• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Small Queen in Dade City, FL 3/8/22

Best Answer CheetoLord02 , March 8 2022 - 10:01 PM

Definitely Solenopsis invicta. I am sorry for your loss.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Offline JasperNeedsHelp - Posted March 8 2022 - 8:03 PM

JasperNeedsHelp

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationDade City, FL
Today I found this lovely lady (my first queen!) in my very own front yard, and I almost thought she was a worker until I noticed she looked odd. I was wandering down my little brick walkway where lots of ants usually make their way and spotted her and had to pick her up. I got her settled into a very temporary jar setup, and I will be moving her to a tube as soon as I can get one. The pictures are a bit blurry and don't do her a lot of justice as she didn't like to sit still and I'm still getting used to my phone camera, but she's a pretty deep shade of reddish brown to her gaster, which is a much darker, almost black shade of reddish brown and has a few lightish colored hairs. She's got a v-shaped pattern on her backside, and she's got visible wing scars from what I can see. She's about two centimeters long or so, I haven't gotten an exact measurement of her yet but she's rather small.

The thing is, I don't know if she's been mated or not because I found her today. Which I thought was odd, I wasn't expecting to find anything for a few months, hence my lack of preparation for her. Could she have a colony elsewhere perhaps? Or are there queens in flight that I'm just unaware of? My apologies for my many questions, I am new to the hobby!

Edited by JasperNeedsHelp, March 8 2022 - 9:58 PM.

• ANTS_KL, PaigeX and ColAnt735 like this
Beginner seller, intermediate keeper, long-time enthusiast! Currently keeping:
- x2 Solenopsis invicta queen w/ brood
- x3 Dorymyrmex bureni queen w/ brood
- x1 Crematogaster Emery queen
- x1 Camponotus castaneus queen w/ brood
- x1 [i]Camponotus tortuganus
queen w/ brood
- x13 [i]Camponotus floridanus
queens w/ brood

#2 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted March 8 2022 - 8:12 PM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Welcome to the community! Your queen looks to be a species in the genus Solenopsis. I cannot give you an exact species because I don't know much about Solenopsis. She is probably walking around after a nuptial flight that happened earlier. Good luck!

• JasperNeedsHelp likes this
Young ant keeper with a decent amount of knowledge on local ant species.

YouTube: https://m.youtube.co...uKsahGliSH7EqOQ (It's pretty dead. Might upload again soon, don't expect my voice to sound the same though.)

Currently kept ant species, favorites have a star in front of their names (NOT in alphabetical order, also may be outdated sometimes): Camponotus irritans inferior, Ooceraea biroi, Pheidole parva, Nylanderia sp., Paraparatrechina tapinomoides, Platythyrea sp., Anochetus sp., Colobopsis sp. (cylindrica group), Crematogaster ferrarii, Polyrhachis (Myrma) cf. pruinosa, Polyrhachis (Cyrtomyrma) laevissima, Tapinoma sp. (formerly Zatapinoma)

Death count: Probably over a hundred individual queens and colonies by now. I cannot recall whatsoever.

#3 Offline ColAnt735 - Posted March 8 2022 - 9:08 PM

ColAnt735

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • LocationOntario,Canada

This queen is a Solenopsis species and is most likely Solenopsis invicta (Or Red Imported Fire Ant, RIFA for short )based on the V shaped markings on the thorax and that the head is not bulky enough for Solenopsis geminata. We would need to see the mandibles in order to count the mandibular teeth if there are three mandibular teeth this queen is Solenopsis invicta two mandibular teeth this queen is Solenopsis xyloni. These ants are apparently very easy to keep  ( I can't confirm through personal experience because we don't have RIFA in Canada) these ants also grow super fast.

Edited by ColAnt735, March 9 2022 - 5:48 AM.

• ANTS_KL, JasperNeedsHelp and lazyant like this

"If an ant carries an object a hundred times it's weight,you can carry burdens many times your size.

