About a week ago I ordered two Pogonomyrmex Occidentalis queens. The shipping process did not go well. The package did not arrive until 4 days after it was supposed to (my fault for ordering around Christmas) and was left in my mailbox. I was not home when they arrived, and it was only 9 degrees F. I had my friend pick then up for me, but I wasn’t quite quick enough. When I got home I opened my package, and saw one queen that had drowned due to her test tube flooding (likely caused by the change in temp), and another queen that looked great but no longer had the worker it had been shipped with. I’m not really sure what happened to this worker, but it was very much dead.
After this sad news I was left with one living queen. I will now have to get her to refound. I gave her some dandelion seeds, (which she didn’t touch) and a piece of meal worm (which she ate happily). I will try to update this journal. Please cross your fingers for my queen!
Ew, I’m sorry the photos are horizontal. Tilt your head I guess