• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Future ant Nests

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#41 Offline antsriondel - Posted January 9 2022 - 3:34 PM

antsriondel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 913 posts
  • LocationRiondel British Columbia Canada.

You know what? Why even bother with glass? We need invisible force fields to keep the ants in.

haha yes!

• Antkeeper01 and Chickalo like this

#42 Offline Chickalo - Posted January 9 2022 - 4:56 PM

Chickalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationSalem, Massachusetts

A nest that neutralizes the pheromones of any colony inside of it, so you could plop multiple colonies of any species into it and they'd automatically get along with each other.

There is a way to have monotonous colonies with multiple queens btw. It just takes a good nest design.
Nah, I'm talking about making multi-species colonies without having to start with to queens using vinegar- like how you can mix two colonies of Anoplolepis gracilipes and they'll get along. That but two different species.
It wouldn’t work because disrupting pheromones would seriously mess up basic colony functions. You’d basically be blinding your colony.
You can. Just put mesh in between the nest, and allow them to develop the same nest scent for a few months. Then combine them and I think that would work, as long as the queen can’t go into the other nest.
With muti species that might work still… pretty sure how headhunter ants survive

Yes and no.

This only works with some polygynous species, and most of the time you can probably just dump them in with each other it will work.  This wouldn't work with multi species because no matter how long you do it, they aren't the same species so they wouldn't even recognize each other as ants (probably [maybe {not}]).  This is why you use vinegar when mixing them, it kinda erases the existing pheromones so they get replaced by the other queens-

It's complicated, don't do it.  Also Antdrew pointed out the flaws in it so like...?

• Antkeeper01 likes this

シグナチャーです。예.

#43 Offline PaigeX - Posted January 10 2022 - 3:59 AM

PaigeX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • LocationGympie, QLD, Australia

on the line of escape measures, what would work is a scent the ants will not walk over. Something that lasts a long time and that the ants won't dare to cross.

Edited by PaigeX, January 10 2022 - 4:00 AM.

• Antkeeper01 and Chickalo like this

Favourite Genus: Polyrhachis 

Journal: Main

Instagram: australian_polyrhachis

May God Bless you.

#44 Offline Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_* - Posted January 10 2022 - 12:35 PM

Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_*
  • Guests

on the line of escape measures, what would work is a scent the ants will not walk over. Something that lasts a long time and that the ants won't dare to cross.

You could play with pheromones. What about a fluon tape that lasted?
  • Antkeeper01 and PaigeX like this

#45 Offline Canadian anter - Posted January 10 2022 - 1:39 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada

Gel farms that actually work

Gel farms don’t work Becuase it doesn’t provide enough nutrient to the worker. Talk to NASA lol. Or you could feed your ants in the fel farm food.
No one said the gel had to be nutritional
So if there was a gel that the ants could dig through, but not eat it would be “working”?

they could eat or not eat, as long as they're able to survive

• Antkeeper01 likes this
Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#46 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted January 10 2022 - 1:51 PM

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Ideally I would want a nest that is completely invisible, so that it would look like my ants are just nesting in a pile on my desk, yet still being contained. I try to sell nests with great visibility, but something like this is really the ultimate goal for me. After all; what's the point of keeping ants if you can't even see them?

• ANTdrew, Antkeeper01, Chickalo and 1 other like this

#47 Offline ANTdrew - Posted January 10 2022 - 1:59 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Ideally I would want a nest that is completely invisible, so that it would look like my ants are just nesting in a pile on my desk, yet still being contained. I try to sell nests with great visibility, but something like this is really the ultimate goal for me. After all; what's the point of keeping ants if you can't even see them?

Invisible forcefields are the way to go.
How about this: species specific pheromone drops you could apply to get ants to do what you want, ie, move nest pheromone, trash pile pheromone, clean nest pheromone.
  • Antkeeper01, OiledOlives, Chickalo and 1 other like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#48 Offline PaigeX - Posted January 10 2022 - 4:20 PM

PaigeX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • LocationGympie, QLD, Australia

You could play with pheromones. What about a fluon tape that lasted?

that's ideal. Also a Vaseline and olive oil one because some can still cross over fluon.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

Favourite Genus: Polyrhachis 

Journal: Main

Instagram: australian_polyrhachis

May God Bless you.

#49 Offline ANTdrew - Posted January 10 2022 - 6:29 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Tape wouldn’t work because you’d have a seam that ants could grip on.
  • Antkeeper01 likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#50 Offline Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_* - Posted January 10 2022 - 9:19 PM

Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_*
  • Guests

O thought fluon worked for all… my fire ants walk over most barriers.

#51 Offline ANTdrew - Posted January 11 2022 - 3:12 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

O thought fluon worked for all… my fire ants walk over most barriers.
Fluon does work for all ants in low humidity conditions. The problem with a tape would be the seam where the two ends meet. That would be enough for escape artists to grip on. Brushing a liquid on is the way to go with Fluon.
  • Antkeeper01 likes this

#52 Offline Chickalo - Posted January 11 2022 - 7:29 AM

Chickalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationSalem, Massachusetts

Going off of the invisible nest, an invisible nest that's gyroscope type, so nobody how you turn it the nest stays stable and you can record shots from, say, below, or on the side instead of just the top.  It would probably look extremely stupid but still.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

シグナチャーです。예.

#53 Offline Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_* - Posted January 11 2022 - 12:44 PM

Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_*
  • Guests

Invisible forcefields are the way to go.
How about this: species specific pheromone drops you could apply to get ants to do what you want, ie, move nest pheromone, trash pile pheromone, clean nest pheromone.
Ants know what they need. This could be the death of ants
  • Antkeeper01 likes this

#54 Offline Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_* - Posted January 11 2022 - 12:47 PM

Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_*
  • Guests
This post really exploded not going to lie. When making acrylic nest, would people want all acrylic to be transparent, or colored like aus ants?
  • Antkeeper01 likes this

#55 Offline Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_* - Posted January 11 2022 - 12:52 PM

Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_*
  • Guests
This was originally for advice on nest people liked, as I am trying to form a company, but now I am interested to see what people can think of…. :)

#56 Offline Guest_StrickyAnts_* - Posted January 11 2022 - 3:23 PM

Guest_StrickyAnts_*
  • Guests

This post really exploded not going to lie. When making acrylic nest, would people want all acrylic to be transparent, or colored like aus ants?

I prefer transparent to be honest, but that's just a personal preference.

#57 Offline antsriondel - Posted January 11 2022 - 3:29 PM

antsriondel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 913 posts
  • LocationRiondel British Columbia Canada.

I would want a outworld with an automatic feeder that feeds my colony every four days so when I go on a vacation I don't have to worry about them dying of hunger.

#58 Offline NancyZamora4991 - Posted January 11 2022 - 4:37 PM

NancyZamora4991

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, California

I would want an automatic built in heating system inside the nest.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#59 Offline Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_* - Posted January 11 2022 - 5:17 PM

Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_*
  • Guests

I would want a outworld with an automatic feeder that feeds my colony every four days so when I go on a vacation I don't have to worry about them dying of hunger.

Sell fish feeder with flakes xD

#60 Offline Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_* - Posted January 11 2022 - 5:20 PM

Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_*
  • Guests

I would want an automatic built in heating system inside the nest.

Hmm… heating pads that come with the nest lol…. Or make empty layer of nest for pad

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users