• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Highlights of the 2021 season

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Manitobant - Posted October 1 2021 - 9:55 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
As the weather gets colder and the 2021 anting season comes to a close, i feel that it is time to make my yearly “highlights of the season” thread. This is a thread for talking about our biggest catches, discoveries, achievements and overall highlights of the season.

Like always, i will start:

2021 has definitely been my best anting season in terms of the quantity of queens caught. I probably caught close to 500 queens of various species, including 70 parasitic lasius queens, 175 myrmica queens and 50 formica queens. I also caught 2 polyergus colonies, successfully founded parasitic lasius and found crematogaster, which is a new record for manitoba.
  • ANTdrew, Antkeeper01, ANTS_KL and 2 others like this

#2 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted October 1 2021 - 10:09 AM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationA random state in the US

This has been my best season because I have applied for a permit for 6 species which are Myrmecocystus navajo, Myrmecocystus mexicanus, Myrmecocystus mimicus, Myrmecocystus mendax, Myrmecocystus placodops, and Pogonomyrmex rugosus it was applied for a month ago 3 days ago and it hasn't even gone into scientific review yet sooooo. But vie found lots of species I've never seen before and that's great and I now have a place for Pheidole flights.

• ANTS_KL and azzaaazzzz00 like this

1X Pogonomyrmex occidentalis 40-50 Workers

1X Solenopsis molesta 10 Workers (mono)

Ants I Want: Crematogaster sp, Camponotus Sp., Ponera Pennsylvanica, Mymercocystus sp.

My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube....kUjx-dPFMyVqOLw

Join Our Fledgling Discord Server https://discord.com/...089056687423489

#3 Offline ANTdrew - Posted October 1 2021 - 12:55 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
2021 wasn’t that great for me in terms of ants. I’d say the highlight was learning how to find Aphaenogaster queens by blacklighting at dawn. Another highlight was watching my big Crematogaster colony stage a nuptial flight on my patio. I also got two other species to alates, Pheidole bicarinata and Nylanderia vividula.
  • ConcordAntman and UtahAnts like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#4 Offline NickAnter - Posted October 1 2021 - 2:09 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

2021 was an incredible year for me.

I caught around 30 Strumigenys queens, caught a bunch of parasitic Lasius, along with so many other species.

I have also finally managed to get Hypoponera to lay eggs, and get a stable Temnothorax colony. I have also gotten a hopefully stable Solenopsis truncorum colony. I was able to get a polygynous Solenopsis "plebeius" colony to over 300 workers as of now, and they grow all year. I was able to get a parasitic Lasius queen to larvae, not sure if they will pupate before or after hibernation, and I also got an S. amblychila queen to lay eggs(sadly died). I was able to find Monomorium at over 7,000 feet in elevation, in a place far away from any records of the genus.

• Antkeeper01 and UtahAnts like this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#5 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted October 1 2021 - 2:19 PM

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

I got Pheidole rhea. I actually caught Pheidole rhea. And she didn't die! I still can't believe it, it feels like a crazy dream. 

I also got several more insane species that have become some of my favorite colonies ever, like Polyergus topoffi, Pheidole obtusospinosa, etc.

I even started a business! Starting arthropodantics.com was a crazy dream of mine but so far so good with it, so I suppose it's here to stay!

Furthermore, not necessarily related to ants, but I finally found a Scolopendra heros, which is amazing. I've been looking for one for like a year now!

• ANTdrew, Manitobant, MinigunL5 and 1 other like this

#6 Offline JamesJohnson - Posted October 1 2021 - 2:36 PM

JamesJohnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

It wasn't the best year, having only found one flight in all my searching, but I've learned a lot of stuff while doing so and am (hopefully) more prepared for next year. 

As for highlights I have to say finding Leptomyrmex darlingtoni was definitely up there. 

Edited by JamesJohnson, October 1 2021 - 2:37 PM.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#7 Offline NancyZamora4991 - Posted October 1 2021 - 3:06 PM

NancyZamora4991

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, California

this my best year (first year) and I caught 80 Lasius queens, one parasitic formica(mold grew on it and I had no host workers) 3 infertile unknown queens, Pheidole and Aphaenogaster occedentals queens

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#8 Offline B_rad0806 - Posted October 1 2021 - 4:17 PM

B_rad0806

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 690 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Early on I caught a bunch of Camponotus. Caught M. placodops which I spent a while figuring out where to catch, obtained A. versicolor, finally got a colony of N. cockerelli going, and caught a total of 116 P. rugosus this season. Sadly missed out on most Myrmecocystus this year due to a vacation, but I luckily made up for it with all them rugosus lol

Edited by B_rad0806, October 1 2021 - 9:18 PM.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

Journals:

Ant Journals

Shop:

Brad's Ant Adoption

Instagram:

brad_ants

YouTube:

B_rad0806

#9 Offline M_Ants - Posted October 1 2021 - 8:23 PM

M_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationSan Diego CA

Catching a yogi.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

Veromessor pergandei

Veromessor andrei

Crematogaster sp. 

Pogonomyrmex cf cali and rugosus

Various Pheidole

C. yogi 

https://www.youtube....FG7utFVBA/about

#10 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted October 3 2021 - 10:42 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California
Back in Michigan I saw the most Prenolepis imparis I have seen in my life. After I moved to California I found a S. xyloni queen, who was sadly infertile, but it gives me hope for finding more next summer.

