• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Huch's formicarium development thread.

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#41 Offline Huch - Posted July 25 2015 - 9:20 PM

Huch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

That universal connection is a great idea IMO. You mentioned it accomodates 0.5" OD tubing. What size test tube is it designed for?

It is designed for 18mm test tubes. I could change it to fit any size diameter. 18mm seems to be the sweet spot tho. I am thinking I can make it fit from 16mm-20mm test tubes along with the vinyl tubing. I have an idea how to do it, but depending on how thin and brittle the plastic walls are will determine how much time I have ot put into it. The limitation of this piece is that the opening of the test tube cannot be flared or have a drip edge.

Thanks Larynx. Until I actuallys see a patent listed and get a letter, I will not worry too much. What is funny is that the formicarium patents in the United States is lacking. There are lots of insect habitat patents, but about 8-10 specifically for ants, and only 2 of which I have seen sold anywhere: The Gel formicarium and Uncle Milton's.

If a person wanted to be a patent troll and had the money, they could pretty much break formicarium sales in the US. But, patent trolling is patented by Haliburton and IBM I found out.

Edited by Huch, July 25 2015 - 9:29 PM.

#42 Offline Foogoo - Posted July 26 2015 - 7:01 AM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

But, patent trolling is patented by Haliburton and IBM I found out.

That's just... wow...

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#43 Offline Huch - Posted July 31 2015 - 6:29 PM

Huch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

The good:

The screws and inserts look better and make a tighter fit.

The bad:

About 25% of the inserts become loose because they are so difficult to angle, that the screws do not screw correctly into them, thus jarring them loose. It can be put togethor with ease, but taking it apart is a little difficult when the insert just turns with the screw. I had to pull on  the piece while using a electric screw driver turning in reverse. I just glued the insert back in.

The future: I want to make ramps in the chamber leading to the holes. Also, I have to design a connection for the vinyl tubing to connect to the outworld. I will put this in the market place.

Ok, I just ordered 15, 16, 17, 20 MM test tubes.  (I already have 18mm)

I will try to make the connector accomodate all of those sizes. I am guessing ETA 2 weeks.

Edited by Huch, July 31 2015 - 8:00 PM.

#44 Offline Foogoo - Posted August 8 2015 - 3:07 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

I just received the nest (serial number #0001!). First off, great communication, quick shipping. I'm not able to test it yet since the Pogonomyrmex I want to try it on are in an incompatible tube, but I'm currently trying to move them to an 18mm test tube. Here are my initial thoughts:

• Simple. Few moving parts, which translates to easy to clean and affordable. I like how the glass is held on with slots instead of screws, makes it cleaner to look at and easier to maintain.
  • Modular.
  • The main reason I love this design is it's 100% test tube compatible, no need to move colonies. Hydration is easily controlled with extra test tubes. Little to no stress to the colonies to put it to use. The plugs make changing or cleaning test tubes simple. 
  • Plugs stay put. It might be an artifact of the 3D printing, but the ridges on the plugs ensure they won't fall out yet takes very little force to remove.

A few improvements or additions I'm dreaming of just playing with it:

• Ventilation. A few small holes on opposite ends could be helpful. Either printed or easily done with a small drill bit.
  • Removing top glass. If the top glass was unrestrained on one side, the user could slide it out and remove it to clean or feed without having to disassemble it.
  • Similar to above, if not the top, having one of the sides or other large access for feeding.
  • Accommodate different tube sizes. Maybe have the connector be tapered. Or have the ID of the port 15mm, OD 18mm, and the concentric outer ring OD 20mm to accept the common sizes.
  • The test tube rack could be a smidge tighter so the tubes won't slide out when bumped.
  • What about integrating a shrould into the test tube holder? So the colony would have a darkened area near where the cotton typically sits?

I'm excited to see subsequent designs!

