Hey there again!
I found another Queen while walking around outside. At first I thought she was a fluffy worker so I picked her up with a container to have a closer look. Only then did I see the wing scars on her thorax.
She is smaller than Polyrhachi Ammon but I think Larger than Polyrhachi Vermiculosa. I forgot to get the mm of her size in the picture but I think you get the drift.
1. Location of collection: CURRA, QLD, Australia
2. Date of collection: 20-21 of November 2021
3. Habitat of collection: Open woodlands
4. Length (from head to gaster): Around 10mm
5. Colour, hue, pattern and texture: Golden colour on Gaster. rest mainly black with some metallic shine. Has some hairs visible all over body.
6. Distinguishing characteristics: 100% a spiny ant as she has the distinctive pairs of spines.
I think she's either a little larger Polyrhachi Vermiculosa or Polyrhachi Aurea but I'm not experienced enough to tell the difference between them.
Thank you for reading
un1.jpg 158.58KB 3 downloads
un2.jpg 147.56KB 3 downloads
un3.jpg 181.44KB 3 downloads
un4.jpg 179.38KB 3 downloads
Edited by PaigeX, November 25 2021 - 1:19 AM.