• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Chasicle’s Pogonomyrmex Occidentalis Journal

pogonomyrmex occidentalis pogonomyrmex occidentalis harvester

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Chasicle - Posted December 28 2021 - 8:19 PM

Chasicle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationSpokane Washington, USA
I know this isn’t the first time you’ve heard of Pogonomyrmex Occidentalis, but I thought I’d make a journal anyway.

About a week ago I ordered two Pogonomyrmex Occidentalis queens. The shipping process did not go well. The package did not arrive until 4 days after it was supposed to (my fault for ordering around Christmas) and was left in my mailbox. I was not home when they arrived, and it was only 9 degrees F. I had my friend pick then up for me, but I wasn’t quite quick enough. When I got home I opened my package, and saw one queen that had drowned due to her test tube flooding (likely caused by the change in temp), and another queen that looked great but no longer had the worker it had been shipped with. I’m not really sure what happened to this worker, but it was very much dead.

After this sad news I was left with one living queen. I will now have to get her to refound. I gave her some dandelion seeds, (which she didn’t touch) and a piece of meal worm (which she ate happily). I will try to update this journal. Please cross your fingers for my queen!
Ew, I’m sorry the photos are horizontal. Tilt your head I guess

Attached Images

• 494CA7DF-29D4-45FD-8F23-3139D798C304.jpeg
  • 53CB0FBD-2CE8-4248-805B-4516093067AC.jpeg

• Antkeeper01, Chickalo, AntBoi3030 and 1 other like this

#2 Offline Chasicle - Posted December 28 2021 - 10:34 PM

Chasicle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
Hey, so you know how I said her worker was dead? Well it’s not. I walked into my room tonight and saw a Pogonomyrmex worker sanding on my queens test tube! Some how i didn’t notice it when moving the queen or the whole night. The thing I saw and thought was the ant wasn’t I guess.

This is very good news. I will update as soon as something happens!
  • Antkeeper01, Chickalo and PaigeX like this

#3 Offline Chasicle - Posted December 29 2021 - 10:24 AM

Chasicle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
Well, so much for that worker. I woke up this morning to find it dead. :( I’m not sure what happened to it but I know it’s not great news.
  • Antkeeper01 and Chickalo like this

#4 Offline Chickalo - Posted December 30 2021 - 8:05 PM

Chickalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationSalem, Massachusetts

Dang, keep trying Chasicle, I have 100% faith in you!  Also, wow Pogonomyrmex occidentalis?  What's that?  I've never heard of it.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

シグナチャーです。예.

#5 Offline Chasicle - Posted December 31 2021 - 2:21 PM

Chasicle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Dang, keep trying Chasicle, I have 100% faith in you!  Also, wow Pogonomyrmex occidentalis?  What's that?  I've never heard of it.

Lmaoo yeah. Wish me luck I really hope I can get this queen to start up a colony.
  • Antkeeper01 and Chickalo like this

#6 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted January 3 2022 - 12:44 AM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
Keeping her warm (high 80’s to 90+F) may help, I was able to refound some P. montanus queens this way. Good luck, I hope she makes it!
  • Antkeeper01 likes this

Instagram          Journal           Shop

#7 Offline Chasicle - Posted January 4 2022 - 4:27 PM

Chasicle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Keeping her warm (high 80’s to 90+F) may help, I was able to refound some P. montanus queens this way. Good luck, I hope she makes it!

thanks very much! I have her on a heating cable.

#8 Offline Chasicle - Posted January 22 2022 - 9:36 PM

Chasicle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
Sadly, the queen died. She was acting healthy, but I guess she was not. I will be getting more queens this spring and will revive this journal. Bye for now
  • PaigeX likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pogonomyrmex, occidentalis, pogonomyrmex occidentalis, harvester

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users