• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Ants on drugs.

drugs experiments caffine cocaine research

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Offline futurebird - Posted July 18 2021 - 4:54 AM

futurebird

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 772 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

This all started because I ran out of red syrup. My lasius neoniger colony loves it and it makes their gasters red which is adorable (and also lets me know they are eating it) so I considered giving them some flat watermelon redbull instead. But then I remembered the caffeine. "doesn't that kill ants?" I thought. But I also remembered how I've seen pavement ants feasting on spilled cola in the hot summer sun. But just because wild ants eat something doesn't mean it's good for them. Maybe those ants all died.

That's how I ended up searching for the effects of caffeine on ants. I quickly found a study with a tantalizing abstract:

"Caffeine increased the ants’ linear speed, decreased their precision of reaction and their food consumption, did not affect their response to pheromones, nor their audacity, largely increased their conditioning ability and their memory"
Physiological and Ethological Effects of Caffeine, Theophylline, Cocaine and Atropine; Study Using the Ant Myrmica sabuleti (Hymenoptera, Formicidae) as A Biological Model.

y2vyWmm.png

I'm intrigued that there is a way to test an ant's "audacity"... I wonder which ants are the most audacious?

dZErvq4.png

It seems "audacity" is related to the number of ants hanging out on the water tower... which makes sense to me. It's a more bold thing to do.

OMG they also gave the ants cocaine!

I don't think I'll give my ants the red bull too many other things in it that might not be good and who knows what the long term impact will be... In humans caffeine can decrease fertility.  Since it seems to impact ants in a way similar to humans I think it's not worth it. 

Still I was not expecting for it to be so similar!

Edited by futurebird, July 18 2021 - 5:15 AM.

• Antkeeper01, Chickalo, ANTS_KL and 1 other like this

Starting this July I'm posting videos of my ants every week on youTube.

I like to make relaxing videos that capture the joy of watching ants.

If that sounds like your kind of thing... follow me >here<

#2 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted July 18 2021 - 5:17 AM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationA random state in the US

This all started because I ran out of red syrup. My lasius neoniger colony loves it and it makes their gasters red which is adorable (and also lets me know they are eating it) so I considered giving them some flat watermelon redbull instead. But then I remembered the caffeine. "doesn't that kill ants?" I thought. But I also remembered how I've seen pavement ants feasting on spilled cola in the hot summer sun. But just because wild ants eat something doesn't mean it's good for them. Maybe those ants all died.

That's how I ended up searching for the effects of caffeine on ants. I quickly found a study with a tantalizing abstract:

"Caffeine increased the ants’ linear speed, decreased their precision of reaction and their food consumption, did not affect their response to pheromones, nor their audacity, largely increased their conditioning ability and their memory"
Physiological and Ethological Effects of Caffeine, Theophylline, Cocaine and Atropine; Study Using the Ant Myrmica sabuleti (Hymenoptera, Formicidae) as A Biological Model.

y2vyWmm.png

I'm intrigued that there is a way to test an ant's "audacity"... I wonder which ants are the most audacious?

dZErvq4.png

It seems "audacity" is related to the number of ants hanging out on the water tower... which makes sense to me. It's a more bold thing to do.

OMG they also gave the ants cocaine!

I don't think I'll give my ants the red bull too many other things in it that might not be good and who knows what the long term impact will be... In humans caffeine can decrease fertility.  Since it seems to impact ants in a way similar to humans I think it's not worth it. 

Still I was not expecting for it to be so similar!

if you give them redbull they will get alates!

• Skwiggledork, Kaelwizard, ANTdrew and 6 others like this

1X Pogonomyrmex occidentalis 40-50 Workers

1X Solenopsis molesta 10 Workers (mono)

Ants I Want: Crematogaster sp, Camponotus Sp., Ponera Pennsylvanica, Mymercocystus sp.

My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube....kUjx-dPFMyVqOLw

Join Our Fledgling Discord Server https://discord.com/...089056687423489

#3 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 18 2021 - 6:23 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Honeybees get addicted to the caffeine in coffee flower nectar. They seek it out even over other more rewarding flowers.
  • TennesseeAnts, Antkeeper01, cap_backfire and 1 other like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#4 Offline Daniel - Posted July 18 2021 - 7:56 AM

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationFort Mohave, Arizona

Haha, nice.
  • Antkeeper01 likes this

#5 Offline Manitobant - Posted July 18 2021 - 8:33 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
Wasps often get drunk on fermented fruit and alcohol at parties, which makes them clumsily fly around and get super aggressive, stinging for no reason. I assume ants would have similar effects.
  • ANTdrew likes this

#6 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 18 2021 - 9:01 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Wasps often get drunk on fermented fruit and alcohol at parties, which makes them clumsily fly around and get super aggressive, stinging for no reason. I assume ants would have similar effects.