• Huch likes this

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#45 Offline Huch - Posted August 8 2015 - 3:13 PM

Huch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
Thanks for the review Foogoo, I am going to work on the ideas you wrote.
  • Foogoo likes this

#46 Offline Pulliamj - Posted August 8 2015 - 6:35 PM

Pulliamj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
I like this concept. Keep up the work. I will get some of these from you at some point. I like being able to change out the test tubes. Water and food in several would be nice. I would like to be able to buy the test tubes that fit with the set up with maybe one test tube spare. Please continue to post your progress.
  • Huch likes this

#47 Offline William. T - Posted August 9 2015 - 10:55 AM

William. T

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • LocationWestern Maryland

This is innovative. Like the progress.

• LC3 likes this

Species I keep:

1 Lasius cf. Neoniger 30 workers

1 Camponotus sp. 15 workers

20 Tetramorium SpE 30 workers

1 T. Sessile 200 workers

#48 Offline Huch - Posted August 11 2015 - 4:32 PM

Huch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

An update and a request for an opinion on a box type formicarium.

Update: I made a tight fitting test tube rack, but it lost the ability to switch out test tubes easily. The sizes of the tubes are inconsistent and some get quite stuck. I may try further tweaking at some point. Also, the test tubes arrived sizes 15 to 20.I will make the universal connector tonight I think, and then I will upload it to thingiverse so anyone can use it or modify it.

Request opinion: A cube shaped formicarium should have tunnels on every side, 3 sides, 2, or 1? 4 sides sounds ideal, but, at most, only 2 sides can be observed at one time. I am thinking 3 sides would be good. Or is a cylinder preferable to a square or rectangle?

Thanks,

Huch

Edited by Huch, August 11 2015 - 5:25 PM.

#49 Offline Foogoo - Posted August 11 2015 - 5:14 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

Why not have all options available? For me where space is limited, I'd prefer openings on only one or two sides. But for someone with space, it would be awesome to have a large colony with tubes on all sides. Same with the cylinder vs. rectangle, I think some people might prefer the look of one over the other. If you design both types, people will have options.

#50 Offline Huch - Posted August 11 2015 - 5:30 PM

Huch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Ahh good point.

Here is what the universal connector will resemble. I am still testing and have to doll it up.

Universal%20connector.png

Edited by Huch, August 11 2015 - 6:29 PM.

• LC3 likes this

#51 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 11 2015 - 8:38 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Or is a cylinder preferable to a square or rectangle?

Absolutely not!

• LC3 likes this

#52 Offline Foogoo - Posted August 11 2015 - 8:40 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

Ahh good point.

Here is what the universal connector will resemble. I am still testing and have to doll it up.

That's awesome, exactly what I had in mind.

I think there definitely needs to be a way to clean the nest/outworld, ideally if the top glass could be easily removed somehow (in my head I'm thinking sliding it out would be the easiest design to incorporate). I put a bunch of fruit flies via the port in last night and my Pogonomyrmex didn't touch them. Only way I can think of cleaning them up without disturbing the colony now is to vacuum it out, which is a bit of a hassle.

#53 Offline drtrmiller - Posted August 11 2015 - 8:40 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Or is a cylinder preferable to a square or rectangle?

Absolutely not!

Haha! Busted by blockhead!
  • dspdrew, dermy, Gregory2455 and 2 others like this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#54 Offline Subverted - Posted August 11 2015 - 9:34 PM

Subverted

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Update: I made a tight fitting test tube rack, but it lost the ability to switch out test tubes easily. The sizes of the tubes are inconsistent and some get quite stuck. I may try further tweaking at some point.

I'm not super familiar with the limitations of 3d printing...but why not print "tabs" that flex slightly to hold tubes securely instead of using the guide rings to do it? That seems like the most obvious solution...

