• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Temnothorax sp.?

acorn ant

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Offline frostymayfly - Posted February 27 2022 - 2:13 AM

frostymayfly

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationCalifornia City California
Any ideas on species? Very tiny workers

Attached Images

• Screenshot_20220227-015901~2.jpg
  • Screenshot_20220227-015906~2.jpg

#2 Offline frostymayfly - Posted February 27 2022 - 2:40 AM

frostymayfly

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Found in Maryland.

#3 Offline ColAnt735 - Posted February 27 2022 - 6:09 AM

ColAnt735

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • LocationOntario,Canada

I think these are Temnothorax ambiguus or Temnothorax curvispinosus.

Edited by ColAnt735, February 27 2022 - 9:11 AM.

"If an ant carries an object a hundred times it's weight,you can carry burdens many times your size.

#4 Offline NickAnter - Posted February 27 2022 - 8:08 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Certainly Temnothorax of some kind.

Perhaps T. illegalensis?

I cannot claim to know much of Eastern Temnothorax, so I can't distinguish between ambiguus and curvispinosus without looking thru the key.

Edit: I'm leaning towards curvispinosus because of those spots the workers appear to have on their gasters, ambiguus are not supposed to have those.

Edited by NickAnter, February 27 2022 - 8:12 AM.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#5 Offline OiledOlives - Posted February 27 2022 - 8:33 AM

OiledOlives

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationVirginia

The best way to differentiate between T. curvipsinosus and T. ambiguus is by the length of the propodeal spines on the workers. T. curvispinosus have much longer spines compared to the smaller spines of T. ambiguus.

#6 Offline ANTdrew - Posted February 27 2022 - 12:12 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

The best way to differentiate between T. curvipsinosus and T. ambiguus is by the length of the propodeal spines on the workers. T. curvispinosus have much longer spines compared to the smaller spines of T. ambiguus.

How do you kids learn all this stuff??
  • TennesseeAnts likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#7 Offline ColAnt735 - Posted February 27 2022 - 1:06 PM

ColAnt735

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • LocationOntario,Canada

We need better pictures in order to find the exact species maybe if you took a picture from the side we could see the length of the propodial spines. For now I think we can safely say its either Temnothorax curvispinosus or Temnothorax ambiguus.

"If an ant carries an object a hundred times it's weight,you can carry burdens many times your size.

#8 Offline Manitobant - Posted February 27 2022 - 3:51 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada

We have no life.
  • Kaelwizard, Antkeeper01, OiledOlives and 2 others like this

#9 Offline ColAnt735 - Posted February 27 2022 - 4:29 PM

ColAnt735

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • LocationOntario,Canada
Agreed
  • Antkeeper01, azzaaazzzz00 and lazyant like this

#10 Offline OiledOlives - Posted February 28 2022 - 8:58 AM

OiledOlives

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Bored in school.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#11 Offline ColAnt735 - Posted February 28 2022 - 9:24 AM

ColAnt735

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • LocationOntario,Canada

Bored in school.

For me its a mixture of being bored at school like OiledOlives and staying up until 4 am researching ants while staring at a small screen.

Edited by ColAnt735, February 28 2022 - 9:25 AM.

• Antkeeper01 and azzaaazzzz00 like this

#12 Offline frostymayfly - Posted February 28 2022 - 1:24 PM

frostymayfly

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Thanks for all the replies. I'm not sure if I can get any better pictures of these guys from the side but I'll try.
  • Antkeeper01 likes this

#13 Offline ColAnt735 - Posted March 1 2022 - 9:03 AM

ColAnt735

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • LocationOntario,Canada

Thanks for all the replies. I'm not sure if I can get any better pictures of these guys from the side but I'll try.

Its fine if you can't but we just won't be able to verify the exact species.

#14 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted March 6 2022 - 12:40 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

Pretty sure their care is the exact same, so if you can't get picture of the spines I wouldn't worry about it too much.

#15 Offline azzaaazzzz00 - Posted March 6 2022 - 4:02 PM

azzaaazzzz00

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationBogota, NJ

We have no life.

Basicly sums up half the population on earth

Edited by azzaaazzzz00, March 6 2022 - 4:02 PM.

• Kaelwizard and ColAnt735 like this
Been keeping ants since January of 2021

Always try new things, even if its hard, hard is not impossible. We are smart and it's good to be smart but not too smart for your own good.

#16 Offline ColAnt735 - Posted March 7 2022 - 5:40 AM

ColAnt735

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • LocationOntario,Canada

We have no life.

Basicly sums up half the population on earth

Agreed.

#17 Offline James C. Trager - Posted March 7 2022 - 9:22 AM

James C. Trager

Expert

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

The dark band on the gaster of workers hints at T. curvispinosus. T. ambiguus tends to be all orangey with no black or dark brown on the gaster. There is also a tendency for habitat differentiation, with T. curvispinosus in woods, and T. ambiguus in fields.
Note; Queens of both species have darker gasters, so other characteristics needed to ID.

Edited by James C. Trager, March 7 2022 - 9:24 AM.

• TennesseeAnts, ANTdrew and Manitobant like this

#18 Offline Manitobant - Posted March 7 2022 - 6:36 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada

The dark band on the gaster of workers hints at T. curvispinosus. T. ambiguus tends to be all orangey with no black or dark brown on the gaster. There is also a tendency for habitat differentiation, with T. curvispinosus in woods, and T. ambiguus in fields.
Note; Queens of both species have darker gasters, so other characteristics needed to ID.

Damn. Its been years since I’ve seen you on here.

#19 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted March 10 2022 - 4:01 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

Antwiki is a great source. 

I'm also going to say T. curvispinosus.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: acorn ant

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users