• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Camponotus Pennsylvanicus queen acting weird?

camponotus pennsylvanicus camponotus pennsylvanicus queen nanitic

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Nervous_Twitch - Posted September 30 2021 - 2:33 PM

Nervous_Twitch

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hey guys new to the forum so I'm not sure if this is the exact place to put this question. Essentially over the summer I got a camponotus pennsylvanicus- carpenter ant- queen from an overnight bug collecting trip. Throughout the summer she was doing well and laying eggs in a test tube set up but then I moved back to my college house and during the move she ate her first Nanitic and also the rest of the brood as all of them just essentially disappeared overnight. I'm assuming she cannibalized them. I have her now in an AC hybrid nest designed for camponotus species. I also have a heating pad right above it, so that way it stays warm through the hybrid nest and I've also been hydrating the hybrid nest as well. However no new eggs or anything like that she essentially just sits there and does nothing. Is there anything I can do in order to help her get the egg processed moving? Any advice would be a appreciated

Edited by Nervous_Twitch, September 30 2021 - 2:34 PM.

• azzaaazzzz00 likes this

#2 Offline Manitobant - Posted September 30 2021 - 2:52 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
Put her back in a test tube. A common mistake new antkeepers make is moving ants into a formicarium too early, which, if the colony isn’t big enough, can seriously stress out the queen. She also may be waiting until after hibernation to start laying again, so when you put her back in the test tube be sure to stick her in the fridge for a few months.
  • Antkeeper01, PetsNotPests and eea like this

#3 Offline ConcordAntman - Posted October 1 2021 - 4:11 AM

ConcordAntman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

I agree with Manitobant but I wouldn’t expect her to be laying any eggs now. If you’re in a northern location, you must be nearing diapause. Here in New England, we’re preparing to put our colonies down for the winter. At this point your queen would be preparing her brood to hibernate. The concern is that she may not have enough reserves to make it through the fall and winter without the support of her nanitics. In the run-up to diapause foragers transition from proteins to binge carbohydrates. I’d recommend you stop feeding protein and supply hummingbird nectar (be aware it can ferment) or ByFormica Sunburst (long shelf life). Though honey doesn’t spoil, I’d avoid it as you’ll find many posts of ants getting stuck in it and dying. In preparation for diapause I’d also lose the heating pad. The target temperatures would be in 48-54 degrees. The links below might help. Good luck!

https://www.formicul...anicus/?p=31507

https://www.formicul...ginners/?p=1409

• ANTdrew, Antkeeper01 and Chickalo like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: camponotus, pennsylvanicus, camponotus pennsylvanicus, queen, nanitic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users