• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Future ant Nests

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#61 Offline PaigeX - Posted January 11 2022 - 5:40 PM

PaigeX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • LocationGympie, QLD, Australia

This post really exploded not going to lie. When making acrylic nest, would people want all acrylic to be transparent, or colored like aus ants?

I like some clear and some colour transparent. I do like the looks of Ausants nests. 

Favourite Genus: Polyrhachis 

Journal: Main

Instagram: australian_polyrhachis

May God Bless you.

#62 Offline ANTdrew - Posted January 11 2022 - 6:54 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,411 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
What about the forcefields, though?
  • Antkeeper01, OiledOlives, antsriondel and 1 other like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#63 Offline PaigeX - Posted January 11 2022 - 9:03 PM

PaigeX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

give it another 20 years and you should have your forcefields  :D

• ANTdrew and Antkeeper01 like this

May God Bless you.

#64 Offline Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_* - Posted January 12 2022 - 12:57 PM

Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_*
  • Guests
20 years, give or take 20 xD
  • PaigeX likes this

#65 Offline OiledOlives - Posted January 12 2022 - 2:08 PM

OiledOlives

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationVirginia

I'd like a nest that's modular, connected perfectly to a huge outworld with magnets, normal nest chambers, and totally free. I'd also like the outworld lid to be easily opened, unlike many  outworlds we have on the market today. The substrate on the outworld should be pretty sand with decorations such as small rocks and fake plants. Tubing should fit perfectly into the ports so that even the smallest species cannot escape. The plaster used to make the nest should be incredibly hard yet easy to hydrate so that even destructive ants such as S. molesta group and T. caespitum group cannot escape. The glass on the nests should be perfectly cut to fit every modular piece and should be very clear. Plaster should have some sort of sand coating. Should mimic nests of ants that are found in the wild with one style for each of the common ground nesting genera we have here in Virginia. Hydration should be similar to the water tower except the plaster goes up to the edge of the mesh so ants cannot escape. Nests should be painted shiny colors. They should also be totally free in order to provide wonderful nests to the community. In fact, the seller should acquire export permits for Formica aserva, obscuripes, and obscuriventris and other cool ants and include colonies that are well past the founding stage in the same shipment as the nests. Unfortunately, this will never happen and is all a joke. 

#66 Offline antsriondel - Posted January 12 2022 - 6:19 PM

antsriondel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 915 posts
  • LocationRiondel British Columbia Canada.

I'd like a nest that's modular, connected perfectly to a huge outworld with magnets, normal nest chambers, and totally free. I'd also like the outworld lid to be easily opened, unlike many  outworlds we have on the market today. The substrate on the outworld should be pretty sand with decorations such as small rocks and fake plants. Tubing should fit perfectly into the ports so that even the smallest species cannot escape. The plaster used to make the nest should be incredibly hard yet easy to hydrate so that even destructive ants such as S. molesta group and T. caespitum group cannot escape. The glass on the nests should be perfectly cut to fit every modular piece and should be very clear. Plaster should have some sort of sand coating. Should mimic nests of ants that are found in the wild with one style for each of the common ground nesting genera we have here in Virginia. Hydration should be similar to the water tower except the plaster goes up to the edge of the mesh so ants cannot escape. Nests should be painted shiny colors. They should also be totally free in order to provide wonderful nests to the community. In fact, the seller should acquire export permits for Formica aserva, obscuripes, and obscuriventris and other cool ants and include colonies that are well past the founding stage in the same shipment as the nests. Unfortunately, this will never happen and is all a joke. 

if only

#67 Offline Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_* - Posted January 13 2022 - 6:59 AM

Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_*
  • Guests

I am making a company so… I might do that without the free part

#68 Offline ANTdrew - Posted January 13 2022 - 1:43 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,411 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
It takes a lot of time, money, and resources to make a company.
  • OiledOlives and PaigeX like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#69 Offline Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_* - Posted January 13 2022 - 2:06 PM

Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_*
  • Guests

It takes a lot of time, money, and resources to make a company.

I have that…

#70 Offline AntBoi3030 - Posted January 15 2022 - 7:13 PM

AntBoi3030

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • LocationMaryland
Can I get a friends discount :D?
  • Antkeeper01 likes this

My favorite queens/colony’s:
Pheidole Tysoni, Selonopis Molesta, Brachymyrmex Depilis, Tetramorium Immagrians, Prenolepis Imparis, Pheidole Bicirinata 

#71 Offline Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_* - Posted January 17 2022 - 8:55 PM

Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_*
  • Guests

Can I get a friends discount :D?

Lol. For the time being, I may develop a company for flordia queens, than try to get permits to ship them. Like for real though, people of flordia need a reliable trachymyrmex dealer
  • Antkeeper01 likes this

#72 Offline ANTdrew - Posted January 18 2022 - 3:05 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,411 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
What are flordia queens?
  • Antkeeper01 and OiledOlives like this

#73 Offline antsriondel - Posted January 18 2022 - 10:55 AM

antsriondel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 915 posts
  • LocationRiondel British Columbia Canada.

What are flordia queens?

I think he meant Florida queens

#74 Offline Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_* - Posted January 18 2022 - 9:19 PM

Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_*
  • Guests

What are flordia queens?

Shipping native queens through flordia so I don’t need permit
Sorry for spelling, I spelled Floridanus right but not Florida right lol

#75 Offline Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_* - Posted January 20 2022 - 12:03 PM

Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_*
  • Guests
What ants are actually good for plaster nest? Do people buy plaster nest?

#76 Offline ANTdrew - Posted January 20 2022 - 12:46 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,411 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Plaster nests are superior for basically all ants.

#77 Offline Skwiggledork - Posted January 20 2022 - 7:53 PM

Skwiggledork

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • LocationUlster county, NY

What if we took those magnetic levitating plant pots and just slapped a formicarium on it? lol

• ANTdrew and PaigeX like this

#78 Offline ANTdrew - Posted January 21 2022 - 3:32 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,411 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I think you’re on to something, Skwiggle!
  • PaigeX likes this

#79 Offline PaigeX - Posted January 21 2022 - 6:49 AM

PaigeX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Something like this that has all the nesting chambers go around the whole thing. So you can see ants no matter what way its facing.

floating ant farm.png

• AntBoi3030 likes this

May God Bless you.

#80 Offline ANTdrew - Posted January 21 2022 - 2:34 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,411 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Something like this that has all the nesting chambers go around the whole thing. So you can see ants no matter what way its facing.

floating ant farm.png

Exactly! Levitate the whole thing, and you’d never have to worry about escapes.
  • AntBoi3030 and PaigeX like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users