
  • LocationWaukesha, Wisconsin.

I’m fairly certain that Cheeto is probably collecting the xyloni in partnership with Stateside, most likely from areas in AZ that do not have invicta. Also, there is no way Anthony is going to misidentify a species for sale with all the expertise he has.

Thanks, Antdrew. Spot on.

Anything sold on the site is confirmed. If I cannot be 100% certain of the species ID, I won't sell it. 

Would love to see some sort of Psedumyrmex or Odonotmachus, but might be harder based on location. Where are you based?

Eventually  :)

Edited by AnthonyP163, May 9 2022 - 3:36 AM.

• CheetoLord02 and Antkeeper01 like this

Ant Keeping & Ethology Discord - 2000+ Members and growing

Statesideants.com - order live ants legally in the US

#30 Offline United-Ants - Posted May 9 2022 - 7:28 AM

United-Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts
  • LocationUtah United States

Anything sold on the site is confirmed. If I cannot be 100% certain of the species ID, I won't sell it. 

would like to see Atta texana Trachymyrmex septentrionalis Trachymyrmex Trachymyrmex arizonensis Camponotus castaneus and Formica pallidefulva available for the continental us

#31 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted May 9 2022 - 10:02 AM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

would like to see Atta texana Trachymyrmex septentrionalis Trachymyrmex Trachymyrmex arizonensis Camponotus castaneus and Formica pallidefulva available for the continental us

Slow down there Leaf cutters are hard to get permits for just for personal use if they arent native to your state, but selling to all states is nearly impossible. AntsEmporium somehow managed to jump through all the hoops to get the ants. I've had an application for Acromyrmex Versicolor sitting on pending for 2 months and its just for personal use(they aren't native to my state. I'm just saying be patient.

• NicholasP and United-Ants like this

#32 Offline aznphenom - Posted May 9 2022 - 10:39 AM

aznphenom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Slow down there Leaf cutters are hard to get permits for just for personal use if they arent native to your state, but selling to all states is nearly impossible. AntsEmporium somehow managed to jump through all the hoops to get the ants. I've had an application for Acromyrmex Versicolor sitting on pending for 2 months and its just for personal use(they aren't native to my state. I'm just saying be patient.

Mine took 9 months

• Antkeeper01 and United-Ants like this
Keeps: Camponotus, Tetra

Wants (Please reach out if you have them for sale if you’re in the US): Acromyrmex Sp., Atta Sp., Cephalotes Sp., Myrmecocystus Sp (Prefer Mexicanus), Odontomachus Sp. (Prefer Desertorum), Pachycondyla Sp., Pheidole Sp (Prefer Rhea. The bigger the better. Not the tiny bicarinata), Pogonomyrmex Sp (Prefer Badius)., Pseudomyrmex Sp. (Prefer the cute yellow ones)

#33 Offline United-Ants - Posted May 9 2022 - 11:12 AM

United-Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

wow i did not no that permits for leafcutters where so hard to get  and took so long

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#34 Offline AntsDakota - Posted May 9 2022 - 11:17 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

wow i did not no that permits for leafcutters where so hard to get  and took so long

Well they're one of the few commonly kept species that are blatantly obviously plant pests (for literally destroying plants for food, hence 'leaf cutter'), so the USDA is always wary of them.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#35 Offline aznphenom - Posted May 9 2022 - 11:19 AM

aznphenom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationMaryland

"Hard" is subjective. Because that all comes down to your state. there's State and Federal Level. Long? absolutely, its the same for any non native species to your state. It will have to go through more steps, like the Containment Facility step, which is by far the longest step. Native species permits can take up to 80 days according to the APHIS site.

I am lucky to have some pretty cool permits but sourcing them is a whole different thing. No seller, rare, or a lot of $$$.

Edited by aznphenom, May 9 2022 - 11:21 AM.

• United-Ants likes this
Keeps: Camponotus, Tetra

Wants (Please reach out if you have them for sale if you’re in the US): Acromyrmex Sp., Atta Sp., Cephalotes Sp., Myrmecocystus Sp (Prefer Mexicanus), Odontomachus Sp. (Prefer Desertorum), Pachycondyla Sp., Pheidole Sp (Prefer Rhea. The bigger the better. Not the tiny bicarinata), Pogonomyrmex Sp (Prefer Badius)., Pseudomyrmex Sp. (Prefer the cute yellow ones)

#36 Offline United-Ants - Posted May 9 2022 - 11:24 AM

United-Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Well they're one of the few commonly kept species that are blatantly obviously plant pests (for literally destroying plants for food, hence 'leaf cutter'), so the USDA is always wary of them.

well that makes since  because they destroy food 

Edited by United-Ants, May 9 2022 - 11:25 AM.

#37 Offline AnthonyP163 - Posted May 22 2022 - 1:45 PM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Tapinoma sessile is now on the site! Formica montana and Lasius brevicornis also have more options in stock.

• CheetoLord02, Antkeeper01 and FloridaAnts like this

#38 Offline OiledOlives - Posted May 24 2022 - 3:56 PM

OiledOlives

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Formisquarium bundles and more species now available, including Formica montana

I'd like to know what the people of formiculture want to see most in an ant store. Let me know!

Smaller worker ranges. 
Using Pheidole bicarinata as an example, 1-25, 26-100, and 100-500 are all massive jumps in colony sizes. There's a 2-4 generation difference between these options, which is absolutely insane. 

Edited by OiledOlives, May 24 2022 - 3:56 PM.

• AnthonyP163 and Antkeeper01 like this

#39 Offline AnthonyP163 - Posted June 15 2022 - 9:02 AM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Camponotus subbarbatus and Aphaenogaster tennesseensis are new and now available. Formica incerta, subsericea, and montana back in stock. 

Lots of new stuff coming to the shop soon, keep an eye out.

• United-Ants likes this

#40 Offline AnthonyP163 - Posted June 30 2022 - 4:11 PM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Camponotus pennsylvanicus and Camponotus novaeboracensis are back in stock! 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: statesideants, stateside ants, stateside

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users