• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Byformica Grotube XL (Version 2.1) review

byformica grotube xl 2.1 review formicarium

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Ants4fun - Posted July 11 2015 - 8:30 PM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota
Rating: 9/10 The Grotube the sleek new face in formicarium. It has all the features. From hydration to circulation it has it all. Perfect for queens and small colonies, it's a great start to a promising line of formicariums. 

DSC_3025_zpssfbxa9wh.jpg

Price  At just $35 for the nest itself, it is a very affordable formicarium. For larger ant sp. I estimate that it can hold around 30-50 ants. for smaller sp. it can hold hundreds. For it's price, you're getting the most bang for your buck.  http://www.amazon.co...ding=UTF8&psc=1

DSC_3024_zpsdej9rezm.jpg

Features When I first opened my grotube, the first thing I thought was, "Wow, it's tiny." Yes, yes it is tiny. However tiny is a good thing. at 4.5 X 3 inches, it is basically a test tube replacement.

The first thing I notice is the clear gel stuff. These hold water that will supposedly hold it a good while and protect against over watering, however don't think you can't over water it. Because you can. And it stinks. I had to evacuate the whole colony and suck up the water. Whoops... Other than freak accidents such as that, it is recommended that you only put about 1-2 milliliters of water at a time. Other than that, the water distributes well with the plaster that doesn't mold. 
Another feature is circulation. It has tiny air holes that go right to the outside of the formicarium, allowing you to completely shut the formicarium, and not worry about air. 

DSC_3023_zps7ig3qjeb.jpg

Next you have visibility. This formicarium was designed for maximum visibility, and that's what you got. The nest is made for viewing with crystal clear acrylic and the fact that's it's horizontal. 

camera%20pics%20127_zpscktklatk.jpg

Now we come to aesthetics. This formicarium is one of the nicer ones regarding how it looks. it is very symmetrical and clean looking, with a variety of color's to suit your choice.  You can put it on a coffee table, and not worry about it being an eyesore. 

camera%20pics%20132_zpsv8wg7bab.jpg
The part that this formicarium is sort of odd, for me, is the connection ports. They work great if you want to spend an extra $40 minimum on the smallest out world, but other than that, it is hard to use that small side. Herdo on formiculture said that 3/16 tubing fit's inside it, but if you have really large ants, I just feel that's it's a waist. It would be fine it there is a stopper for it, but for now I just have to watch my ants slowly chew through the cotton...

• dspdrew, drtrmiller and Herdo like this

#2 Offline Herdo - Posted July 11 2015 - 10:11 PM

Herdo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationGlendale, Arizona

I do not have a colony to test mine out with yet, but I agree with pretty much everything you've said.  My initial shock at how tiny it is quickly went away once I started to realize how well designed it is.  And yeah, the small 5mm hole is a bit odd.  3/16" = 4.7625mm and the 3/16" OD tubing I've purchased from Amazon fits nice and snug.

Here is a link to the tubing I've purchased for anyone who wants some:

http://www.amazon.co...ailpage_o03_s00

It's 60 cents a foot.  Just add more to the quantity and they will send you that many feet. It's 3/16" OD and 1/8" ID.

Also, Terry has said in the future he was thinking about enlarging the smaller hole to something bigger and more standard like 1/4".

Great review Ants4fun and great product byformica!

Edited by Herdo, July 12 2015 - 2:21 AM.

• Ants4fun and BugFinder like this

#3 Offline Ants4fun - Posted July 12 2015 - 5:55 AM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota
Thanks for the info, and I'm glad you appreciated the review!

#4 Offline dspdrew - Posted July 12 2015 - 6:13 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Nice pictures and nice review.

• Ants4fun likes this

#5 Offline Ants4fun - Posted July 12 2015 - 6:24 AM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota
Thanks!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: byformica, grotube, xl, 2.1, review, formicarium

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users