#11 Offline Leptomyrmx - Posted October 6 2021 - 1:52 PM

Leptomyrmx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

It wasn't the best year, having only found one flight in all my searching, but I've learned a lot of stuff while doing so and am (hopefully) more prepared for next year. 

As for highlights I have to say finding Leptomyrmex darlingtoni was definitely up there. 

Queen or workers?

And aren't L. darlingtoni only found in parts of Australia?

And for me, I'm midway through the anting season, but on the first day of spring I found about 6 Iridomyrmex queens... actually not many seeing everyone saying that they found 500 queens in a few months...

Can't wait for summer though so I can catch some night-flying species, and for lockdown to end so I can go into the desert and see what I can find there.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

My Ants:

Colonies: Camponotus humilior 1w, Opisthopsis rufithorax 11w, Aphaenogaster longiceps ~5w, Pheidole sp. ~235w ~15m, Iridomyrmex sp. 2q 1w, Brachyponera lutea 6w, Crematogaster sp. ~20w, Podomyrma sp. 1w

Queens: Polyrhachis cf. robinsoni, Polyrhachis (Campomyrma) sp. (likely infertile)

Previously Kept: Colobopsis gasseri, Technomyrmex sp., Rhytidoponera victorae, Nylanderia cf. rosae, Myrmecia brevinoda/forficata, Polyrhachis australis, Solenopsis/Monomorium

Key: Q = Queen, W = Worker, M = Major

Youtube Channel: Ants of Sydney - YouTube

Patreon (for YouTube channel): https://www.patreon.com/antsofsydney

#12 Offline antgallery - Posted October 6 2021 - 5:03 PM

antgallery

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • LocationTroy, MO

Maybe not the greatest but I found a lasius queen.  :D

• Antkeeper01, KadinB, eea and 1 other like this

#13 Offline mmcguffi - Posted October 6 2021 - 6:06 PM

mmcguffi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

I've been trying to get Atta texana for the past 3 years, and this year I finally caught the main flight and successfully raised a number of colonies :) 

• Antkeeper01 and eea like this

#14 Offline JamesJohnson - Posted October 6 2021 - 8:00 PM

JamesJohnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Queen or workers?

Workers only. I found them in a (mostly) undisturbed part of Hawaii near a waterfall. Seeing ho they forage was quite cool. There were thousands of them each foraging in a specific spot individually, almost blanketing the terrain in ants, which was added upon immensely by their disposition.

#15 Offline Leptomyrmx - Posted October 6 2021 - 8:08 PM

Leptomyrmx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Queen or workers?

Workers only. I found them in a (mostly) undisturbed part of Hawaii near a waterfall. Seeing ho they forage was quite cool. There were thousands of them each foraging in a specific spot individually, almost blanketing the terrain in ants, which was added upon immensely by their disposition.

Wow, sounds amazing, that's another thing I'll do once I'm out of lockdown, spider and hunting with help from iNat. :P Guess we can't always trust antmaps! I thought they were only native to Australia. Maybe they're introduced there or something.

• Antkeeper01 and eea like this

My Ants:

Colonies: Camponotus humilior 1w, Opisthopsis rufithorax 11w, Aphaenogaster longiceps ~5w, Pheidole sp. ~235w ~15m, Iridomyrmex sp. 2q 1w, Brachyponera lutea 6w, Crematogaster sp. ~20w, Podomyrma sp. 1w

Queens: Polyrhachis cf. robinsoni, Polyrhachis (Campomyrma) sp. (likely infertile)

Previously Kept: Colobopsis gasseri, Technomyrmex sp., Rhytidoponera victorae, Nylanderia cf. rosae, Myrmecia brevinoda/forficata, Polyrhachis australis, Solenopsis/Monomorium

Key: Q = Queen, W = Worker, M = Major

Youtube Channel: Ants of Sydney - YouTube

Patreon (for YouTube channel): https://www.patreon.com/antsofsydney

#16 Offline ReignofRage - Posted October 6 2021 - 8:25 PM

ReignofRage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 662 posts
  • LocationCalif.

Catching several Camponotus yogi.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#17 Offline M_Ants - Posted October 6 2021 - 8:26 PM

M_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationSan Diego CA

You stole mine and did it better.  :*(

• Antkeeper01 likes this

Veromessor pergandei

Veromessor andrei

Crematogaster sp. 

Pogonomyrmex cf cali and rugosus

Various Pheidole

C. yogi 

https://www.youtube....FG7utFVBA/about

#18 Offline JamesJohnson - Posted October 6 2021 - 8:50 PM

JamesJohnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

I thought they were only native to Australia. Maybe they're introduced there or something.

There are no native ants to Hawaii, so probably yeah.

#19 Offline ReignofRage - Posted October 6 2021 - 9:03 PM

ReignofRage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 662 posts
  • LocationCalif.

You stole mine and did it better.  :*(

You'll do better next year. :)

#20 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted October 7 2021 - 5:18 AM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationA random state in the US

I thought they were only native to Australia. Maybe they're introduced there or something.

There are no native ants to Hawaii, so probably yeah.

if i am correct there is atleast like 1 sp of undescribed ant in Hawaii

1X Pogonomyrmex occidentalis 40-50 Workers

1X Solenopsis molesta 10 Workers (mono)

Ants I Want: Crematogaster sp, Camponotus Sp., Ponera Pennsylvanica, Mymercocystus sp.

My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube....kUjx-dPFMyVqOLw

Join Our Fledgling Discord Server https://discord.com/...089056687423489

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users