All fruit eating animals consume alcohol.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#7 Offline ConcordAntman - Posted July 18 2021 - 9:06 AM

ConcordAntman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Haha, nice.

D’uh of course, “Red Bull gives you wings!” :rolleyes:

• DaAnt likes this

#8 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 18 2021 - 9:31 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
That’s meme worthy.
  • ConcordAntman likes this

#9 Offline DaAnt - Posted July 18 2021 - 1:59 PM

DaAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

LOL

Edited by DaAnt, July 18 2021 - 1:59 PM.

#10 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted July 19 2021 - 7:58 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

I don’t consume alcohol.

Jokes aside, this is quite interesting. I wonder what would happen if they were given steroids.

Edited by Kaelwizard, July 19 2021 - 7:59 AM.

#11 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 19 2021 - 8:30 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

I don’t consume alcohol.

Jokes aside, this is quite interesting. I wonder what would happen if they were given steroids.
In fact you do. The naturally occurring yeasts in our stomachs produce several grams of alcohol every day.
  • Kaelwizard likes this

#12 Offline ConcordAntman - Posted July 19 2021 - 9:59 AM

ConcordAntman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

I don’t consume alcohol.

I can’t help it but would you really want a C. gigas with ‘Roid Rage?!? :scare2:

• Kaelwizard and Antkeeper01 like this

#13 Offline futurebird - Posted July 19 2021 - 10:10 AM

futurebird

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 772 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

I don’t consume alcohol.

I can’t help it but would you really want a C. gigas with ‘Roid Rage?!? :scare2:

a9xFZDB.png

Aw what's the big deal? She's just glad to see you!

(A US based pest control company was using this photo on their article about carpenter ants :rolleyes: That's like putting a bear in your racoon control ad. )

Edited by futurebird, July 19 2021 - 12:28 PM.

• ConcordAntman, Kaelwizard and Antkeeper01 like this

Starting this July I'm posting videos of my ants every week on youTube.

I like to make relaxing videos that capture the joy of watching ants.

If that sounds like your kind of thing... follow me >here<

#14 Offline strawnkayden1 - Posted July 19 2021 - 10:46 AM

strawnkayden1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • LocationNorthern California
I hope just the ants got the coke.
  • Kaelwizard and futurebird like this

#15 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted July 19 2021 - 3:15 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

I don’t consume alcohol.

In fact you do. The naturally occurring yeasts in our stomachs produce several grams of alcohol every day.
Oh wow I didn’t know that.
  • Antkeeper01 likes this

#16 Offline Idontexist - Posted January 17 2022 - 8:04 PM

Idontexist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

I don’t consume alcohol.

more soldiers are born

#17 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted January 18 2022 - 8:40 AM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

I don’t consume alcohol.

more soldiers are born

Please don't revive posts that have been dead for several months for no reason.

• OiledOlives, Chickalo and azzaaazzzz00 like this

Ants I Want: Crematogaster sp, Camponotus Sp., Ponera Pennsylvanica, Mymercocystus sp.

#18 Offline antsriondel - Posted January 18 2022 - 11:00 AM

antsriondel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 913 posts
  • LocationRiondel British Columbia Canada.

I don’t consume alcohol.

more soldiers are born

stop attacking people :ugone2far:

#19 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted January 18 2022 - 12:56 PM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

I don’t consume alcohol.

more soldiers are born

stop attacking people :ugone2far:

It clogs up the forum and they did it for basically no reason, and I could have said "I hate people like you who clog up the forum and by doing this you are helping degrade the quality of this website. (To be fair by doing this I am to) but I am not attacking people.

#20 Offline PaigeX - Posted January 18 2022 - 2:29 PM

PaigeX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • LocationGympie, QLD, Australia

Settle you two. For now on lets just ignore anyone that restarts an old post. We will all be calmer and happier for it.

• Kaelwizard likes this

Favourite Genus: Polyrhachis 

Journal: Main

Instagram: australian_polyrhachis

May God Bless you.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: drugs, experiments, caffine, cocaine, research

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users