My ants | My free feeder design | PM or email me if you need and 3d printing, cnc machining, or manufacturing done: http://www.lrmachining.com

Make your own mold/fungus/bacteria resistant test tube water! Don't get ripped off! Read my simple guide: http://www.formicult...-simple-how-to/

"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." - Isaac Asimov

#55 Offline Huch - Posted August 13 2015 - 6:19 PM

Huch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Update: I made a tight fitting test tube rack, but it lost the ability to switch out test tubes easily. The sizes of the tubes are inconsistent and some get quite stuck. I may try further tweaking at some point.

I'm not super familiar with the limitations of 3d printing...but why not print "tabs" that flex slightly to hold tubes securely instead of using the guide rings to do it? That seems like the most obvious solution...

Good idea. I will give attempt it. I think the material may be too brittle at room temperature.

Here is my first attempt, and it was a partial failure.

1439518128950-1959813582.jpg

I completely mismeasured or forgot the 15mm tube size. Also, the tubes do not fit nearly as snugly as I expected them. They are all either loose, or are too tight and break the test tube. I do not think I can make the tubes fit snuggly unless I buy some rubber O rings and redesign. Another solution might be to make the peice much longer and or put the peice at an angle, so that the tubes do not slide off if nudged. I am out of ideas on that for now. I am printing a longer version right now.

Edited by Huch, August 13 2015 - 6:19 PM.

• Lamarr likes this

#56 Offline Pulliamj - Posted August 14 2015 - 8:06 AM

Pulliamj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
6B23CEBC-4106-4AB6-8730-6990E7A6B593.jpg

I would try using a set screw to hold the test tubes tightly in place. Sorry I'm not an artist. Think about a ceiling fan with the 3 set screws to hold the glass shrouds in place. It would allow you to accommodate all different sizes. I wish I could play around with a 3d printer.
  • Huch likes this

#57 Offline Huch - Posted August 17 2015 - 5:43 PM

Huch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

I see what you are saying. That is a very good idea. I can attempt a design on that in a couple of weeks I think. I have been too busy at work and home to do anything at all. I did pick up the O-rings while I was out and about. I think it has a good shot of working too. Maybe tonight I will work on it and print it tomorrow.

#58 Offline Foogoo - Posted August 24 2015 - 8:02 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

How about using nylon set screws to reduce the risk of breaking or scratching the tubes?

Also, what about adding a connector on the short side? That way the main tube can be connected there and space will be saved with multiple setups. It can then be expanded to the other ports as needed.

I'll also reiterate that there definitely needs to be some type of access, ideally making the top easily removable. I gave them some food on foil through the port but there's absolutely no way to remove it now since they drag the foil around. That said, this is still one of my favorite setups, 100% viewable, compact, affordable, and zero moving stress for the colony! I can't wait to see subsequent versions.

#59 Offline Foogoo - Posted September 15 2015 - 8:43 AM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

Any update with your designs Huch? As I've already mentioned a billion times, I absolutely love this nest. With a few minor improvements, I can easily see it becoming my new favorite nest design.

#60 Offline Huch - Posted September 15 2015 - 5:11 PM

Huch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Any update with your designs Huch? As I've already mentioned a billion times, I absolutely love this nest. With a few minor improvements, I can easily see it becoming my new favorite nest design.

Thanks for the interest foogoo.

To answer your question, yes and no. I have ideas but have not had time to design and print. Instead of using the inserts with short screws, I am going to use 4 screws the length of the box, and print a frame for a hex nut to fit in each corner. My day job has got me working about 60 to 80 hours a week, plus family fun has kept me insanely busy.

I have been trying to find a good way to easy access the nest like you pointed out, and I may have a solution. One of the corners I will have it slotted all the way though so the glass can slide out. The screw will be wider than the slot to lock the glass slot in place and to keep ants from escaping. Unscrewing it and removing it would allow for the glass to slide out.

I haven't touched on the universal connector idea for about month. Unfortunately, I expect to have little to no free time to develop it further. I hope by the end of the year I can get back to design and development. What I have found is that even something simple takes time and many tries to get right.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users