#4 Offline JasperNeedsHelp - Posted March 8 2022 - 9:56 PM

JasperNeedsHelp

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationDade City, FL

This queen is a Solenopsis species this is most likely Solenopsis invicta (Or Red Imported Fire Ant, RIFA for short )based on the V shaped markings on the thorax and that the head is not bulky enough for Solenopsis geminata. We would need to see the mandibles in order to count the mandibular teeth if there are three mandibular teeth this queen is Solenopsis invicta two mandibular teeth this queen is Solenopsis xyloni.

I don't suppose this image would help any?

I might have to wait until tomorrow morning to take some more pictures of her, and I can try to get some close-ups of her head if that would be more efficient?

Anyways, thank you both very much for your input so far! It's been extremely helpful already!
  • ANTS_KL and ColAnt735 like this
queen w/ brood
queens w/ brood

#5 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted March 8 2022 - 10:01 PM   Best Answer

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

• TennesseeAnts, Antkeeper01, Chickalo and 3 others like this

#6 Offline JasperNeedsHelp - Posted March 8 2022 - 10:02 PM

JasperNeedsHelp

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationDade City, FL

My loss?? Why would she be a loss? :')
  • ANTS_KL and ColAnt735 like this
queen w/ brood
queens w/ brood

#7 Offline ColAnt735 - Posted March 8 2022 - 10:03 PM

ColAnt735

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • LocationOntario,Canada

These pictures clarify it. That is Solenopsis invicta a major pest and explode in population but fun to keep none the less. 

Edited by ColAnt735, March 9 2022 - 10:49 AM.

• Antkeeper01, ANTS_KL and lazyant like this

"If an ant carries an object a hundred times it's weight,you can carry burdens many times your size.

#8 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted March 8 2022 - 10:26 PM

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

They can be a nightmare to keep. Extremely fast growth, huge colonies, and very aggressive with a painful sting. If they get out of control it can be quite unfortunate, and it's very easy for them to get out of control

• TennesseeAnts, Antkeeper01, ANTS_KL and 2 others like this

#9 Offline antgallery - Posted March 9 2022 - 12:46 PM

antgallery

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • LocationTroy, MO

Sorry for your loss is exactly what I thought when I saw the first picture. Probably not the best first species to keep.

#10 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted March 9 2022 - 3:48 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

They can be a nightmare to keep. Extremely fast growth, huge colonies, and very aggressive with a painful sting. If they get out of control it can be quite unfortunate, and it's very easy for them to get out of control

I think you misspelled "when".

• CheetoLord02, ANTdrew and azzaaazzzz00 like this

#11 Offline azzaaazzzz00 - Posted March 9 2022 - 3:53 PM

azzaaazzzz00

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationBogota, NJ

LOL, it took me a while to relize what you meant :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Edited by azzaaazzzz00, March 9 2022 - 3:53 PM.

• TennesseeAnts and ColAnt735 like this
Been keeping ants since January of 2021

Always try new things, even if its hard, hard is not impossible. We are smart and it's good to be smart but not too smart for your own good.

#12 Offline AntsDakota - Posted March 9 2022 - 4:39 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

The species is notorious for being ravenous, aggressive, unmanageable for ant keepers, and destructive to crops and the ecosystem (I wouldn't be surprised if this species alone is partially responsible for all ants being classified as "plant pests" and thus banned from inter-state travel without a permit).

• TennesseeAnts likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#13 Offline ZTYguy - Posted March 9 2022 - 11:49 PM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts
  • LocationNorthridge, California
Invicta sucks, that species alone has caused this community of ant keepers more strife and hardship than any battle of power between people in this hobby. As AntsDakota said previously, this species is the main antagonist to this hobby.
Currently: Considering moving to Australia
Reason: Myrmecia

