• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Future ant Nests

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_* - Posted January 4 2022 - 4:01 PM

Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_*
  • Guests
What ant nests that are hard to get or don't exists would you like to see being sold?

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted January 5 2022 - 5:24 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I want to see a nest that is fully escape proof and easily expandable with a massive outworld for $0. The nest would be a smart nest with built in temperature and humidity sensors. A fleet of microbots would handle cleaning.
  • CheetoLord02, Kaelwizard, Antkeeper01 and 6 others like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline AntBoi3030 - Posted January 5 2022 - 7:27 AM

AntBoi3030

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • LocationMaryland
A nest that doesn’t get moldy and only needs to be hydrated every month or two. And you can adjust the humidity and temperature inside the nest as well.
  • ANTdrew, Antkeeper01 and PaigeX like this

My favorite queens/colony’s:
Pheidole Tysoni, Selonopis Molesta, Brachymyrmex Depilis, Tetramorium Immagrians, Prenolepis Imparis, Pheidole Bicirinata 

#4 Offline Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_* - Posted January 5 2022 - 6:23 PM

Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_*
  • Guests

I want to see a nest that is fully escape proof and easily expandable with a massive outworld for $0. The nest would be a smart nest with built in temperature and humidity sensors. A fleet of microbots would handle cleaning.

Let’s build it lol

A nest that doesn’t get moldy and only needs to be hydrated every month or two. And you can adjust the humidity and temperature inside the nest as well.

Adjustable with…a dial?

#5 Offline AntBoi3030 - Posted January 5 2022 - 6:56 PM

AntBoi3030

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • LocationMaryland
With a digital app from my phone :D
  • PaigeX likes this

My favorite queens/colony’s:
Pheidole Tysoni, Selonopis Molesta, Brachymyrmex Depilis, Tetramorium Immagrians, Prenolepis Imparis, Pheidole Bicirinata 

#6 Offline Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_* - Posted January 5 2022 - 8:50 PM

Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_*
  • Guests

With a digital app from my phone :D

That would sell for so much tho

#7 Offline Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_* - Posted January 5 2022 - 8:53 PM

Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_*
  • Guests
Literly, AC comes up with a piece of plastic nobody has, and prices it 10$(test tube portal)
  • PaigeX likes this

#8 Offline ANTdrew - Posted January 6 2022 - 4:27 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
The outworld of my future nest would have a vibration field around the lid and top edge that would disrupt ants’ grip. The microbot fleet would monitor the vibration forcefield constantly for any issues.
  • OiledOlives likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#9 Offline SYUTEO - Posted January 6 2022 - 4:39 AM

SYUTEO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

I want a nest that would not mold or requiring watering too often and is affordable.

• PaigeX likes this

Began antkeeping in 2018  :)

All ant journal: https://www.formicul...os-ant-journal/

#10 Offline PaigeX - Posted January 6 2022 - 10:23 PM

PaigeX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • LocationGympie, QLD, Australia

I would like a more variety of nests made for more certain species. I have to make my own until then xD

Favourite Genus: Polyrhachis 

Journal: Main

Instagram: australian_polyrhachis

May God Bless you.

#11 Offline ANTdrew - Posted January 7 2022 - 4:00 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
You all need to think bigger!

#12 Offline NicholasP - Posted January 7 2022 - 9:20 AM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts
  • LocationGrand Rapids, Michigan

My idea for a future ant nest that All I'd ever want is a ant nest with a knob to be able to adjust temperature of the whole nest. Not just one part of the nest. So then I can hibernate my ants easily.

• gs5248, AntBoi3030 and PaigeX like this

#13 Offline Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_* - Posted January 7 2022 - 11:57 AM

Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_*
  • Guests

My idea for a future ant nest that All I'd ever want is a ant nest with a knob to be able to adjust temperature of the whole nest. Not just one part of the nest. So then I can hibernate my ants easily.

I am creating a company so feedback counts

#14 Offline Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_* - Posted January 7 2022 - 11:59 AM

Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_*
  • Guests
So far the nest seem pretty cheap, but I won’t say anything just in case I change my mind about the company

#15 Offline NicholasP - Posted January 7 2022 - 6:49 PM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts

So far the nest seem pretty cheap, but I won’t say anything just in case I change my mind about the company

What type of nest are you making?

