• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Kadin's prenolespis imparis journal

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Offline KadinB - Posted August 22 2021 - 4:29 PM

KadinB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 778 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

So I caught some prenos in the spring of 2021 at the Sacramento zoo. The wing speed was high when they flew. The temp was around low 70s. I was able to catch 4 females in total. I could have gotten a few more but it was in a zoo with 100s of people all over the place. 2 were dealates and 2 had wings on. Then a few weeks before going on that trip I ended up catching a queen in my backyard why doing yard work. She was the brown regular variety. The ones at the Sacramento zoo are dark variety. I also saw tons of formica moki there everywhere. But the prenos were very common there. I took the 4 home and put them all in 1 separate test tube before I knew they allowed more than one queen. I ended up releasing those other 2 with wings on at my house cause they weren't mated I'm pretty sure. Then I had 3 queens in total (all dealates). But you know how prenos are in growth. Took weeks to lay and for brood to develop etc. One queen died which was one of the dark ones and I decided to put the other two together and they joined just fine. The one I put in the other queens tube had no eggs. I Then checked on them every 2 weeks until workers. They ended up getting workers on time. When they got their first workers they only got 2. They were also kept and room temp and still are. They currently have 20 workers. Their second generation was massive. 18+ workers. They have repletes of course and are still in a test tube. I wanna get them a mini hearth but can't afford it. I will be adding a outworld for them to forage around in soon. Both queens are still doing great to. They should have low 20s workers when their done with this generation which should be done in a few days. I see no eggs and I see 3 pupae and that's all the brood left. I am loving these ants so far and they definitely need some patience for founding stage. But once you get them past founding they start to grow faster. They got 20 workers in 1 season and with 2 queens. Is that a good amount? I am also surprised for how many workers they got for 2nd gen.

• m99 likes this

#2 Offline KadinB - Posted August 24 2021 - 3:28 PM

KadinB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 778 posts

Looks like their down to the last larvae/brood. I think they may be done for the season. These are probably some of my fav ants I have rn.

Edited by KadinB, August 26 2021 - 3:57 PM.

#3 Offline mmcguffi - Posted August 24 2021 - 6:10 PM

mmcguffi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

I've never kept this species so I don't know if that is a normal amount of workers (seems good to me), but I would love to see pictures!

#4 Offline KadinB - Posted August 26 2021 - 3:57 PM

KadinB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 778 posts

yes they are fun! will be able to post next week.

I've never kept this species so I don't know if that is a normal amount of workers (seems good to me), but I would love to see pictures!

• m99 likes this

#5 Offline m99 - Posted August 26 2021 - 5:07 PM

m99

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • LocationCT

Nice. I got a good look at my crew today and they've got about 22 workers, and the guy I bought them from caught them earlier this spring too. So seems like that's a healthy numbered batch all around for a first summer, cheers!

#6 Offline AntBoi3030 - Posted August 26 2021 - 5:11 PM

AntBoi3030

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • LocationMaryland
Can’t wait for 2022 when we can add queens to our colony’s!

My favorite queens/colony’s:
Pheidole Tysoni, Selonopis Molesta, Brachymyrmex Depilis, Tetramorium Immagrians, Prenolepis Imparis, Pheidole Bicirinata 

#7 Offline KadinB - Posted August 26 2021 - 5:12 PM

KadinB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 778 posts

Nice. I got a good look at my crew today and they've got about 22 workers, and the guy I bought them from caught them earlier this spring too. So seems like that's a healthy numbered batch all around for a first summer, cheers!

Oh that's awsome! The repletes are also another thing that interest me a lot with them. I would say they are very easy to care for and people like to over exaggerate them being really hard to care for. My friend also had big flight at his house and he caught a ton and put 3-5 queens together and they all did good. 

Can’t wait for 2022 when we can add queens to our colony’s!

Oooo same here. I plan on adding ones I catch locally. If I do get any.

• m99 likes this

#8 Offline futurebird - Posted August 26 2021 - 5:50 PM

futurebird

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 774 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY
I'm kind of obsessed with this species. I wonder if given an super tall nest would they dig super deep?