#14 Offline JasperNeedsHelp - Posted March 10 2022 - 9:42 AM

JasperNeedsHelp

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationDade City, FL
So what in summary should I do with her? I guess it won't be beneficial to keep her as you guys mentioned, but what should be done with her? Should I maybe exterminate her since she's a considerable pest? Or just release her, which isn't what I'm thinking tbh... I don't know if she'd even be worth a trade either, I'm kinda bummed the first queen wasn't really a keeper-worthy species :(

Edited by JasperNeedsHelp, March 10 2022 - 9:45 AM.

queen w/ brood
queens w/ brood

#15 Offline United-Ants - Posted March 10 2022 - 10:11 AM

United-Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts
  • LocationUtah United States

keep her   how i control any ant  sp is to limit  there protein and give them more sugar water  limit the heat    

• TacticalHandleGaming likes this

#16 Offline TacticalHandleGaming - Posted March 10 2022 - 11:44 AM

TacticalHandleGaming

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 726 posts
  • LocationOregon

If acquiring/building bigger nests for you isn't an issue... Why not keep her? Just limit food accordingly and you can keep them from getting too out of control. While I personally wouldn't keep her, don't let people discourage you from doing so. 

Just know they are escape artists, and can be very aggressive. 

Edited by TacticalHandleGaming, March 10 2022 - 11:44 AM.

• CheetoLord02 and United-Ants like this

Currently kept species

L. neoniger, P. occidentalis, C. modoc, C. novaeboracensis, C. vicinus, T. immigrans, A. occidentalis, S. molesta, P. imparis, M. kennedyi, M semirufus, F. pacifica, P. californica, M. ergatogyna.

Previously kept species

T. rugatulus, B. depilis.

Looking for

Myrmecocystus pyramicus, Myrmecocystus testaceus

Pheidole creightoni, Pheidole inquilina, Crematogaster coarctata, Crematogaster mutans

My youtube channel.  My ant Etsy store - Millennium Ants

#17 Offline Manitobant - Posted March 10 2022 - 12:23 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada

So what in summary should I do with her? I guess it won't be beneficial to keep her as you guys mentioned, but what should be done with her? Should I maybe exterminate her since she's a considerable pest? Or just release her, which isn't what I'm thinking tbh... I don't know if she'd even be worth a trade either, I'm kinda bummed the first queen wasn't really a keeper-worthy species :(

i personally wouldn’t listen to what the others here said. While invicta can get out of control very quickly, you can always freeze the colony if they start to cause problems. Invicta are also very hard to kill, meaning they are perfect for learning the basics of ant care.
  • CheetoLord02, OiledOlives and TacticalHandleGaming like this

#18 Offline AntsDakota - Posted March 10 2022 - 12:26 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

You can keep her if you want; it's not doing anyone any harm (except maybe you if you get stung or they start escaping). Just DO NOT release them. You'll do your local native ants a favor. If you really don't want to deal with that, you can freeze her, but you don't have to.

• TennesseeAnts and TacticalHandleGaming like this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#19 Offline Chickalo - Posted March 10 2022 - 1:30 PM

Chickalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationSalem, Massachusetts

"Sorry for your lost," final last words

Basically what everybody else already said, plus a couple side notes.

First, the whole "not easy to kill" thing is kinda a blursing, because on one hand it's not a "Whoops, I overwatered my colony and now they're drowning," but on the other hand it's also a "Whoops, I let my colony get out of control and now they're taking over the greater Tampa area."  Again, do be careful with how much you feed them.  I do recommend you keep them, but I also don't.  If you are going to keep them, prepare to buy a god's worth of fluon and make sure you have pest control on speed dial in a worst case scenarios (good luck explaining that one).  

You've already heard it all, don't let them escape, don't overfeed them, etc etc.

Edit:  I'm realising now I said "First," without having a second...

Edited by Chickalo, March 10 2022 - 1:31 PM.

シグナチャーです。예.

#20 Offline Manitobant - Posted March 10 2022 - 7:15 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
As i said, he can always freeze them if the colony gets out of control. Invicta are actually quite fun to keep until they suddenly aren’t…
  • CheetoLord02 and TacticalHandleGaming like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users