• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Highlights of the 2021 season

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 Offline Chickalo - Posted October 7 2021 - 5:55 AM

Chickalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationSalem, Massachusetts

2021, I cried a lot.

Ratio of lasius parasites to normal queens I found, 420:69

Started a channel, got 31 subscribers.  Got the majority of my colonies.

Swore loudly in front of a child by accident after being stung multiple times (goddammit Myrmica), multiple times...

Found a "magic" rock which has a new insect under it every time I flip it (Something like, Formica, Castaneus, Crematogaster, Termites, Ponera)

That's all I can remember, I'll edit more in later maybe

シグナチャーです。예.

#22 Offline GreekAnts - Posted October 8 2021 - 12:36 PM

GreekAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationAthens, Greece

I found 10 camponotus queens in august, 6 died unfortunately but I hope the 4 remaining will make it.
Today it rained a lot and I went out for a walk while the rain was just some drops and I found 1 messor queen without wings, I saw some queens with wings but let them there, I went home because it started to rain hard again, after the rain stopped I went outside again and I found 22 queens and run out of test tubes,when I was heading back home I saw a lot of queens and I started to take them from the street and throw them in the grass on a park to at least save some of them and people was looking at me like I was a junkie.. :lol: , in my way home some males got attracted to my bag and got on me, it was really nice, anyway after I got home I made setups for them, got new tubes and after some hours I went to a park and found another 19 queens, I actually found a lot more but I stopped because I said its enough for now, I will go tomorrow to another place and I think I may find something interesting.

edit: This morning I went for a walk and found another 9 queens outside, some on the sidewalk running around and some chased by other ants, I am happy I found them because I can give them a chance, I will try to give away queens to local guys to get them in the hobby!  :)

Edited by GreekAnts, October 9 2021 - 4:35 AM.

• ConcordAntman, ANTdrew and antgallery like this

#23 Offline ConcordAntman - Posted October 11 2021 - 12:03 PM

ConcordAntman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

It’s been a mixed year. I had a 2020 C. pennsylvanicus colony succumb while my 3 other ones seem to soldier on (thankfully). We had a rainy humid grey summer with a 2 week 95-100 degree stretch. It wasn’t the most conducive for nuptial flights. Hoping for a rejuvenating diapause for my colonies. 

• ANTdrew and GreekAnts like this

#24 Offline ANTdrew - Posted October 11 2021 - 12:46 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

I found 10 camponotus queens in august, 6 died unfortunately but I hope the 4 remaining will make it.
Today it rained a lot and I went out for a walk while the rain was just some drops and I found 1 messor queen without wings, I saw some queens with wings but let them there, I went home because it started to rain hard again, after the rain stopped I went outside again and I found 22 queens and run out of test tubes,when I was heading back home I saw a lot of queens and I started to take them from the street and throw them in the grass on a park to at least save some of them and people was looking at me like I was a junkie.. :lol: , in my way home some males got attracted to my bag and got on me, it was really nice, anyway after I got home I made setups for them, got new tubes and after some hours I went to a park and found another 19 queens, I actually found a lot more but I stopped because I said its enough for now, I will go tomorrow to another place and I think I may find something interesting.

edit: This morning I went for a walk and found another 9 queens outside, some on the sidewalk running around and some chased by other ants, I am happy I found them because I can give them a chance, I will try to give away queens to local guys to get them in the hobby! :)

Remember when you worried about finding a queen!?
  • ConcordAntman, Antkeeper01 and GreekAnts like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#25 Offline GreekAnts - Posted October 11 2021 - 2:52 PM

GreekAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationAthens, Greece

Today it rained a lot and I went out for a walk while the rain was just some drops and I found 1 messor queen without wings, I saw some queens with wings but let them there, I went home because it started to rain hard again, after the rain stopped I went outside again and I found 22 queens and run out of test tubes,when I was heading back home I saw a lot of queens and I started to take them from the street and throw them in the grass on a park to at least save some of them and people was looking at me like I was a junkie.. :lol: , in my way home some males got attracted to my bag and got on me, it was really nice, anyway after I got home I made setups for them, got new tubes and after some hours I went to a park and found another 19 queens, I actually found a lot more but I stopped because I said its enough for now, I will go tomorrow to another place and I think I may find something interesting.

edit: This morning I went for a walk and found another 9 queens outside, some on the sidewalk running around and some chased by other ants, I am happy I found them because I can give them a chance, I will try to give away queens to local guys to get them in the hobby! :)

Remember when you worried about finding a queen!?

Yeah,I am really happy that I manage to have some colonies and manage to find that many queens, I mean it was a dream for me and it become true, really thanks to you guys for helping me out, can't wait to see my ants grow and help local ant keepers by giving them some colonies!

• ConcordAntman and antgallery like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users