#16 Offline PaigeX - Posted January 7 2022 - 8:35 PM

PaigeX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • LocationGympie, QLD, Australia

Also, I know some people have said this and there are nests out there like it but I would also like more expandable nests to be available, Like you can click it together and you have another chamber to add space. (similar to Tar heel mini hearth nests but without the added outworld.) Should be cheaper over all having smaller compartments instead of buying whole nests that need more tubing to connect them from one nest to the other. Some nests have plastic slots you can pull out over time to add more room but these nests are only good for larger ants. Smaller ants can get through the small acrylic holes. All this would save time and money by not having to use more larger nests as the colony ( multiple different nests) grows and maybe giving too much space at first. Making the new nest you add a dumping ground. 
I know there are HappyAnt Hexanest Modules you can buy but they are not very cost effective. They are also made of corks and my Polyrhachis Ammon would make a right old mess chewing that all up until there is nothing left, making it pointless spending all that money for them to destroy it. So they are only good for some species. 

Edited by PaigeX, January 7 2022 - 8:45 PM.

• Antkeeper01 and gs5248 like this

Favourite Genus: Polyrhachis 

Journal: Main

Instagram: australian_polyrhachis

May God Bless you.

#17 Offline NicholasP - Posted January 7 2022 - 10:28 PM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Also, I know some people have said this and there are nests out there like it but I would also like more expandable nests to be available, Like you can click it together and you have another chamber to add space. (similar to Tar heel mini hearth nests but without the added outworld.) Should be cheaper over all having smaller compartments instead of buying whole nests that need more tubing to connect them from one nest to the other. Some nests have plastic slots you can pull out over time to add more room but these nests are only good for larger ants. Smaller ants can get through the small acrylic holes. All this would save time and money by not having to use more larger nests as the colony ( multiple different nests) grows and maybe giving too much space at first. Making the new nest you add a dumping ground. 
I know there are HappyAnt Hexanest Modules you can buy but they are not very cost effective. They are also made of corks and my Polyrhachis Ammon would make a right old mess chewing that all up until there is nothing left, making it pointless spending all that money for them to destroy it. So they are only good for some species. 

I've been meaning to try that out in My versions of THA lair for a while now but I keep forgetting to do so because I have to rush the nests out fast because all my ants are growing quickly. I'll try and see how a modular THA Lair looks tomorrow.

• PaigeX likes this

#18 Offline Leptomyrmx - Posted January 7 2022 - 10:34 PM

Leptomyrmx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Nests where you can easily take out brood for your parasitics or Dorylines, more natural nests made for species >1mm, and adjustable self-hydration.

• NickAnter, Antkeeper01, UtahAnts and 1 other like this

My Ants:

Colonies: Camponotus humilior 1w, Opisthopsis rufithorax 11w, Aphaenogaster longiceps ~5w, Pheidole sp. ~235w ~15m, Iridomyrmex sp. 2q 1w, Brachyponera lutea 6w, Crematogaster sp. ~20w, Podomyrma sp. 1w

Queens: Polyrhachis cf. robinsoni, Polyrhachis (Campomyrma) sp. (likely infertile)

Previously Kept: Colobopsis gasseri, Technomyrmex sp., Rhytidoponera victorae, Nylanderia cf. rosae, Myrmecia brevinoda/forficata, Polyrhachis australis, Solenopsis/Monomorium

Key: Q = Queen, W = Worker, M = Major

Youtube Channel: Ants of Sydney - YouTube

Patreon (for YouTube channel): https://www.patreon.com/antsofsydney

#19 Offline Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_* - Posted January 8 2022 - 9:24 AM

Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_*
  • Guests

What type of nest are you making?
When the company starts, only acrylic nest that come in different colors
If it gets enough sales, I will introduce natural nest, and possibly plaster(but it is only good for a few species)

#20 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted January 8 2022 - 9:28 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

Something easily expandable that wouldn't take up too much space. Also, it wouldn't need to be watered often and would be mold-proof. An outworld that can be easily removed and attached to different parts of the nest would also be interesting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users