VhLrFrK.png

Starting this July I'm posting videos of my ants every week on youTube.

I like to make relaxing videos that capture the joy of watching ants.

If that sounds like your kind of thing... follow me >here<

#9 Offline AntBoi3030 - Posted August 26 2021 - 5:58 PM

AntBoi3030

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • LocationMaryland

I'm kind of obsessed with this species. I wonder if given an super tall nest would they dig super deep?VhLrFrK.png

I’m not sure if they would, the reason why they dig so deep is to get to cool temperatures. If they’re in a setup indoors they probably won’t because it would be the same temperature everywhere. Maybe if you heated the top they would!
  • KadinB and futurebird like this

Pheidole Tysoni, Selonopis Molesta, Brachymyrmex Depilis, Tetramorium Immagrians, Prenolepis Imparis, Pheidole Bicirinata 

#10 Offline KadinB - Posted August 27 2021 - 5:18 PM

KadinB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 778 posts

Looks like their down to the last larvae/brood. I think they may be done for the season. These are probably some of my fav ants I have rn.

I saw 2 pupae today my bad. I fed them today. I gave them lot's of sugar water and they now have tons of repletes!

• Antkeeper01 and AntBoi3030 like this

#11 Offline KadinB - Posted August 28 2021 - 9:57 AM

KadinB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 778 posts

Just counted how many workers they have. They got 25-28! That's a great number of workers. They are easy to feed also and they all like to hang out near the cotton. Gonna add their out world soon. I will also be posting pics later today!

• Antkeeper01 and m99 like this

#12 Offline KadinB - Posted August 28 2021 - 3:13 PM

KadinB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 778 posts
I got some really nice pictures of them just now. Here you all go! Also looks like Tapatalk says I have reached the limit for images I can post for this month sadly. I got a way better picture I’ll see I can try to post it still or find someway for you all to see.89bef503117492ecf84ad70310a268bf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Antkeeper01, AntBoi3030, DaAnt and 1 other like this

#13 Offline KadinB - Posted August 28 2021 - 3:16 PM

KadinB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 778 posts
There we go! I posted it on my Instagram. Here’s the link.

https://www.instagra...edium=copy_link

• AntBoi3030 likes this

#14 Offline AntBoi3030 - Posted August 28 2021 - 5:42 PM

AntBoi3030

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • LocationMaryland
Your prenos seem to be a lot darker than mine!

#15 Offline KadinB - Posted August 28 2021 - 6:39 PM

KadinB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 778 posts

Yep. I got 2 variety's together. I got the dark black ones which I got from sacremento and then the brown colored ones I got from here in my town. I think that makes the colony even more special because there's two different variety's in there.

• Antkeeper01, AntBoi3030, m99 and 1 other like this

#16 Offline AntBoi3030 - Posted August 29 2021 - 6:33 AM

AntBoi3030

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Yep. I got 2 variety's together. I got the dark black ones which I got from sacremento and then the brown colored ones I got from here in my town. I think that makes the colony even more special because there's two different variety's in there.
Very cool! Mine are orange.
  • KadinB likes this

#17 Offline KadinB - Posted August 29 2021 - 11:01 AM

KadinB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 778 posts

Very cool! Mine are orange.

Oh wow that's very cool!

#18 Offline KadinB - Posted September 5 2021 - 11:27 PM

KadinB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 778 posts
Got a really cool pic of the repletes with green sugar water inside of them.

9c59a25ef85accbccb9583b974498962.jpg

7bccb417a2161536ad80954cf32cab37.jpg

Edited by KadinB, September 6 2021 - 2:33 PM.

• AntBoi3030 likes this

#19 Offline Antcatcherpro3 - Posted September 6 2021 - 6:56 AM

Antcatcherpro3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Wow! That's cool. I've always wanted to try that with my Prenos but I never got the chance to.

• KadinB likes this

#20 Offline AntBoi3030 - Posted September 6 2021 - 2:31 PM

AntBoi3030

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Got a really coo pic of the repletes with green sugar water inside of them.

Could i share a photo of mine? (I don’t want to highjack your thread)
  • KadinB likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users