• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

What ant keepers are looking for

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AntsAnonymous - Posted July 10 2015 - 10:14 PM

AntsAnonymous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationSpring, Texas (Houston Area)

Hello fellow anters, I'm currently designing a 3D printed formicarium and want to simplify my design a little. 

The current design is striving for modularity and simplicity. It is a vertical style formicarium with a removable viewing surface for ease of cleaning. A hydration method is still in the works, for now I am using a water and cotton test tube connected to the formicarium. Along with hydration, multiple sizes of chambers and connecting tunnels are being worked on, to accommodate the large variety of ants we care for.   I plan on having a similar horizontal style(like AC and BF), and can switch gears if that is the preferred design. I am eager to hear what features are needed now and what features would just be nice to have.

The size of the current nest is approx. 6" x 6" x 1".

I3HVAwwm.jpg

• AntTeen804 and Herdo like this

#2 Offline Crystals - Posted July 11 2015 - 6:00 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

Looks interesting.

Can you show some closeups of the hydration system?

I have built a few of my own acrylic nests out of curiosity and found hydration to be a main issue.  I ended up putting hydration sections in 3 corners.

My other main problem is that in my location we have to heat our nests, which leads to condensation.  Are there any design features that allow for water drainage or absorption?

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#3 Offline BugFinder - Posted July 11 2015 - 8:59 AM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

Very nice.  How does the outworld connect to it?

“If an ant carries an object a hundred times its weight, you can carry burdens many times your size.”  ― Matshona Dhliwayo

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

Pogonomyrmex Californicus

My Ant Goals!

#4 Offline Ants4fun - Posted July 11 2015 - 9:20 AM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota
I believe from the two holes at the top. This looks very space efficient, but unfortunately not too many people have large colonies that could full thus formicarium... Maybe you could work on a smaller version as well.
  • Jonathan21700 likes this

#5 Offline AntsAnonymous - Posted July 11 2015 - 9:46 AM

AntsAnonymous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

I'm attempting to design a hydration system, with my current options being reservoirs with micro vents or external hydration. I have already begun work on a 3" x 3" design and even a few founding nests. The large nest has 4 connection points for 3/8 tubing, the medium will have 2, and the small will have a single connection point. I am also in the process of designing a method for the nests to connect to each other without the need for tubing or a reduced use of tubing (1 inch sections necessary for small species at the moment). Thank you all for your input!

#6 Offline LC3 - Posted July 11 2015 - 10:03 AM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

3D printers. nuff said.

#7 Offline AntsAnonymous - Posted July 11 2015 - 12:35 PM

AntsAnonymous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

3D printers. nuff said.

Is that good or bad?

#8 Offline dspdrew - Posted July 11 2015 - 12:46 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I think 3D printers are great.

#9 Offline LC3 - Posted July 11 2015 - 3:56 PM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

3D printers. nuff said.

Is that good or bad?

Good. They're amazing! Imagine if we can 3D print ants!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users